Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me why coaches don't watch shoot around to see who might have a hot hand that night?

I went to the Nets/Knicks at the Garden and as I watched the shoot around Zoran must have hit something like 10+ in a row from 3 pt range. He wasn't missing! Then Frank keeps him glued to the bench all night. At the time I looked around to see coaches and not one was out there watching the guys shoot. It surprised me. I know you can't count on that because it's not in game and there is no defense, but when it comes to subs it would make me go with Zoran over Buford if he looked sharp at shoot around. Surprising they don't monitor it.

People who say Zoran needs to work on his shot are mistaken. The guy can really shoot. Must get really frustrating when you hit that many in a row during shoot around and you don't play.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
I guess its a good point (especially in this case cause it means zoran getting minutes and buford not getting them), but I mean, its a lot easier to knock down shots in shoot around then in a game when there is someone playing D. And sometimes the energy of the game can get a shooter going, like last night, once a few people started making threes, that gets the rst of the team going and then they start doing better.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Shoot around are different than in-game situations. Like practices, Brandon Armstrong was a dead eye shooter, we hardly saw that of him in-game.

-Petey

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Petey said:
Shoot around are different than in-game situations. Like practices, Brandon Armstrong was a dead eye shooter, we hardly saw that of him in-game.

-Petey
Yeah, I agree about in game and acknowledged that, but if you are searching for scoring and looking for a sub I would think that would be another tool to help a coach decide. By not watching shoot around he has one less bit of info to help him with his substitution situations. Frank isn't alone, the Knicks didn't watch either.

Also, Zoran has shown he can stroke it in games. He is hitting 43.5% including 40% from 3 pt range. Armstrong stunk in games.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Seems like somebody should be keeping an eye on it. It probably shouldn't be the deciding factor, but it could be added into the equation.

And yes, I agree the Zoran has become quite a shooter. He looks smoothe and comfortable out there w/ his stroke these days.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
That was missing last night, we needed Krstic to hit a 3.

-Petey

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
things change when you have a guy's hand in your face, but that's why frank should play zoran more with kidd, so he'll get more open looks.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I agree that a coach shouldn't put a player in just because of shoot around, but in the Nets case, it's not exactly like we have anyone lighting it up outside of Carter and Kidd. Worth a try if nothing else, especially if it gets Zoran more minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts