Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trader Bob = playoffs

John Nash = Lotto

If you want to make some noises, you need Trader Bob?

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
For various reasons Bob Whitsitt ruined this franchise. Although I don't think John Nash is the best replacement rehiring Bob Whitsitt would infuriate most everyone.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I actually wouldn't mind, but I agree with Mediocre Man. It would infuriate a lot of people, and probably shouldn't be done.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He can trade, Nash can't.

Nash can't trade = Blazers are doomed.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When Bob is in Seattle, Sonics almost won the title.

When Bob is in Portland, Blazers almost won the title.

He can make 10 trades this season, do you agree?

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Ballscientist said:

Ever wonder why he got fired from the Seahawks too?

I mean how do you fire a guy from 2 Franchises then rehire him?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Trader Bob with all of his trades, never brought us a superstar. If you want to count Scottie Pippin who was a shell of his former self than you can say he brought one. Nash was charged with getting rid of players. Trader Bob had a endless payroll to grab players be wanted. I am not a Nash fan at all, but Trader Bob isn't the answer either.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Ballscientist said:

actually, when he was in Seattle they almost *didn't* win the title.

It was after he left and was in Portland for a season that they went to the finals.

either way, it's unfair and rather niave to compare TB's whole career vs Nash's first 2 seasons with Portland.

And, afterall, Nash actually *did* win a title.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Hap said:
actually, when he was in Seattle they almost *didn't* win the title.

It was after he left and was in Portland for a season that they went to the finals.
And those players he acquired like, oh, Shawn Kemp, were just cheerleading the TRUE Sonics stars, when they won 2 games off the 72-win Bulls?

either way, it's unfair and rather niave to compare TB's whole career vs Nash's first 2 seasons with Portland.
I think everyone was being polite by not bringing up Nash's tenure in NJ.

And, afterall, Nash actually *did* win a title.
Really? Players he acquired were the key to which title? (Serious question - I didn't know he was GM of any winning team.)

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
meru said:
Really? Players he acquired were the key to which title? (Serious question - I didn't know he was GM of any winning team.)
Philly in 1983.

He was there 9 years.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
While I'm on the subject:

If Nash's job was just to cut payroll as fast as possible, he was doing okay until the Zach, Darius and Ratliff signings, which everyone is very down on. So he can't even break the team up well! Hell, Pat Whatsisname in Orlando managed THAT. Whitsitt, on the other hand, managed to rebuild without even missing the playoffs.

Oh, and to the person who asked, which "star player" Whitsitt acquired? Well, which "star player" has Joe Dumars acquired? I don't think anyone would be averse to having HIM as our GM, do you?

Whitsitt wore out his welcome. Larry Brown does that everywhere he goes. Would the Clippers re-hire Larry Brown? In a second. Should the Blazers re-hire Whitsitt? If he's healthy, he's the best candidate out there.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Fork said:
Philly in 1983.

He was there 9 years.
Interesting. I see that info on the Blazers page. Of course, it doesn't say WHICH 9 years, and which players he acquired. If his first year as GM was 1983 and he didn't get any of the players... And I notice it doesn't say he drafted Barkley, which you think it would, as that's a pretty good pick.

As it is, the best pick he made would probably have to be Tom Gugliotta, just because he was surprisingly good. Rasheed was okay as a #4 pick, but that's about where everyone had him pegged, and, of course, Garnett was next at #5.

Whitsitt can still claim to have drafted BOTH Kemp AND Jermaine O'Neal in the low teens. And the Bullets were WOEFUL while Nash was there, as were the Nets.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
meru said:
And those players he acquired like, oh, Shawn Kemp, were just cheerleading the TRUE Sonics stars, when they won 2 games off the 72-win Bulls?
whats this have to do with what i said? Trader Bob was working IN PORTLAND when the Sonics made their trip to the finals.

hold on, so we have to judge someone on the players they've acquired? I guess maybe that means we should judge Nash on longer than just 2 years.

btw, altho he was an assistant GM at the time (hey, if Wayne Cooper can get props for what Geoff Petrie does..) he was there when they traded for Moses Malone. And drafted Chuck Barkley.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
meru said:
Interesting. I see that info on the Blazers page. Of course, it doesn't say WHICH 9 years, and which players he acquired. If his first year as GM was 1983 and he didn't get any of the players... And I notice it doesn't say he drafted Barkley, which you think it would, as that's a pretty good pick.

As it is, the best pick he made would probably have to be Tom Gugliotta, just because he was surprisingly good. Rasheed was okay as a #4 pick, but that's about where everyone had him pegged, and, of course, Garnett was next at #5.

Whitsitt can still claim to have drafted BOTH Kemp AND Jermaine O'Neal in the low teens. And the Bullets were WOEFUL while Nash was there, as were the Nets.
If he was in New Jesrey 96-2001...and 6 years prior to that WDC..simple math shows he would've been there from at the latest 81-90.

Btw, part of the reason why New Jersey and the Bullets sucked while he was there was poor coaching, poor ownership and short sighteded drafted.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
meru said:
While I'm on the subject:

If Nash's job was just to cut payroll as fast as possible, he was doing okay until the Zach, Darius and Ratliff signings, which everyone is very down on. So he can't even break the team up well! Hell, Pat Whatsisname in Orlando managed THAT. Whitsitt, on the other hand, managed to rebuild without even missing the playoffs.
he wasn't here to "just" cut payroll. It was to make the payroll reasonable, and not continue to sign guys that were questionable in character, or refusing to talk to the media.

People are down on the signings for the 2 reasons. A: because they're still pissed that Trader Bob is gone and can't get over it and B: we need scapegoats.

Trader Bob managed to rebuild and not miss the playoffs in a totally different scenario. If Paul Allen was willing to take on all kinds of sallaries, I bet you dimes to donuts that Jalen Rose AND Vince Carter would be playing in Portland, and we'd be a **** load better.

Whitsitt wore out his welcome. Larry Brown does that everywhere he goes. Would the Clippers re-hire Larry Brown? In a second. Should the Blazers re-hire Whitsitt? If he's healthy, he's the best candidate out there.
the coach doesn't do as much damage as a GM can do. There's a reason the organization (almost to a man) celebrated Bob Whitsitt leaving the team.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Hap said:
hold on, so we have to judge someone on the players they've acquired? I guess maybe that means we should judge Nash on longer than just 2 years.
Fair enough. And the jury's out on this year's draft, Telfair especially. Of course, we CAN judge him on players he acquired in his PREVIOUS GM jobs.

btw, altho he was an assistant GM at the time (hey, if Wayne Cooper can get props for what Geoff Petrie does..) he was there when they traded for Moses Malone. And drafted Chuck Barkley.
Fine, except for the crucial point that Wayne Cooper DOESN'T get props for what Geoff Petrie does. Who even knows who most assistant GMs are?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Hap said:
he wasn't here to "just" cut payroll. It was to make the payroll reasonable, and not continue to sign guys that were questionable in character, or refusing to talk to the media.
There was I thinking it was to be a GM. And since when were Zach and Darius paragons of virtue and makers-of-the-all-interview team?

People are down on the signings for the 2 reasons. A: because they're still pissed that Trader Bob is gone and can't get over it and B: we need scapegoats.
That's just Bull****, and unworthy of you. The VAST majority of people were glad to see Whitsitt leave. The majority of people are now dissatisfied with Nash. Some disconnect there.

Why do we need scapegoats? Because the team sucks. When Whitsitt was here he was a scapegoat because the players were rude. I know which one most of us care more about.

Trader Bob managed to rebuild and not miss the playoffs in a totally different scenario. If Paul Allen was willing to take on all kinds of sallaries, I bet you dimes to donuts that Jalen Rose AND Vince Carter would be playing in Portland, and we'd be a **** load better.
We have no evidence that Paul Allen ISN'T prepared to take on more salaries, IF he thinks it'll improve the team. Why else would Zach have been signed?
Besides, NJ isn't exactly killing with Carter is it? And Toronto is, if anything, better. I think that's one case where Nash was right to be cautious.

the coach doesn't do as much damage as a GM can do. There's a reason the organization (almost to a man) celebrated Bob Whitsitt leaving the team.
Well good for them. While they were celebrating, it might have been nice not to let the team go all to hell.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
meru said:
There was I thinking it was to be a GM. And since when were Zach and Darius paragons of virtue and makers-of-the-all-interview team?
I wasn't saying I agree'd with it. I was just saying one of the things he was hired for.

That's just Bull****, and unworthy of you. The VAST majority of people were glad to see Whitsitt leave. The majority of people are now dissatisfied with Nash. Some disconnect there.
the majority of fans are short term thinkers to. With some players, their hatred of them changes on a game by game basis.

It's the same thinking that lead people to ***** about how Paul Allen and Whitsitt weren't "local"..despite the fact that Larry Weinberg wasn't a local owner.

Why do we need scapegoats? Because the team sucks. When Whitsitt was here he was a scapegoat because the players were rude. I know which one most of us care more about.
we need scapegoats because they're easier targets. Some players are self appointed (Damon has stuck his foot in his mouth far more than Rasheed did, per-say). Some make no sense. Some are such powerful scape goats, that fans (and non fans) still use them as scapegoats *after* they've left.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts