Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the Rockets trade Francis for a pure PG and some other players? Most likely they will not get one player of his caliber to fill the PG position, but they might be able to get a PG in the mold of Jeff Mcinnis and maybe get some more frontcourt help.

I think it would be a good move to get rid of him if they get the right personnel. That is the key, they need to get the right people, because Francis brings a lot to the table.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Yes they should. Yao is already the player who makes a bigger impact, and Van Gundy is building around him.

Either trade Francis, or trade Mobley for a pure guard and move Francis to the 2 spot.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
No stop hatin on Stevie, he may not be your orthodox PG but he is a star player and will be a very legit 2nd scoring option for the Rockets. His penetration skills will be vital with Yao and his athletic play sells tickets.

Or better yet, who would the Rockets replace him with? Francis alone doesn't have as much trade value as most people think he does. The Rockets aren't necessarily looking for cap room or future picks, they want star for star and Francis won't fetch the value he gives the Rockets. And remember, Yao won't be able to carry the load every night.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Franchise should be traded. He eats-up too much clock and burns too many possessions. Franchise will never become the type of floor-general the Rockets need to help Yao develop into the MVP.

JVG and Yao need a pass-first PG, and a better power forward to draw some of the post defence away from Yao.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Originally posted by <b>speedythief</b>!
Franchise should be traded. He eats-up too much clock and burns too many possessions. Franchise will never become the type of floor-general the Rockets need to help Yao develop into the MVP.

JVG and Yao need a pass-first PG, and a better power forward to draw some of the post defence away from Yao.
This coming from the same guy who thinks the Rockets aren't going to make the playoffs this year. The Rockets are a modern team, and the Spurs struggles are showing that having a team of role players revolve around 1 big man isn't always going to get the job done. Francis and Mobley are an explosive backcourt duo, and they may take away from Yao being MVP but they sure as hell will help the Rockets win. We do need a big, strong and pure PG to allow Francis play the 2 spot on offense but as long as MJ is working his magic I don't think a trade is necessary. There has been discussion of picking up Brent Barry during the offseason on the Rockets board but with Weatherspoon and Piatkowski (out of rotation) taking up around $8 million a year, he will have to settle with a meagre portion of the MLE.

You obviously haven't watched many Rocket games, Mo Taylor is as good a big-man shooter as you will find. As long as he keeps hitting those shots from the top of the key the post defense is kept modest and can't creep up on Yao easily.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Originally posted by <b>speedythief</b>!

good points, but it is hard to find a player with equal value.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,473 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Franchise</b>!
No stop hatin on Stevie, he may not be your orthodox PG but he is a star player and will be a very legit 2nd scoring option for the Rockets. His penetration skills will be vital with Yao and his athletic play sells tickets.

Or better yet, who would the Rockets replace him with?
How about Mobley? Francis is an undersized shooting guard. I'm not convinced that Mobley, given the ball as much as Francis, couldn't post similar numbers. Their numbers are already in the same realm and Mobley shoots a better percentage. Plus Mobley is slightly taller.

Francis has more trade value than Mobley. Mobley may even be a bit undervalued. Dealing Francis for a better "pure" point guard (or some good front court player) and giving Mobley license to be Francis might indeed be a more efficient use of resources.

Right now, Mobley and Francis duplicate a lot of their games and neither is a great distributor.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
They aren't really playoff locks. It's a tough conference.

Well, they got him so they probably have got to stick with him. He's not Stockton, and he never was and I'm against Francis. In some ways he compliments well offensively with Yao. I guess. Just (continue to) tell him to give it up more and hope for the best?

Yao can't carry it every night, but he was the "special" #1 overall pick. He's to be depended upon, not light doses of him and two guards equally (especially not .400 FGP ones).

Just draft a real PG. Chris Duhon would be a nice fit. Maybe Blake Stepp.

I mean Mark Jackson, who's 80, is on the bench for a passer, so you might as well draft one. Maybe young, good, real PG with Yao will be the best.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I agree with trading Mobely instead of Francis. You trade Mobley for a big point guard, Eric Snow type guy(thing is, how many guys like Eric Snow are there? Eric Snow is criminally underrated.) and let Francis play shooting guard.

His best asset is as a scorer who can pass. Not as a passer who can score. And I think he'd be an asset as a Shooting guard playing with Yao.

Who the Rockets need is Brent Barry.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
Who the Rockets need is Brent Barry.
:yes:

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
This coming from the same guy who thinks the Rockets aren't going to make the playoffs this year.
I didn't say that. I said that Steve Francis would make it to the playoffs within two years. I didn't guarantee that the Rockets would make it this year, but I certainly didn't say they wouldn't.

And even if I did, that would show I can't evaluate the Western playoff chances, not that I don't know anything about Steve Franchise.

The Rockets are a modern team, and the Spurs struggles are showing that having a team of role players revolve around 1 big man isn't always going to get the job done. Francis and Mobley are an explosive backcourt duo, and they may take away from Yao being MVP but they sure as hell will help the Rockets win. We do need a big, strong and pure PG to allow Francis play the 2 spot on offense but as long as MJ is working his magic I don't think a trade is necessary. There has been discussion of picking up Brent Barry during the offseason on the Rockets board but with Weatherspoon and Piatkowski (out of rotation) taking up around $8 million a year, he will have to settle with a meagre portion of the MLE.
Ok, so I shouldn't say that Francis should be traded, but you'll admit that the team needs a pure PG. Seems like Francis isn't the kind of PG your team needs... which is exactly what I was saying in the first place!

And BB isn't a pure PG anyways, he's more of a combo guard, if not a pure SG, so why are you bringing him into this discussion?

You obviously haven't watched many Rocket games, Mo Taylor is as good a big-man shooter as you will find. As long as he keeps hitting those shots from the top of the key the post defense is kept modest and can't creep up on Yao easily.
Mo Taylor? Maybe. He has been doing an alright job so far. I still think you have plenty of room for improvement in the PF department.

I'm not saying that Franchise isn't a good player, I just think that the best way for your team to move towards a championship would be to get a pointman who will look to feed Ming first, then to create a shot for himself or someone else. His assists numbers have gone down since Yao joined the team.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Francis hasn't been forcing alot of shots this year, he knows this team is about Yao. I don't think Stevie is detrimental to Yao's success, he looks for Yao to get into position and feed him the ball but the Rockets can't isolate Yao on every play or get him the ball every time, and this is when Francis becomes very important because it gives the Rockets a stronger slasher who can get to the free throw line.

Why do I bring up Brent Barry? Because he's a bigger playmaker, who can play PG on offense with Francis at the 2 spot and then guard opposing SG's on defense, allowing both players to log decent minutes at both positions.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Francis hasn't been forcing alot of shots this year, he knows this team is about Yao. I don't think Stevie is detrimental to Yao's success, he looks for Yao to get into position and feed him the ball but the Rockets can't isolate Yao on every play or get him the ball every time, and this is when Francis becomes very important because it gives the Rockets a stronger slasher who can get to the free throw line.

Why do I bring up Brent Barry? Because he's a bigger playmaker, who can play PG on offense with Francis at the 2 spot and then guard opposing SG's on defense, allowing both players to log decent minutes at both positions.
That's fair.

But honestly, honestly--would Francis settle for 5 points a game all season long if it meant Yao would average 35/10/5/3?

I don't think that is the kind of player Francis is. The Rockets could really use a selfless PG. But now it feels like I'm telling you your own business so I'll just zip it ;) .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.