Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Darko is averaging 2.5 blocks in 19 minutes for Orlando, his defense is fantastic. Ben is averaging 2.2 in 36 minutes. Both are averaging around 7 points. Orlando is playing much better now since Darko joined the team, he is getting better each game. It is diffficult to score inside when Dark is in the game.

Darko would already put up better stats in all categories if he was playing 36 minutes....he should be playing 36 minutes soon as Orlando is a better team with him in the lineup.

The way Darko is starting to develop, I would say by next season he will be better than Ben next season.

Darko is showing unreal talent in Orlando, skills you don't see in big men. His passing is better than anybody expected, His defense is first rate and he has nice shooting range. This going to be a tough package to matchup once he puts it all together.

Looks like the Pistons might have let the wrong guy go.

"They (Howard and Milicic) are one of the reasons we shot (33) percent," Szczerbiak said. "I think we were seeing shadows every time we came into the paint. Normally, we are a better shooting team than this. It was a combination of their defense and our legs not being there."

With his new found freedom from deep in the Pistons bench, Darko is pushing Hill for more minutes and
to play a bigger role on Offensive. These kind of demands would put him back on the end of the bench for the Pistons. Orlando, now knows they have a gem with freaky skills for a 7 footer, they will do whatever they can to keep Darko happy. Is this the bad attitude that we heard about Darko, that he wants to play and have a bigger role.

Reactions: NR 1

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Darko wont be better than Ben anytime soon. If ever....Darko is playing well and garnering some aknowledgement in Orlando. Once Darko hits his comfort zone and understands the game a little better I am sure the Magic will have a top notch duo in the double Ds. This year should really be thought of as Darkos rookie season, he is getting the court time with Orlando that he would have gotten with a losing team that would have actually had the #2 pick. I think Hill will eventually get Darko in for 30 minutes a night, and at that time I think D will be a good bet at a double double every night. But remember, with more minutes will come fatigue and reaching on defense, this will almost assuredly cause D to foul more often. If Darko really works on his conditioning this off season? I think he will be a real steal for Orlando.
But better than Ben??? I dont think so...

·
Registered
58 Posts
orlando is a horrible team who can afford togive him 19 minutes and take chances darko didn't have that energy in detroit and would never produce those kinda number's here.
fault?larry brown for darkos lack of confidence in detroit!

·
Premium Member
9,280 Posts
Darko is a better shot blocker than Ben Wallace is now, but I think Ben Wallace has a lot more to worry about than Darko does.

I've always been a fan of Darko and hoped that the day would come where we could actually say that Darko even has a chance of being better than Ben Wallace. Well, it's hear, but I don't think it will be next season, maybe the season after that.

Even still, Darko would never do what he is doing in Orlando in Detroit, unless Dumars gave up either Rasheed or Ben Wallace...which would hurt our chances to win a championship now.

That being said, why the hell did we not just keep Darko? Who knows. Joe D effed up. Signing Ben to a long term contract should not have been one of Joe's concerns if he wants to have a good team in the future.

Darko was our future, and we traded it for a few more years at the top.

·
kiss my grits
18,595 Posts

I don't think it is unquestionable to say Darko is a better shotblocker than Ben right now. Or for that matter the best shotblocker in the league. Over the last 7-8 games the Orlando Magic announcers tonight said his blocks per 48 mins was a little over 8. That is pretty fantastic. And even better, Darko's shotblocking has gotten Dwight to start blocking more shots recently.

As far as the rest of their games they are too different to really compare. Ben is focused on defense and rebounding. Darko will never rebound like Ben nor will he really need to. But he'll probably end up much better offensively than Ben .. not only scoring but making passes.

I've always supported Darko against the idiots calling him a bust and I have to say so far he's made a much greater impact on Orlando than I expected in such a short period of time.

And Arroyo has turned out to be much more than just a throw-in. At home he's been very good and I think just having Arroyo could net Orlando an extra 3-4 wins at home next year just because of the crowd support he is bringing.

·
Restore the Roar
7,385 Posts
To say Darko is the best shot blocker in the league is an insult to some pretty talented shot blockers out there, like Ben and Rasheed, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo... Darko Milicic is LONG AS ****. No doubt about it. But he takes risks and gets called on them... if Alonzo Mourning went out there and took every risk, getting himself into foul trouble... he'd have an 8 blocks per 48 average as well, but he doesn't. He's careful about his foul situation.

Mind you, this is no slight to Darko... but Darko is still a developing prospect. I'm a HUGE fan of his... and I think that in two years he WILL be the best shot blocker in the league, but right now he's still learning the craft, he's still easing himself into the NBA game at full speed on big minutes.

He's going to be an all star one day, but he isn't up there yet.

-Chris.
ps-sorry to all Pistons fans about my lack of columns... I've got a new job that has me on the road for weeks at a time.. next stop lexington kentucky... hopefully I can pop out an article this weekend before I leave!

·
kiss my grits
18,595 Posts
ChrisWoj said:
To say Darko is the best shot blocker in the league is an insult to some pretty talented shot blockers out there, like Ben and Rasheed, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo... Darko Milicic is LONG AS ****. No doubt about it. But he takes risks and gets called on them... if Alonzo Mourning went out there and took every risk, getting himself into foul trouble... he'd have an 8 blocks per 48 average as well, but he doesn't. He's careful about his foul situation.

Mind you, this is no slight to Darko... but Darko is still a developing prospect. I'm a HUGE fan of his... and I think that in two years he WILL be the best shot blocker in the league, but right now he's still learning the craft, he's still easing himself into the NBA game at full speed on big minutes.

He's going to be an all star one day, but he isn't up there yet.

-Chris.
ps-sorry to all Pistons fans about my lack of columns... I've got a new job that has me on the road for weeks at a time.. next stop lexington kentucky... hopefully I can pop out an article this weekend before I leave!
I don't think it is a slight to those guys at all. Yes, Darko is long a ****, but he's also got incredible timing on blocking shots and usually stays on his feet until the shots go up.

I haven't seen Darko taking too many risks. He hasn't really gotten himself into much foul trouble, if any, and most of his blocks have been clean as a whistle.

·
Restore the Roar
7,385 Posts
He averages 2.6 fouls in 21 minutes of action per night. He comes up around 40 minutes a night, that puts him at an average of five fouls, potentially fouling out on some nights and not getting many fouls on others... but fouling out a lot all the same. He DOES take risks, I've seen it in his play, he's reckless in going for blocks at times.

Sure he's good at it, and he will improve, but to say he has it down to a T right now? No way.

·
kiss my grits
18,595 Posts
Gotham2krazy said:
Ben Wallace can block everyone, Darko just blocks his player. Darko can't grab boards like Ben, neither does he have hands that poke away the ball or take it way like Ben.

I don't think anybody is saying Darko will or can rebound like Ben.

As far as shotblocking, Darko most definitely does not only get blocks on his own man. He gets a lot of help blocks.

And I still haven't seen the recklessness in Darko going for blocks.

·
Restore the Roar
7,385 Posts
One block.
Six fouls.
29 minutes.

I didn't get a chance to see the game, being back in Toledo and not down south on the road for work... so I'm curious... what risks did Darko not take to accumulate six fouls like that in only 29 minutes?

-Chris.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
ChrisWoj said:
One block.
Six fouls.
29 minutes.

I didn't get a chance to see the game, being back in Toledo and not down south on the road for work... so I'm curious... what risks did Darko not take to accumulate six fouls like that in only 29 minutes?

-Chris.

He had horrible touch fouls called on him all game. A few of them, he didn't even touch his man.

·
kiss my grits
18,595 Posts
ChrisWoj said:
One block.
Six fouls.
29 minutes.

-Chris.

:laugh: .. I figured i'd see this after that game with you trying to prove your point. Had you watched the game you would have known that it had nothing to do with him taking risks on blocks. A couple of the calls were downright bad calls ... and not on block attempts but just taking position down low. So no, that game didn't prove your point. A lot of tough calls on Darko in this one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.