Votes: 24 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 54.7%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you make you vote, take this information into account.

*4 out of top 7 scorers in the NBA are out of high school.

*4 out of the top 7 players in efficiency in the NBA are out of high school

*9 high school players this year average p6, r3, a1

*James and Amare were 20 point scorers their second season.

*6 players that were drafted out of high school between 1995-1998 currently average 23 points 8 rebounds combined.

1995-2003: 11 players effective out of 20

2004: 7 players effective out of 8 this year

So there is a trend, at least this year where more players coming out of high school are effective their first years, they do not just sit on the bench this year. And the groups average is very impressive considering there are 9 of them and 2 don't even play in Swift and Wright.

Being effective in my terms means averaging at least 5 points a game in general and getting around 2-3 rebounds.

Key: p=points, r=rebound, a=assist

p1, r1, a1 / p1, r1, a1 First section is rookie year / Second section is current year.

9 (p6, r3, a1)

1 Howard p11, r10
4 Livingston p6, r2, a4
11 Biedrins p4, r3
12 Swift p0, r1
13 Telfair p6, a3
15 Jefferson p7, r4
17 Smith p9, r6
18 JR Smith p10
19 Wright p0

7/9 effective

5 (p5, r2, a1) (p7, r3, a1)

1 James p20, r5, a6 / p26, r7, a7
2 Milicic p1, r1
23 Outlaw p1, r1 / p4, r2
26 Ebi p1, r1
27 Perkins p2, r1 / p2, r3

1/5 effective

1 (p13, r8) (p26, r9)

9 Stoudemire p13, r8 / p26, r9

1 effective

4 (p5, r4) (p8, r5)

1 Brown p5, r4 / p6, r5
2 Chandler p6, r5 / p8 r9
4 Curry p7, r4 / p16, r4
8 Diop p2, r1 / p1, r2

¾ effective

2 (p6, r4) (p9, r3)

3 Miles p9, r6 / p12, r5
23 Stevenson p2, r1 / p6, r2

½ effective

2 (p3, r1 / p5, r2)

5 Bender p3, r1 / p5, r2
29 Leon Smith p2, r2

0/2 effective

2 (p2, r2) (p19, r6)

25 Al Harrington p2, r2 / p17, r7, a3
32 Rashad Lewis p2, r2 / p20, r5

0/2 effective

1 (p7, r5) (p25, r6, a6)

9 McGrady p7, r5 / p25, r6, a6

1 effective

2 (p6, r2) (p26, r8)

13 Bryant p8 r1 / p28, r6, a6
17 J. O’Neal p4, r3 / p24, r9

2/2 effective

1 (p10, r7) (p22, r14, a6)

5 Garnett p10, r7 / p22, r14, a6

1 effective

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
No, there shouldn't be an age limit. With the length of rookie contracts, it's dumb that such talented players have to wait so long to make big money. They have to wait to get into the league, then after that wait another 4 years to get out of a rookie contract? They shouldn't have to wait until they're 25 to make big money if they're very good players at 21-22 years old.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
No, there shouldn't be an age limit. With the length of rookie contracts, it's dumb that such talented players have to wait so long to make big money. They have to wait to get into the league, then after that wait another 4 years to get out of a rookie contract? They shouldn't have to wait until they're 25 to make big money if they're very good players at 21-22 years old.
so, lebron isnt making "big money" because he's stuck on a rookie contract?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Instead of an age limit, how about training GMs to not be idiots, and learn who to draft and when. If they can produce, there is no problem. If they draft a bust because of media hype, then that's their problem, and the owner should fire his crappy management.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Debt Collector said:
so, lebron isnt making "big money" because he's stuck on a rookie contract?
What he makes off the court is irrelevant, I'm talking about how much they make for playing basketball.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
sherwin said:
Instead of an age limit, how about training GMs to not be idiots, and learn who to draft and when. If they can produce, there is no problem. If they draft a bust because of media hype, then that's their problem, and the owner should fire his crappy management.
Good call. :clap:

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
I think there must be an age limit of 18 years old. Otherwise, we might have guys foregoing High School to enter the NBA. LeBron for example could possibly have done it after his Sophomore year in High School. Do we really want 16 years olds in the NBA?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Rockstone said:
I think there must be an age limit of 18 years old. Otherwise, we might have guys foregoing High School to enter the NBA. LeBron for example could possibly have done it after his Sophomore year in High School. Do we really want 16 years olds in the NBA?
Sarcasm?

When you talk about how successful high schoolers are in the NBA, you have to talk about the cases that end up ruining there basketball careers, such as the guy the raptors worked out this season (I forget his name). He was drafted in the second round out of high school several seasons ago because he injured his ankle in his senior season, and no one wanted to take the risk on him. He never ended up getting a contract and now doesn't have a job in the NBA, actually he never has. Players like this could really use college, and this gets me thinking we need an age limit in the NBA, but when I see players like LeBron, it gets me thinking otherwise. I just think we need to test these high schoolers better before they enter the NBA, and make sure they can produce right away, instead of being projects that won't be used for several seasons.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ps!ence_Fiction said:
Players like this could really use college
Use college for what? education or for improving the prospects of joining the nba.. If it's education he can still join college.. nothin's lost. If it's joining the nba, why wouldn't that freak injury happen to him in college. After college he might end up not getting drafted like about 30,000 other players every year..

age limit is there for drinking and that's where it should stick to..

OT- Also i'm not sure.. but does having an age limit go against EOE?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Ps!ence_Fiction said:
Sarcasm?

When you talk about how successful high schoolers are in the NBA, you have to talk about the cases that end up ruining there basketball careers, such as the guy the raptors worked out this season (I forget his name). He was drafted in the second round out of high school several seasons ago because he injured his ankle in his senior season, and no one wanted to take the risk on him. He never ended up getting a contract and now doesn't have a job in the NBA, actually he never has. Players like this could really use college, and this gets me thinking we need an age limit in the NBA, but when I see players like LeBron, it gets me thinking otherwise. I just think we need to test these high schoolers better before they enter the NBA, and make sure they can produce right away, instead of being projects that won't be used for several seasons.
HS kids shouldnt be allowed to be drafted in the 2nd round.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well outside of foreign players that come in as "high school players" or in other words basically 18, I can count on one hand the number of players that have been busts that left for the NBA out of high school. I don't know the exact stats, but considering about 30 high school players that came straight out are in the NBA right now, maybe 5-7 did not make it. In other words 30 out of 37 made it, thats a good percentage I would say. Sure you have you Cisse, Cook, Collins, L. Smith etc. But those players are the minority, not the majority.

And really considering the results with players coming straight out of high school, I am not sure I would want to mess with that. Four out of the top seven players in the NBA are straight out of high school. People say they just "sit on the bench" well they do have practices in the NBA, almost every day, and its not like a Charles Oakley can't teach a player just as much as a Rick Patino can. Sure some things are different, but a guy like Oakley or a veteran can be just as good of teacher as a college coach can be, especially since they have been in the NBA for awhile and know what it takes, unlike college coaches who are out to win games.

Not saying college is bad or college coaches are bad, just saying....

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Lebron brings back way more money than he is paid in relation to his salary. Like I have said in the past, if you want an age limit, get rid of the rookie contracts. Since the NBA doesn't want to do that, the players union is not going to go for an age limit.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
I am 100% behind having some sort of age limit on players entering the NBA draft.

I like the way the current policy the NFL has concerning draft eligibility.

I certainly don't blame the players for entering the NBA draft.

The business is about making money and if they know they can get a guaranteed contract out of an NBA team I can't see how anybody could fault them for leaving early.

It's hard for me to put all the blame on the GM's too however. No GM wants to pass up on a kid who one day may become a star just because he might take a year or two in the NBA to develop as a solid player.

If there was say a 20 year old age limit for people entering the NBA draft it not only would improve the college game, because of all the talent staying in school, but would also improve the talent level of the NBA as a whole.

You then wouldn't have to use a roster spot on waiting for a kid to develop, you instead could use the spot for a player who mabey doesn't have the 'star potential' down the line but who could come in and make an immediate impact on your squad.

Yes there are going to be exceptions, there is in everything in life, but overall I think that an age limit would help improve both the college and pro games.

Hopefully, while negotiating the next CBA, the two sides can come to a general consensus that this is a positive for the game and put an age limit in place.

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
Ps!ence_Fiction said:
Yeah, I was using some sarcsam but thread starter asked if there should be an age limit and my response is yes. I think NBA should keep their current age limit of 18. The NBA without an age limit would be silly. Some guys would seriously think about foregoing their senior year of high school to pursue their NBA dream.

Should I assume that the thread starter meant to ask if the NBA should increase their current age limit from 18 to 20?

If that was specified in the original post, then I missed it. :rock:

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Ps!ence_Fiction said:
Then let the NBA join the 20th century (yes, I'm aware that this is the 21st) and create a real farm system so that NBA teams aren't forced to carry project players on the big league roster. That's far better for aspiring hoops players than the piss poor coaching they get playing in college.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts