Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In retrospect, I was looking up Gooden's name after reading about him on the board. The Magic gave him up with Anderson Varejao for Battie and 2 2nd picks.

I know the Nets offered Kittles and A. Williams for SAR. So Thorn and Ratner were looking for some PF this offseason.

I think a deal involving our sold pick and the TE from KMarts deal and a pick woul d have gotten it done. He's averaging close to a double-double and makes a reasonable 3 million this year and 3+ next year on his rookie contract.

-Petey

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
Looks like a lot of teams are regretting not having pursued Gooden when they had the chance....if he gets more consistent, he'll be even better. And he's still on his rookie contract? Better and better.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
DaUnbreakableKinG said:
Gooden would have been very good on this team. He would be good on any team actually.

I would love to have him in my team. :yes:
Any team that had 35 minutes available at the PF spot. Memphis had Gasol, then Orlando inexplicably got Howard, so Gooden got a rough start, but he's settling in now and will eventually the #2 guy behind James, not bad.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Krstic All Star said:
Looks like a lot of teams are regretting not having pursued Gooden when they had the chance....if he gets more consistent, he'll be even better. And he's still on his rookie contract? Better and better.
I think the biggest regret, is Orlando for not getting more. They got the 3rd best player in that trade. Gooden, Varejao and Battie, how ugly was that. They even sent Steve Hunter in the deal, who Cleveland cut, don't know why. But he would have been nice, next to Kidd, another Nor California native. Would a coulda shoulda, I think this went down soon after KMart, pretty sure Thorn still had his hands tied. I think if Thorn was free, he would have gotten Gooden.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kidd Karma said:
I think the biggest regret, is Orlando for not getting more. They got the 3rd best player in that trade. Gooden, Varejao and Battie, how ugly was that. They even sent Steve Hunter in the deal, who Cleveland cut, don't know why. But he would have been nice, next to Kidd, another Nor California native. Would a coulda shoulda, I think this went down soon after KMart, pretty sure Thorn still had his hands tied. I think if Thorn was free, he would have gotten Gooden.
We're all fans, can you blame me for dreaming?

:D

-Petey

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
I'm more bummed about not using our pick on Andersen Varejo than about not pursuing Gooden. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that I've read that Gooden has attitude and defense problems. A pretty talented guy, no doubt and a very good rebounder, but he seems a little slight to man big minutes for a good team at the 4, and he doesn't have the overwhelming athleticism to make up for it.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SeaNet said:
I'm more bummed about not using our pick on Andersen Varejo than about not pursuing Gooden. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that I've read that Gooden has attitude and defense problems. A pretty talented guy, no doubt and a very good rebounder, but he seems a little slight to man big minutes for a good team at the 4, and he doesn't have the overwhelming athleticism to make up for it.
If he is good enough for Lebron James, he's good enough for me SeaNet... :D

-Petey

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Yea, he would have fit in here perfectly, he can step out hit the 15 footer, or play with his back to the basket, he has good handles(mainly because he grew about 7 inches after his sophomore season) Attitude is mainly from the entourage he has, but being from the Bay, a guy like Kidd will keep them in check. I think again with the proper prodding, he is a good defender. Defense is an attitude and if it ain't right, you won't show it on the defensive side.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Petey said:
If he is good enough for Lebron James, he's good enough for me SeaNet... :D

-Petey
Lebron just doesn't have my high standards. :biggrin:

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SeaNet said:
Lebron just doesn't have my high standards. :biggrin:
Oh SeaNet, you're such good buddy, wanting only the best for me!

:clap:

-Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gooden with 12 rebounds in 24 minutes, quarter left vs. the 6ers, he is really a pretty solid big.

-Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PSUmtj112 said:
Gooden would fit in perfect with this team.

Ton of ability, no brains.
That's good, would work better as Kidd could run the whole program.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Gooden is definitely a guy that needs to have a good PG or passer for him to be successful. When he was with the Magic, he was an enigma...he'd try to force his shot and sometimes did too much with the ball, as well as look awkward doing so. With Cleveland, he's been much consistent but there's still room for him to become better. Gooden woulda been a glass eater and he would have been easily getting a double double for us IMO. He's athletic and does have some skills. He needs defensive work but he's better than the guy he replaced...BOOZER...

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
42 minutes, 10-16 from the field, 10 rebounds, 24 points vs. the Raptors.

-Petey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts