Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

lemieux olympian?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has the worst +/- in the league and just watching him you can see he isn't half the player he used to be. He's a liability to the team, and I don't know if he should make it just because of what he has done in the past.

I know he is doing okay statistically but he looks pretty bad if you watch him play. He cruises around most of the time, and really hurts the Penguins defensively.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
KidCanada said:
He has the worst +/- in the league and just watching him you can see he isn't half the player he used to be. He's a liability to the team, and I don't know if he should make it just because of what he has done in the past.

I know he is doing okay statistically but he looks pretty bad if you watch him play. He cruises around most of the time, and really hurts the Penguins defensively.

What do you guys think?
I doubt the +/- is all his fault since his team has been down right horrible for most of the season.

I think Mario would be a good leader but I doubt he wants to push his body any farther then the normal NHL season this year.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kamego said:
I doubt the +/- is all his fault since his team has been down right horrible for most of the season.

I think Mario would be a good leader but I doubt he wants to push his body any farther then the normal NHL season this year.
True, but watch him play, he looks slow and stiff IMO. Somewhat of a defensive liability I would say.

I think the reason he is still playing is basically to win a gold in Turin. That is why I'm hesitant to say he shouldn't be on the olympic team, because he is Mario Lemieux..he knows how to get the puck in the net. But I know for a fact there are atleast 30 Canadians who are better then him right now. I guess it depends how much you value the leadership and inspiration that he will bring. In the end my heart is torn. I want Mario to be on the team, but I know there are more deserving guys. Tough call!

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
KidCanada said:
True, but watch him play, he looks slow and stiff IMO. Somewhat of a defensive liability I would say.

I think the reason he is still playing is basically to win a gold in Turin. That is why I'm hesitant to say he shouldn't be on the olympic team, because he is Mario Lemieux..he knows how to get the puck in the net. But I know for a fact there are atleast 30 Canadians who are better then him right now. I guess it depends how much you value the leadership and inspiration that he will bring. In the end my heart is torn. I want Mario to be on the team, but I know there are more deserving guys. Tough call!
Mario is still playing because he is trying to save the team he owns. They have always been very close to not being able to pay there players.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kamego said:
Mario is still playing because he is trying to save the team he owns. They have always been very close to not being able to pay there players.
Can you not make blatent statements when you don't even know what you're talking about. Of course playing helps the Penguins but his motivation to keep playing is largely based on winning the gold in Turin. Even he has said that himself.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
KidCanada said:
Can you not make blatent statements when you don't even know what you're talking about. Of course playing helps the Penguins but his motivation to keep playing is largely based on winning the gold in Turin. Even he has said that himself.
KidCanada said:
I think the reason he is still playing is basically to win a gold in Turin.
Blank statement or direct response to what you just said.... His motivation is if he doesn't play they don't make enough money to pay everybody because a lot of fans in Pittsburgh don't go when he isn't in the lineup. The new CBA didn't just save his team from worries, it helped but it didn't fix the fact they have zero income from the local tv deal and have trouble selling tickets. He isn't going to tell the world that he is still playing to save the team, that would just look bad.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
-You said Lemieux doesn't care about the olympics and would skip it to focus on the NHL (WRONG)
-I said Lemieux wouldn't do that because a factor in him continuing to play is to win gold in Turn(CORRECT)
-You said noo, the only reason he is playing to is to save the Penguins.( WRONG, of course he wants to help his franchise but that isn't the only reason)

EDIT: You can not say these types of things in public. If you have a problem, PM.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
KidCanada said:
-You said Lemieux doesn't care about the olympics and would skip it to focus on the NHL (WRONG)
Kamego said:
My original comment. Where does it say he doesn't care about the Olympics? Where does it say anything about focusing on the NHL. It takes about the body of a guy who has been in the NHL for what 20 years? Beat cancer and many hip problems? Maybe you should look at the words I use.

KidCanada said:
-I said Lemieux wouldn't do that because a factor in him continuing to play is to win gold in Turn(CORRECT)
Mario wants to win at everything he does but how do you or I know his body can goto the Olympics and play at high level? He isn't going to put the Olympics in front of the NHL because no NHL owner would. That isn't to say he won't play but wouldn't if it would interfer with his ability to play in the NHL. read: nagging injuries or dead legs

KidCanada said:
-You said noo, the only reason he is playing to is to save the Penguins.( WRONG, of course he wants to help his franchise but that isn't the only reason)
Once again you misinterupt the words I use. Did I ever once use the word only? Nope because that is a loaded word that can easily be taken the wrong way. Of course he wants a gold medal, most every player does. Not to many guys don't want to support there country the best they can. What I have said is, Mario will put the Penguins in front of Team Canada as any owner and player should.

KidCanada said:
EDIT: You can not say these types of things in public. If you have a problem, PM.
If you want to disrespect me in public, this is hardly the place to do it. It's childish to call someone out for the reasons you are using. You have been warned many times by many mods and CMs, use your PMs if you have a problem.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kidcanada said:

kamego said:

When you respond to my post that way it sounds to ME like your saying that I am wrong, and the only/real reason is because he is trying to save the team.

If you wanted to make it clear perhaps you should say "He also is still playing because he is trying to save the team he owns. They have always been very close to not being able to pay there players"

I promise you, if you did that with all are little discussions we have I wouldn't have any problem at all. But the way you word is very confusing and frustrating because you make it sound like the other person is wrong. I hope you understand what I'm gettin at....

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kamego said:
My original comment. Where does it say he doesn't care about the Olympics? Where does it say anything about focusing on the NHL. It takes about the body of a guy who has been in the NHL for what 20 years? Beat cancer and many hip problems? Maybe you should look at the words I use.
Nowhere, nor was I responding to that post.

kamego said:
Mario wants to win at everything he does but how do you or I know his body can goto the Olympics and play at high level? He isn't going to put the Olympics in front of the NHL because no NHL owner would. That isn't to say he won't play but wouldn't if it would interfer with his ability to play in the NHL. read: nagging injuries or dead legs
I agree.

kamego said:
Once again you misinterupt the words I use. Did I ever once use the word only? Nope because that is a loaded word that can easily be taken the wrong way. Of course he wants a gold medal, most every player does. Not to many guys don't want to support there country the best they can. What I have said is, Mario will put the Penguins in front of Team Canada as any owner and player should.
I wasn't angry at that post....and I agree with that you said.

kamego said:
If you want to disrespect me in public, this is hardly the place to do it. It's childish to call someone out for the reasons you are using. You have been warned many times by many mods and CMs, use your PMs if you have a problem.
Childish? There wasn't anything in that post that was "childish". I just said I get frustrated by the way you word things and how you argue. If disagreeing with you is disrespectful and childish then so be it.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
KidCanada said:
When you respond to my post that way it sounds to ME like your saying that I am wrong, and the only/real reason is because he is trying to save the team.

If you wanted to make it clear perhaps you should say "He also is still playing because he is trying to save the team he owns. They have always been very close to not being able to pay there players"

I promise you, if you did that with all are little discussions we have I wouldn't have any problem at all. But the way you word is very confusing and frustrating because you make it sound like the other person is wrong. I hope you understand what I'm gettin at....
If you look at a majority of my post history, you could tell that I when I add a comment it isn't to knock anyone else. My intentions are never to provoke any types of trouble, rather I am just trying to add aspects of the puzzle that haven't been said yet, which in this case was what I thought Mario's true goals for this season where. I am usually blunt and honest when I respond to posters so don't think what I am saying is ment to be any more then it says. If I thought someone was wrong, my first line would be, "hey so and so is wrong because blah blah blah facts." Hopefully that helps clear everything up.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know you don't mean it but sometimes you got to acknowledge the other side so I know you aren't just discrediting my post as incorrect. Atleast that's how I feel.

I got to hit the hay.....perhaps we don't always agree but it's good discussion for the most part.

Pc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts