Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing is certain in mind: Steph was quietly on the market long before Isaiah Thomas came along and scooped him up. The Suns didn't "suddenly" decide to trade him because of Isaiah. And if he was on the market, in the way that the NBA works, all the other GM's knew about it.

So going back to the theory that finding players to to put around a superstar are easy, but finding superstars isn't: Doesn't it logically follow that the Bulls -- who say they want to win -- should have made a play for Steph?

Chicago trades:
PF Marcus Fizer
PF Jay Williams
C Eddy Curry or C/F Tyson
Chandler
SG Jamal Crawford
Chicago receives:
PG Stephon Marbury
Just a sample of the contracts that they could have moved to get the deal done. We don't have ANY superstars now---real or imagined. We just have potential.

I guess I'm not making my usual strong argument for it---thats because I'm not sure---but I really wonder if it was in our best interests to let him pass us by.

A bird in the hand (Superstar steph) is worth two in the bush (potential Jamal and potential Curry or Chandler).

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
GOD NO!

I'm glad everyone around here is on the Steph bandwagon when they haven't really won against any quality competition. What happens when the honeymoon ends like it did in Minny, New Jersey and Phoenix?

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I concur with retrodreams. No. Steph hasn't done anything but put up numbers. Sounds like Crawford. Yet Jamal is much younger.

Will his situation change in NY? If it does, it will be short term and only because the east is so weak! But remember he was in the east before at NJ and that team did nothing.

Stay with Jamal, imo if it came down to a choice between the two

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!
I concur with retrodreams. No. Steph hasn't done anything but put up numbers. Sounds like Crawford. Yet Jamal is much younger.

Will his situation change in NY? If it does, it will be short term and only because the east is so weak! But remember he was in the east before at NJ and that team did nothing.

Stay with Jamal, imo if it came down to a choice between the two
Thats a lot of faith in Jamal.

I'll ask this question again at seasons end.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GB</b>!

Thats a lot of faith in Jamal.

I'll ask this question again at seasons end.
Not really. Steph put up numbers but never lead any team anywhere. Crawford is doing the same thing. Less salary, for now. All I meant was, we stay with Jamal if there ever was such an offer.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
They won't have traded Marbury for that package. How would they get rid of Penny then?

-Petey

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Originally posted by <b>FanOfAll8472</b>!
starbury wasn't on the market until colegano tanked the season. and that was right around the time when isiah inquired for starbury. don't see it working.
i agree

besides as much as i love starbury he would not have been right in chi.

he's best suited for a ensemble cast of stars and near stars like the team port had a few years ago ...or the suns of today

the bulls are clearly going for a star system in which the buggy will be hitched to 2 or 3 at the most

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I doubt Marbury was "available" when Isiah called. I think Thomas just made it happen. He made Phoenix an offer they could not refuse. Now Phoenix is within one decent trade (please do the mikedc trade) of clearing out the cap space for Kobe. in the process they get Milos Vujanic who just threw up a monster euroleague game last week and is indicating he will come to the nba next year. they get lampe. they get eisley. they get 2 numbers one. when it is all said and done, this was the trade that got them kobe, when that happens, will anyone even remember Marbury?

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
I doubt Marbury was "available" when Isiah called. I think Thomas just made it happen. He made Phoenix an offer they could not refuse. Now Phoenix is within one decent trade (please do the mikedc trade) of clearing out the cap space for Kobe. in the process they get Milos Vujanic who just threw up a monster euroleague game last week and is indicating he will come to the nba next year. they get lampe. they get eisley. they get 2 numbers one. when it is all said and done, this was the trade that got them kobe, when that happens, will anyone even remember Marbury?
I feel like I should start a list of exceedingly bold rlucas claims and predictions, just for fun. :)

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GB</b>!
You know, now that I think about it---it seems that the commenters in this thread don't think that Steph is a superstar.

Is that true?
I wasn't a responder until now, but that statement describes me. I am not a fan of Marbury. Wouldn't want him. Has nothing to do with Jamal.

I figure if you're riding a bad horse, don't switch to another bad horse just to make a change. Continue to maneuver until you eventually get a good horse.

I'm on record as believing Isaiah is an idiot. I feel that the move for Starbury is just another demonstration of his poor business practices.

Others think he's a genius.

Time will tell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts