Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the Orlando Magic sign Shawn Kemp, I don't know how much money he wants but I say yeah, sign him! He has good size at 6-10 280 even though that is way over weight for him. He can score down low pretty good, he has a nice 15 foot jump shot, and he can defend when he wants to. I think they should get him, because you all know that Orlando will need a low post scorer in the season and in the playoffs

Lineup:
PG) Armstrong, Vaughn, Sasser
SG) McGrady, Sasser
SF) Hill, Miller, Garrity
PF) Humphrey, Oyedeji, Kemp, Garrity
C) Hunter, Kemp, DeClerq

And he provides good flexability being able to play the 4 and 5!

I think Shawn Kemp is the guy we were looking for, unless if he wants a ton of money which I dought.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
He would be a gamble, but I think a good one. Depends on how much money he wants. At his size, if he keeps things on track, he could be a top 5-8 center in the East. If he ever really got into decent shape, he could be a piece that could take Orlando to the Finals.

If he comes cheap, i'd say picking him up is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think they would be better off with a dirty work, low ego rebounder like a Lynch or Popeye Jones , Bo Outlaw, etc. The guy has to set mean picks, keep his man away from the boards so the athletes can rebound and run, and get defensive rebounds. Guard the other teams inside presence, and not much more. Paul Silas in his prime would have been perfect.

This raw kid Hunter has so much to learn, but he could really be a player in the future. He's worth as much playing time as they can spare without losing the game.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
True.

I do think that Kemp could be a good help. The guy is still very talented. And even in his current shape, he's probably better than any of Orlando's big men as of today.

Orlando doesnt like people with anything shady in their past, so i doubt they will make a run at him..

but I think he would be a good addition, at the right price.

·
Dwight Howard for MVP
1,163 Posts
I don't like that the Magic don't go for players who have had problems off the court. All we care about is how they do on the court. Kemp would be GREAT considering what we have now. I mean, if Shaq was a free-agent and wanted to come to Orlando but did drugs, the Magic wouldn't get him? As long as they are good on the court, let the other stuff go.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shawn Kemp is the best option right now I think, we REALLY need low post presence on or team, and Kemp would be that, he could play two spots the 4 and 5. He can shoot open jumpers which he will get a chance to with the doubling of Hill and McGrady, and he can defend big guys, just look what he did against Shaq, I think he held his own!

I don't know where everyone is getting the Magic don't get guys with problems. Ever one has problems and Kemp has shown that he wants to get past his drug problems. I think it is more about character than it is about him doing drugs, he is not a great vet and is not a leader. But I think we are running out of options, and this could turn him around that chance to get a title! I think he would change if he came!

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Word is Kemp is not concerned about money at all and just wants PT, and that he could be signed for the veteran minimum.

If Orlando was considered Charles "moves as fast as a tree" Oak ley then they'd be morons not to pounce on Kemp RIGHT NOW!

He should be signed tomorrow.

Out of shape, he'd still be the best big man down low Orlando would have. If he ever got back into shape, he could still be maybe a top 10 pf/c in the league.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Kemp wouldn't be a bad move at all and I think the guy is old enough to change plus I feel he really does want to just play basketball and get some self pride back and do something good in the NBA before his carreer ends, he had so much more potential it's such a sad story. But maybe he can atleast make a nice end to his long chapter eh? :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts