Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a new thread where I will post short stories here and there.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Distanced Destruction

This window is my new life. I sit in front of it every day and watch every occurence. My wife does not share my enthusiasm. She sits in the corner, her head buried in her arms, rocking back and forth. Today is no different. I am in front of this window, she is curled up attempting to escape what I celebrate.

"Honey, come and look outside, it's beautiful", I said. Initially she looked away but then spun around with an angry glare upon her face.

"How can you sit there and just watch. Our world, our friends, our lives are destroyed", she began to increase the volume of her voice, "This buttoned-down life you despised is gone and you are reveling in every single second of its ultimate destruction."

I smiled and turned back towards the window. How many days did I look out this window at the identical houses painted in identical shades of grey and never notice the beauty? The houses are still covered in hues of grey...same as before...but the ash now complements the red sky, creating that cliched version of the future I saw a million times. In those films and television shows, the world portrayed was nightmarish and chaotic. In reality, I have never felt more at peace.

Leaning back in my chair, I noticed my wife staring intently into the whites of my eyes. She arose from a position she maintained for three months and began walking towards the front door.

"Where are you going honey?" I inquired.

"Outside", she replied.

For an instance fear became my primary emotion. It faded as most things do. My wife is predictable, a coward for the most part, and suddenly she is going to turn against her natural instincts and walk into hell...unlikely.

"Honey stop trying to scare me. We both know you are not going outside", I disdainly commented.

She never bothered to reply; instead swinging the door open and disappearing from my sight. I sprung up from my chair and raced around the corner and out the door. There she was frozen looking over the horizon, now visible through the shells of former homes.

"Let's go inside", I begged.

She did not respond. So I sat there on the steps of our house, the only remnant of an eliminated era and watched my wife become hypnotized. Five minutes later she turned to me and said, "It is beautiful. Come here and share with me."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts