Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Should TMAC be a HOFer?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy never played in the 2nd round of the playoffs and never won MVP. He is however a 7 time All Star, and has been on 7 All NBA teams (Including 2 1st team selections) He also lead the league in scoring twice and is one of 28 players with 16000 points, 4000 rebounds and 4000 assists. The other 27 are:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*
Ray Allen
Charles Barkley*
Rick Barry*
Larry Bird*
Kobe Bryant
Wilt Chamberlain*
Bob Cousy*
Clyde Drexler*
Alex English*
Kevin Garnett
Hal Greer*
John Havlicek*
Grant Hill
LeBron James
Magic Johnson*
Michael Jordan*
Jason Kidd
Karl Malone*
Tracy McGrady
Reggie Miller*
Gary Payton
Paul Pierce
Scottie Pippen*
Oscar Robertson*
John Stockton*
Jerry West*
Lenny Wilkens*

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
I voted no, then read that list and realized that every player on it will be in the HOF when eligible (even you Grant Hill) except for McGrady. Now, I think he'll end up like Adrian Dantley and make it a long time after he becomes eligible. I don't think he was ever the best player in the league or at his position for even a single season, but you can't argue those overall stats and the company he is keeping.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I voted no, then read that list and realized that every player on it will be in the HOF when eligible (even you Grant Hill) except for McGrady. Now, I think he'll end up like Adrian Dantley and make it a long time after he becomes eligible. I don't think he was ever the best player in the league or at his position for even a single season, but you can't argue those overall stats and the company he is keeping.
I disagree. My first reaction was a no because his career was relatively short, but I think one major thing he has going for him was his peak was exceptionally high. He had one of the all-time great seasons for a guard in 2002-2003. If he was never the best player in the NBA, it's only because his prime coincided with Shaq and Tim Duncan's prime. From 2000-2003 he was every bit as good as Kobe was (this will infuriate Lakers fans, and is a conversation that dominated message boards 10 years ago, but it's true).

He was never the same player after he hurt his back in 2004/2005, but before that he was a devastatingly efficient volume scorer. I don't know if he will get in the hall of fame because he has the reputation of a loser and he didn't last very long, but at his best he was better than at least half of the guys who are.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Grant Hill, however, has the advantage of a sterling collegiate career. The way that the BB Hall of Fame is formatted - that gives him a leg up. I vote "no" on T-Mac because that peak was just too brief in my eyes. Without that "Get into HoF Free" card that is a strong collegiate career - I can't see it happening.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I disagree. My first reaction was a no because his career was relatively short, but I think one major thing he has going for him was his peak was exceptionally high. He had one of the all-time great seasons for a guard in 2002-2003. If he was never the best player in the NBA, it's only because his prime coincided with Shaq and Tim Duncan's prime. From 2000-2003 he was every bit as good as Kobe was (this will infuriate Lakers fans, and is a conversation that dominated message boards 10 years ago, but it's true).

He was never the same player after he hurt his back in 2004/2005, but before that he was a devastatingly efficient volume scorer. I don't know if he will get in the hall of fame because he has the reputation of a loser and he didn't last very long, but at his best he was better than at least half of the guys who are.
Doesn't infuriate me. Everything I said then proved to be true. McGrady was every bit as talented as Kobe but he didn't possess the personality or intanigibles to lead a team anywhere.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Joe Dumars is in the HoF. Who knows?

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Joe Dumars is in the HoF. Who knows?
In Michael Jordan's own words: Dumars was the greatest defensive shooting guard he ever had to face. Jordan doesn't throw out compliments to the opposition very often. Frankly: based on that assessment alone, Dumars belongs. Not to mention his importance to a back to back title squad.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts
Voted no, He never made anything really of his career besides scoring great for a few years. If he wasn't injured most the time, then Yes he probably would make it with ease.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
They seemingly let everyone in. Might as well.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
I agree with this wholeheartedly - McGrady could have been a hall of famer even with his lackluster level of giveadamn had he been healthy through his entire career. That's the truly impressive thing. He was SO talented that we are having this debate despite everyone acknowledging he pretty much halfassed his career plus was injured all the damn time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App

1 - 20 of 52 Posts