Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Re: Great article Sixers fans should read and grasp

I personally think that article was complete crap. It did not state one reason why he should stay as the head coach other then he shows up early to watch film. His strongest arguement was that coaches don't have to be personable to be good coaches (but that doesn't mean Obie's a good coach), and even criticized Byron Scott for having a terrible record with his team (his starting line-up has consisted of Dan Dickau, JR Smith a rookie high schooler, Lee Nailon, PJ Brown and several other mediocre-less than mediocre players at the power forward spot {unless Chris Anderson started which I don't think he has much}). Also Jim O'Brien didn't single handily turn Antoine Walker into an All-Star. He also says the fact that the people in Philly not liking him is not ture, but does not name any names of who. He talks about Obie not being arrogant, but doesn't give examples or any real proof for that matter of him not being arrogant. He also uses the fact that the team struggled last year, well no ****, AI played in a career low amount of games. He then continues by calling the players "coach-killers" and says Obie doesn't need players input unless its input on "how to lose 49 different ways" (thats how many games Philly lost last year). Not once throughout the entire article does he talk about Obie's coaching itself. The closest he gets to it is talking about leading the Celtics to the playoffs and ECF, and that one season where they did make the ECF was a fluke in my opinion. This guy must be a delusional Jim O'Brien fan, because he talks to highly of Jim, but proves absolutely nothing. Once again, this article was complete crap.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You obviously have a problem with Jim O'Brien that is just unreasonable.

Dick Harters defense is very hard to learn and it is even harder for someone like Chris Webber to learn because he refuses to even try and learn it. His comments have been noted several times in many articles. He doesn't agree with it and he basically said he won't do it.

Things don't just change over night. Jim O'Brien has to deal with AI's domination of the ball and he has to find a mix of players to agree to fit into that system.

Jim is the scapegoat for your team and that is not fair. Very much like he was the scapegoat for the Celtics after they traded away Antoine Walker the first time. Unless Chris grow's up and listens to his coach the Sixers won't be successful.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts

After reading the article, I wonder what the relevance of this guy mentioning O'Brien's success in Boston has to do with his failure in Philadelphia. He mentions how the Sixers did worse under Chris Ford than it did with Randy Ayers last season, but he fails to mention that for the bulk of Ford's tenure the team was sans Allen Iverson and Glenn Robinson, who were the team's best two scorers.

The problem in Philadelphia isn't Chris Webber not listening to Jim O'Brien, there was a problem before Webber even came to town. Things like players being alienated by being yanked out of the lineup and then being thrown back in not knowing what minutes they were getting on any given night.

O'Brien didn't have to deal with AI's domination of the ball, he encouraged it.

Jim O'Brien isn't a scapegoat at all here, he deserves a fair bit of blame in this situation, and no article from a guy who tries to prove that O'Brien's players like him by mentioning Antoine Walker. Might just be me, but last time I checked Walker isn't a Sixer, instead of having people ask them maybe he should have them ask Chris Webber, Samuel Dalembert, and Willie Green.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Tas said:
You obviously have a problem with Jim O'Brien that is just unreasonable.

Dick Harters defense is very hard to learn and it is even harder for someone like Chris Webber to learn because he refuses to even try and learn it. His comments have been noted several times in many articles. He doesn't agree with it and he basically said he won't do it.

Things don't just change over night. Jim O'Brien has to deal with AI's domination of the ball and he has to find a mix of players to agree to fit into that system.

Jim is the scapegoat for your team and that is not fair. Very much like he was the scapegoat for the Celtics after they traded away Antoine Walker the first time. Unless Chris grow's up and listens to his coach the Sixers won't be successful.
PhillyPhanatic's post pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

Reactions: Coatesvillain

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
Nice to know you, Flip Saunders. Adios, Mo Cheeks. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Paul Silas.

It happens every year -- coaches get the boot because their team is underachieving, because his squad hasn't shown the proper growth, or because the owner or general manager cannot coexist with the coach. Last year there were 17 coaching changes; this season there have been nine, most recently the firing of Silas, whose only crime was leading one of the youngest teams in the league (average age 23.4) to the fifth-best record in the Eastern Conference and an almost certain playoff berth.

But that's not my main problem. My concern lies with potential victim No. 10, Philadelphia 76ers coach Jim O'Brien, who was vilified last week by a Philadelphia Inquirer columnist for reasons not detectable.

Wait, I think I found one. Jim O'Brien isn't personable.

Forget the national championship he won while associate head coach at Kentucky. Forget the fact that when he took over in Boston for Rick Pitino in 2001, the Celtics were 12-22 and facing a schedule that had them on the west coast for virtually all of February. Under O'Brien, Boston finished the season a respectable 24-24. Forget the back-to-back playoff appearances. Forget the appearance in the Eastern Conference finals, the first time for Boston since 1988. Forget all that. Jim O'Brien isn't a good quote, therefore he should be banished 66 games into his first season in Philadelphia.

Why don't the Sixers bring in Maurice Cheeks? He's a personable guy, even though he hasn't won a playoff series. He'll sit down with you before the game and engage in friendly banter. Jim O'Brien won't do that. He's too busy watching film. Or maybe Philadelphia could lure Byron Scott from New Orleans. He's always good for a pithy quote or two. I'm sure he would listen. Not much else to do when your team is 34½ games out of first place.

Now, debunking some of the questions brought up in that Inquirer story. O'Brien's players don't like him? Maybe you should ask Antoine Walker, who under O'Brien developed from an immature street baller into a legitimate All-Star. Or maybe you should check with Mark Blount. When Blount arrived in Boston in 2000 he was nothing more than, a journeyman whose claim to fame was being waived by the Clippers the season before. By the time O'Brien left Boston, Blount had become a bona fide NBA center, worthy of a six-year, $38 million contract.

O'Brien's staff doesn't like him? Maybe you should ask Frank Vogel, who was promoted from video coordinator to assistant coach by O'Brien before the 2001 season and has flourished since. Or maybe you should ask the locker room staff or the ball boys in Boston, people whom O'Brien bought Christmas gifts from his own pocket every year. Can't find anyone "from the marketing department to the locker room and laundry room" in Philadelphia who will speak positively about O'Brien? A nice turn of phrase, but completely untrue.

O'Brien is arrogant? There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance and O'Brien has never crossed it. Is it arrogant to expect his team to pay attention during film sessions? Is it his arrogance that brings him to the arena four to five hours before the start of every game, so he can go over film? Is it arrogant to expect his players to bring the same energy to practice that they do to the games? Funny, I don't hear Allen Iverson complaining.
LINK

As the one person who doesn't hate O'Brien(and wish he would die, etc.;)) on these boards, I feel compelled to post this. Don't worry, this isn't an overreaction to the Detroit game.

Also, I think this a completely wrong arguement, but I like the vibe.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

PhillyPhanatic said:
O'Brien didn't have to deal with AI's domination of the ball, he encouraged it.
Thanks for pointing out the glaring factual error in his post.

And granted, Cwebb hasn't or isn't willing to learn O'Brien's complicated defense, Obie has to face the fact that Cwebb is here and MUST find a way to incorporate him into the mix. The thing I most dislike about Obie is his unwillingness to bend or adjust his schemes to fit his personel. To be quite frank, he's a stubborn-azz coach and if he keeps it up will find himself in the unemployment line.

The one encouraging thing for O'brien is that Iverson doesn't seem to have a problem with him, which is why he will most likely finish the season.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I would be willing to let him finish the season out and we finish on a good note with nice wins and less complaints and make the playoffs. If he does that then I think we can bring him back for next season. It would nice if we made it past the first round too, if that happens then it's pretty much guaranteed he's staying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts