Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Should Green be in the rotation?

• Yes, he gives us a better chance to win.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, he can't play with Iverson.

Votes: 1 25.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would ask what you think our playoff roster should be, but right now I think there'll be no surprises in the group we'll have available to play. So instead I ask about one of the players who played a huge part in yesterday's win over the Wizards.

Should Willie Green be kept on cold storage, ready for whenever Iverson doesn't play, or should he be getting consistent minutes in the rotation?

I have my own opinion, but I really want to see what people think before saying what I think. It seems obvious, but there are some who don't think he should play.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
He should definately be in our rotation. When he's playing consistant minutes he's doing real well. Not having the security of knowing if you're playing or not really affects a player and when they know they are going to get minutes they play better, much better as Willie showed last night against the Wizards. I think we can rest Iverson a little more each game and have Willie Green play the majority of the second and a part of the third and possibly early fourth for a total of around 18 minutes a game.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great point about resting Iverson, he might want to be out there 48 minutes a night, but the more chances we have to limit his crashing to the floor the better off we'll be.

Another good thing about Green is he's playing much more controlled right now. He still doesn't have good handle, but he's become a much more effecient dribbler. Before he used to try and run the break full court and out of control like Iverson, and that just wasn't his game. Also I think Willie Green would thrive on the floor with Webber when Iverson's on the bench.

I said it before if we can play McKie and Salmons together on the floor, there's no doubt in my mind we can play Iverson and Green.

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
I want Green in the rotation, but only as a pg when Iverson's out, which should be about 8 min. per. that way green could come in and be AI for that short time, and there wouldn't be the drop off we see when AI's on the bench now that allows teams to come back from leads or expand them.

But I don't like the idea of playing AI and Green together at all, they both seem to lose their rythym playing together.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never liked the idea of a player who you're expecting production from to only play when another guy is on the bench. I'd say Green should be playing 12-14 minutes, sometimes Iverson is on the court with guys like Iguodala, McKie, and Salmons at the same time while all these guys serve their purpose their reluctance to shoot forces AI to jack up more shots, when you know if Willie was out there he'd be able to take some of the pressure off of AI.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Oh **** my bad. I thought you meant by do you want him starting. I accidently voted no, but if you can, change it to yes.

Yeah he should definately be in the rotation. did you see him yesterday? His shot is not all that bad either. You'd be crazy to not want him in the rotation. I mean if he can produce, why not let him?

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
CourierPost - Green Always Ready For Playing Time

Monday, April 11, 2005

By CELESTE E. WHITTAKER
Courier-Post Staff
WASHINGTON

There was a play late in the Sixers' game against the Wizards on Saturday that was a thing of beauty and it showed the Sixers' young players at their best.

Center Samuel Dalembert blocked a Larry Hughes shot at one end, rookie guard/forward Andre Iguodala ended up finding Willie Green with a nice wraparound pass on the other end and Green scored on the reverse layup. Iguodala and Green bumped chests.

The Sixers, who led by as many as 21 points in the first half, were ahead by five at that point and held on for the eventual 112-106 victory. They had to fight their way back from 13 points down in the fourth quarter and they had to do it without Allen Iverson and Chris Webber.

Iverson sat out with a pair of sprained thumbs and Webber missed his fifth straight game with a sprained left shoulder.

But the Sixers got help from the youngsters and the veterans alike. Iguodala had 20 points, eight rebounds and six assists, Green had 20 points, nine assists and one turnover and Dalembert had 18 points and eight rebounds. Veteran forward Rodney Rogers, starting in place of Webber, had 17 points. Veteran Marc Jackson added 20 off the bench.

As a result, the Sixers (39-37) are two games above .500 for the first time this season.
Even more evidence why Green should be getting more minutes. I trust him, I think the team trusts him, I just hope O'Brien can learn to trust him.

Full article here:
Sixers' Green always ready to play

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
DelawareOnline - 76ers' Green knows his place (Yes! More praise for Willie G.)

WASHINGTON -- Willie Green knows where he will be Tuesday should Allen Iverson return to the lineup for the 76ers game against the Boston Celtics: At the end of the bench, unlikely to play unless the game is a blowout one way or the other.

Green's situation - hero one night, frequent bench-warmer the other nights - has become one of the mysteries of the 76ers' season, especially because of how he plays when he starts for the injured Iverson.

That was apparent Saturday in the Sixers' improbable 112-106 victory over the Washington Wizards, when both Iverson (two sprained thumbs) and Chris Webber (left shoulder sprain) sat out. Green played 38 minutes, scored 20 points, had nine assists and just one turnover, and made perhaps the defensive play of the game when he stripped Washington's Gilbert Arenas in the final minute as the Wizards desperately tried to get back into the game.

It couldn't have come at a better time for the 76ers (39-37), who could move within one game of the first-place Celtics in the Atlantic Division by winning Tuesday. The division winner will get the third seed in the Eastern Conference playoff picture. As it stands right now, the Sixers are the seventh seed and 1 1/2 games ahead of ninth-place New Jersey.
Free Willie Green!!

Full article here:
Backup guard understands his role playing behind Iverson

1 - 8 of 8 Posts