Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Should Kobe be MVP this season?

• Yes, with 46 wins a season, M Malone won it.

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • No, Lakers can't make the playoffs if Rockets and Jazz are healthy.

Votes: 51 61.4%
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

· We Warriors
15,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scottie Pippen and Mark Jackson say yes.

· We Warriors
15,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Scottie Pippen and Mark Jackson say yes.

With 46 wins, Moses Malone won the MVP.

· Registered
8,661 Posts
He doesn't have my vote and he won't win because his team's record is very average. Nash, LeBron, Dirk and Wade are ALL ahead of him. The average number of team wins for MVP over the last 20 years is 60. The voting pattern of decades all of a sudden isn't going to change.

· Registered
7,189 Posts
SPMJ said:
He doesn't have my vote and he won't win because his team's record is very average. Nash, LeBron, Dirk and Wade are ALL ahead of him. The average number of team wins for MVP over the last 20 years is 60. The voting pattern of decades all of a sudden isn't going to change.
Exactly, same reason why Gilbert Arenas can't be seriously considered.

· Banned
2,186 Posts
SPMJ said:
When would he EVER have your vote? You refuse to give him props, because you have a deep rooted hatred for a man you never met.

· Premium Member
21,860 Posts
SPMJ said:
That's not quite fair, considering each of them have a better supporting cast than Kobe.

Kobe SHOULD win it...but sadly, most people think like the poster above and won't give it to him for that sad reason.

I mean, it's called "most valuable player" award...not the "most vaulable player that brought his team to the best record" award. BTW, the Cavs record isn't all that special this season either.

Reactions: The MAMBA

· Registered
5,028 Posts
Benjie said:
Yes.

Kobe's team shouldn't be in the playoffs and they are and what he's doing is the definition of taking his team on his back and saying lets go. He won't win though. Nash will.
Why shouldn't the Lakers be in the playoffs? I hate when people say this. A team with the best player in the league and Lamar Odom and coached by Phil Jackson shouldn't be in the playoffs? This argument is lame and wrong.

· Banned
2,186 Posts
Lamar Odom is an overrated role player. Nothing more. Not to mention, that if you actually follow the Lakers, you would know he has had the most difficult of time trying to understand and fit into the triangle offense.

· Registered
6,754 Posts
compsciguy78 said:
Why shouldn't the Lakers be in the playoffs? I hate when people say this. A team with the best player in the league and Lamar Odom and coached by Phil Jackson shouldn't be in the playoffs? This argument is lame and wrong.
Well... they missed the playoffs with a more talented team (though mainly due to injuries as people like to ignore) last year so its easy to say that.

· Premium Member
21,860 Posts
compsciguy78 said:
If you honestly think Lamar Odom is a good player, then you haven't ever watched him play this season.

· Registered
8,661 Posts
Jameh said:
That's not quite fair, considering each of them have a better supporting cast than Kobe.

Kobe SHOULD win it...but sadly, most people think like the poster above and won't give it to him for that sad reason.
Everybody thinks their boy should win it. Dallas fans will tell you Dirk. Cavs fans can't believe LeBron ain't the #1 candidate. Same goes for Miami and Phoenix. So really, this means nothing.

I mean, it's called "most valuable player" award...not the "most vaulable player that brought his team to the best record" award.
And how do you come to the conclusion that Kobe's more valuable to his team then say Wade or LeBron? +/- Stats or best numbers? They definitely aren't in favor of him compared to those 2. Best player in the league? Everybody has their own boy as the best. I pick LeBron. You say Kobe and there are a bunch who'll say Wade. Nothing is clear-cut ala MJ or Shaq in their prime.

BTW, the Cavs record isn't all that special this season either.
I'm willing to bet majority wouldn't even have predicted the Cavs to make the postseason in the MUCH improved EC had they not signed Larry Hughes. But they're now on pace to win 50 with their BIG FA signing playing less than 20 games - thanks to LeBron James. If that doesn't impress you, obviously nothing will.

· Registered
6,754 Posts
Jameh said:
If you honestly think Lamar Odom is a good player, then you haven't ever watched him play this season.
Lamar doesn't suck, hes been playing his best basketball for the past month. Hes a good player, maybe not the ideal fit for the team, but ever since PJ has been sticking him in the post, he's been quite productive.

· Registered
6,754 Posts
SPMJ said:
I'm willing to bet majority wouldn't even have predicted the Cavs to make the postseason in the MUCH improved EC had they not signed Larry Hughes. But they're now on pace to win 50 with their BIG FA signing playing less than 20 games - thanks to LeBron James. If that doesn't impress you, obviously nothing will.
It hasn't exaclty been a dogfight to make the playoffs in the east this season. Outside of the Cavs, Heat, Pistons and Nets, the rest of the conference is quite mediocre.

· Registered
8,661 Posts
Drewbs said:
It hasn't exaclty been a dogfight to make the playoffs in the east this season.
Same goes the WC. Barring a miraculous collapse the bottom seeds are all comfortably in w/ little to no scare from the Jazz, Hornets, Rockets etc. After the 8th seed every team in the WC has a below .500 record.

Outside of the Cavs, Heat, Pistons and Nets, the rest of the conference is quite mediocre.
I could say the same abt the WC. SA, Dallas, Phoenix and LAC are elite. But Nuggets, LAL, Sacramento and Memphis are all hit and miss.

The Cavs btw have a very solid record against the WC. So it's not like they've accumulated this record by beating up on EC teams.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.