Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

What should the Hawks do with Al Harrington?

• Trade him.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Keep him.

Votes: 6 54.5%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Antoine Walker was traded, Al Harrington became the clear number-one option on the Hawks, but in the last month he has only averaged 19 points and 6 rebounds, he's only scored 20+ points five times, and yesterday he had a terrible game scoring just 3 points. That's not good enough for a number-one option.

Harrington asked for a trade from Indiana because he wanted a bigger role, but it looks like he just isn't talented enough to be a team's primary scoring option. Also, he isn't a very good rebounder, so the Hawks might not want him to be their starter at power forward in the long term.

Should the Hawks trade Harrington, or should they keep him? They already have so few good players that they might not be able to afford to dump their best player and not get equal value for him.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I would hold onto him this off-season. At his current contract, he's a bargain and has been a very, very positive influence on Josh Smith.

Is he the long term future at PF? Nope, but that doesn't mean that you need to trade him ASAP, either. In 2006, we should have two high first rounders. I think we can look for a PF in that draft, or in the second round of the 2005 draft.

I just don't like the idea of trading him for the sake of trading. If you don't have another guy ready to take over, then that is a stupid trade. His trade value would probably not get us anything special in return, so I would just let his contract run up as a Hawk and then draft a future replacement next year.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Harrington shouldn't be the go-to-guy. But, he's only 25 and proven that he can at least be a productive 6th man on a winning team. So i'd hold onto him unless you get an offer that you can't pass on.

The main problem I see with Al is that he's really a tweener. Looking at his numbers from 82games, he's productive offensively from the PF position, but he's a below average rebounder and defender for a PF. He's better defensively at the SF position, but he lacks range on his jumpshot and his offense suffers.

On the bright side, the Hawks might be able to make up for some of Al's weaknesses next season. If you win the lottery, draft Bogut. Even as a rookie he would be a substantial upgrade on Obinna Ekezie and Peja Drobnjak, they are horrible. Harrington's rebounding would be less of a concern with a better rebounding center, and a pair of wing players who are very good at rebounding (Childress/Smith). An upgrade at the PG spot either though the draft or FA would also help Harrington, by getting him and the rest of the team easier looks.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Scinos said:
An upgrade at the PG spot either though the draft or FA would also help Harrington, by getting him and the rest of the team easier looks.
Interesting scenario.

Atlanta has been rumored to have a strong interest in Samuel Dalembert. If Atlanta wins the lottery, do they trade down a couple of spots hoping to get one of the PG's or Marvin Williams? Knowing they can sign Dalembert to be their new Center? Another possibility. (Utah has 2 1st rounders)

·
Registered
657 Posts
AH wanted to prove that he had what it take to be an offensive leader. Now if he cannot back it up in a middling team like the hawks , I guess he should realize that he is better suited for a less important role . Still , He is a good pro and would benefit alot from the coming of a PG . If Bogut , who is a refined passer , is drafted , it would help him out alot as well .

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I think he plays injured that's why he's not as productive as the begining of the season. He's a very good player so of course the Hawks should keep him.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
No reason to get rid of Al right now. Even if Dalembert and a high pick goto the Hawks, Al would be a great fit as a reserve in the future.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ballstorm said:
AH wanted to prove that he had what it take to be an offensive leader. Now if he cannot back it up in a middling team like the hawks , I guess he should realize that he is better suited for a less important role .
That's what I'm hoping, too. Harrington is a great sixth man, but I think he would be an okay second option too. The Hawks just need a guard who can create his own shot...Chris Paul, maybe? If they can get a top point guard and a center who can rebound, I don't see why Harrington couldn't even be the Hawks' long-term starter at power forward. No reason to trade him now.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
RP McMurphy said:
That's what I'm hoping, too. Harrington is a great sixth man, but I think he would be an okay second option too. The Hawks just need a guard who can create his own shot...Chris Paul, maybe? If they can get a top point guard and a center who can rebound, I don't see why Harrington couldn't even be the Hawks' long-term starter at power forward. No reason to trade him now.
There's talk that Chris Paul may stay in college for one more year before going to the NBA. Tonight, Felton and Deron Williams play so that should be good match up. We could use any one of those two.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
TheATLien said:
There's talk that Chris Paul may stay in college for one more year before going to the NBA. Tonight, Felton and Deron Williams play so that should be good match up. We could use any one of those two.
Yeah, one of those PG's would help. From what i've seen of Tyronn Lue, he's a pretty good scorer but not a good distributor. I see he's got a good assist to turnover ratio, but after having Antonio Daniels on my favorite team, I realize how overrated that stat is. It tends to favor PG's who overdribble and get their assists on safe passes rather than creating offense. Lue could still be a solid backup I guess.

I think the Hawks would be wise to upgrade the PG spot in free agency, even if they draft Williams or Felton. I think they should be patient with the rookie. It's the hardest position to learn in the NBA and not many succed if they are just thrown in the fire by starting.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I would not spend any more than MLE on a PG if we draft a PG with our high pick. Earl Watson is a good veteran FA, but he would probably cost more than the MLE. And I would not rule out Marvin Williams. He is built like a PF, and could develop into a great PF.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
The Hawks should keep Al Harrington. He shouldn't be their go-to guy, but he's still young and is a good scoring option. The Hawks are set at the 2 and 3 with Childress and Smith. They just need a few more pieces like a presence inside (Bogut) or a point guard who can create his own shot and distribute (Paul). They're probably gonna end up with one of those 2 guys in the draft, so Harrington should be just fine next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts