Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Should Yasiel Puig Make The All-Star Team?

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be a hot topic amongst baseball aficionados these days. What do you guys think?

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
He should make the all star team, but probably won't since he hasn't had enough games in yet. So maybe he should set his goals higher, continue to hit 400 plus all year, and keep knocking out home runs at an incredible rate, and maybe the MVP will come his way. Now that would be exceptional.

·
Banned
1,952 Posts
Absolutely not. Coming back to Earth is not far away, hopefully he will not crash and burn upon re-entry.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
The All Star Game is an EXHIBITION. It is meant as a showcase for the sport to the fans. It is not a game of any consequence at all... Oh wait... Scratch that, **** you Selig. :p Then again... with the game counting for something, wouldn't it make TOTAL SENSE for the National League to want their hottest hitter on the team?

This is all about home field advantage in the World Series now, and Yasiel Puig is a red hot sensation, fans are all about him, and he's got a great story. There's no reason not to put him on the roster right now. He hasn't come "back to Earth" yet.

On top of that: go back my first point. The INITIAL ASG was held at the Worlds Fair as an exhibition for the sport. We give it value, counting ASG appearances like they really matter across a player's career. Its a neat achievement, but what this really is is a huge exhibition. Showcase the best stories, the ones the fans want to see.

So lets showcase Yasiel Puig.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Puig takes Justin Upton's spot. Upton is having a horrible summer after a red hot spring, and voters have short term memory.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
It's a popularity contest anyways, and he's one of the most popular players in the game right now. He should be in.

That being said, I don't really follow baseball.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
The All Star Game is an EXHIBITION. It is meant as a showcase for the sport to the fans. It is not a game of any consequence at all... Oh wait... Scratch that, **** you Selig. :p Then again... with the game counting for something, wouldn't it make TOTAL SENSE for the National League to want their hottest hitter on the team?

This is all about home field advantage in the World Series now, and Yasiel Puig is a red hot sensation, fans are all about him, and he's got a great story. There's no reason not to put him on the roster right now. He hasn't come "back to Earth" yet.

On top of that: go back my first point. The INITIAL ASG was held at the Worlds Fair as an exhibition for the sport. We give it value, counting ASG appearances like they really matter across a player's career. Its a neat achievement, but what this really is is a huge exhibition. Showcase the best stories, the ones the fans want to see.

So lets showcase Yasiel Puig.
+1

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts
I wouldnt' have a big problem one way or another. I think he should go for the exhibition value (as stated earlier), but if he's left off the world won't end. I think a lot of people would rather see him than the lone rep for some of the bad teams.

I don't watch the ASG anyway. It's a tremendous waste of time.

The "every team should be represented" is an even bigger joke.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
Yuniesky Betencourt hit like .350 with like 8 dingers in april.. Im not saying puig is yuni or anything close to that, all i am saying is basing anything off of one month is silly. Thia same shit happened with tebow and jeremy lin

·
Super Moderator
14,320 Posts
So... for those saying Puig should play... should the NBA have let Jeremy Lin play in the '11-'12 all-star game?

The problem is that we actually do assign some value to all-star games when we're assessing a players legacy. If I was Deron Williams or Rajon Rondo (or one of their fans) I don't know how crazy I'd be about getting sent home from an all-star game, something that could make a difference in my paycheck, endorsements, my legacy, my hall of fame chances, for what could end up being a flash-in-the-pan.

I guess I think of it this way - if Yasiel Puig is really the real deal, then he'll get his turn to play in the all-star game... if he isn't, then I don't think we'd want him in because of a hot 25-30 game stretch.

From a marketing standpoint if I was MLB I would throw him on the last fan-vote poll thingy and let him get in that way.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
So... for those saying Puig should play... should the NBA have let Jeremy Lin play in the '11-'12 all-star game?

The problem is that we actually do assign some value to all-star games when we're assessing a players legacy. If I was Deron Williams or Rajon Rondo (or one of their fans) I don't know how crazy I'd be about getting sent home from an all-star game, something that could make a difference in my paycheck, endorsements, my legacy, my hall of fame chances, for what could end up being a flash-in-the-pan.

I guess I think of it this way - if Yasiel Puig is really the real deal, then he'll get his turn to play in the all-star game... if he isn't, then I don't think we'd want him in because of a hot 25-30 game stretch.

From a marketing standpoint if I was MLB I would throw him on the last fan-vote poll thingy and let him get in that way.
I would have found a way to get Lin in the NBA All-Star game, no doubt about it. He was the most popular thing in the sport for a significant stretch of the fraction of the season that's considered for the All-Star ballot. You're not giving him an MVP, you're putting him in a show that doesn't count towards your record and is basically a show the sport puts on for it's fans. Why wouldn't you want the most popular thing in the sport showcased in some capacity in your biggest event? It's pretty simple marketing, and as long as it's something reserved for special moments, I have no problem with it.

Yasiel Puig is also not having your typical hot streak. Tied for 2nd most hits in MLB history in your first 15 games, and the first player in major league history to record 34 hits and 7 homeruns in his first 20 games. Smashing records for a historic franchise. If he gets in the game you can make a case it's merited, since he was doing something seen so rarely and even things we've never seen in the history of the league. That's not just getting hot and having a few good games at the right time, he's absolutely dominating. He's electrified the league, I barely follow baseball and I just wrote two full paragraphs about wanting to see him in the game.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Look at all of the JOKERS that have made ASG appearances in the past. If Puig never makes another one - it makes no difference in his legacy! If he's a perennial all star and Hall of Famer - this just makes it all the more impressive. This is win-win if you bring him into the ASG. There is NO DOWNSIDE. Someone will be "snubbed" regardless. So **** that argument. Yasiel Puig and the ASG should be synonyms this year. He's a great story, he drums up fan interest, and he is red hot at just the right time to help the NL secure home field advantage in the World Series. There is no downside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts