Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is very hard for me because I LOVED SHOWTIME for me the best basketball I've ever watched,there was NOTHING BETTER THAN MAGIC WITH THE BALL IN HIS HANDS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BREAK NOTHING BETTER THEN WHEN HE'D NO LOOK IT TO BIG GAME FOR THE DUNK , I'D JUMP OFF MY COUCH EACH TIME LIKE IT WAS THE FIRST TIME I HAD SEEN IT EVEN TO THIS DAY WHEN I SEE OLD CLIPS IT BRINGS CHILLS TO WHEN I WORSHIPPED THOSE LAKER TEAMS.

But now back to reality The current Lakers who I love also not quite as much as showtime but getting close, Would BEAT the SHOWTIME Lakers, Shaq and Kobe would just pound those old Lakers into submission I'd say they'd beat them in 7 games. THAT isn't exactley a pounding but Shaq would just physically pound CAP mercilessly. The sky Hook would be taken damn near at the three point line couldn't get any closer to take those shots. Magic would have the biggest advantage because of his matchup Neither Fisher or Kobe could guard him, but Kobe would just destroy Cooper or B Scott, challenging Jabbar all game and drawing fouls. James Worthy often used his quickness against bulkier forwards but against Horry would get locked up he'd have no quickness advantage and Horry's length would CAUSE Worthy problems.

We are watching possibly the 2 Best Players at their positions in NBA history never been done before I know there are alot of Kobe haters but him and Shaq are going Down as the 2 best players to ever play together only time will bear that out. The thing I LOVE most about this Laker team unlike anyteam I've ever seen play NBA BALL is that sometimes they look so passive so not agressive like they're the weakest championship team ever ,like frankly they don't give a damn , and when things get their complete Worst like against Portland a few years ago and Sacramento this year they won't fold it looks absoloutely bad they don't fold,they play ,they come out swinging their 2 stars and their coach won't let them lose they always seem to find a way it's gotten to a point now that I don't even worry when they don't play well I know they're coming back THEY ARE THE BEST COMEBACK TEAM OF ALLTIME They always come back no matter what the situation they have the HEART OF A CHAMPION .

I KNOW IT SEEMS BLASPHEMOUS ,AND MAGIC IS MY FAVORITE PLAYER OF ALL TIME but we're watching history here this isn't going to be done for a while THIS CURRENT LAKER TEAM IS THE BEST TEAM THE LAKERS HAVE EVER HAD I know other Laker teams have had more hall of famers but on the strength of SHAQ AND KOBE these Lakers are the best .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
Here is my view

I will break it down some

C-Kareem vs Shaq

Intersting matchup. I think it depends on how old Kareem was..but Shaq couldn't guard Kareem's skyhook-and there is no way Kareem could guard Shaq. However, there are a lot of Centers who can shoot the long shot or shots that Shaq cant guard-and they still win-so he should be ok.

ADVANTAGE: SHAQ

PF-A.C. Green vs Horry

AC is a hustle player-not a whole lot of skill-but he works hard and can hit the jumper. Horry is a very smart player-who can score more than AC. Horry goes up against players who are a lot better than AC daily-I think he would be glad to guard AC.

ADVANTAGE: Horry

SF-Worthy vs Fox

Worthy is one of the all-time greats, while Fox is a good role player. Fox has guarded some pretty good players-but Worthy is unique because of his speed and agility to go along with his size. Worthy shouldn't have much trouble with Fox on the defensive end. Not really close here.

ADVANTAGE: Worthy

SG-Byron vs Kobe

Byron is a scorer-not a defender, he got a lot of his points from running and finishing off the fast break. He was also a good shooter. His defense however was average. Kobe can be an excellent defender-and he would be able to slow down Byron-On the offensive side, Kobe would tear Byron apart.

ADVANTAGE:Kobe

PG-Magic vs Fisher

Magic has a lot of advantages over Fish. He can pass,score,rebound, and he has a lot of size. He is the number 2 PG of all time IMO- Fisher is not the most athletic player-but he is pretty smart..but Magic would give him a ton of trouble.

ADVANTAGE: Magic

I could go into the bench and coaching also,but I will just stick with the starters.

Players now are better athletes and Showtime didn't play great defense.

Current Lakers win 4-3
 

·
A!
Joined
·
9,434 Posts
Re: Here is my view

Originally posted by <b>Wilt_The_Stilt</b>!
I could go into the bench and coaching also,but I will just stick with the starters.

Players now are better athletes and Showtime didn't play great defense.

Current Lakers win 4-3
The bench is what gives the "Showtime" Lakers the edge....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points WILT alot of people tend to overglorify those older great teams but I agree with what you say in those match-ups. KC has a good point though,WILKES,THOMPSON,LUCAS,Mcadoo,Norm Nixon, Mike Magee,Cooper,and others thats a compelling argument the main drawback wih this Laker team is the bench with the new salary cap restrictions the Lakers just don't want to pay for the depth I guess figuring they can win with out it.

WHICH YEAR OF THIS CURRENT LAKER RUN HAD THE BEST TEAM.

I think it was probably the 1st championship with Glen Rice but Kobe's a much better player now but then again they had more depth with Harper and Horry coming off the bench. Also I think Shaq was much better then, he was in much better shape and didn't have injuries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!

WHICH YEAR OF THIS CURRENT LAKER RUN HAD THE BEST TEAM.

I think it was probably the 1st championship with Glen Rice but Kobe's a much better player now but then again they had more depth with Harper and Horry coming off the bench. Also I think Shaq was much better then, he was in much better shape and didn't have injuries.
I think the best year of the Laker run was the second year-we had Horace who was good for defending the great PF's in the west,and we had Lue for guarding the quick guards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
Re: Re: Here is my view

Originally posted by <b>KC</b>!


The bench is what gives the "Showtime" Lakers the edge....
I thought about the bench and coaches when I chose-I just meant I wasn't going to write about them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!

We are watching possibly the 2 Best Players at their positions in NBA history never been done before I know there are alot of Kobe haters but him and Shaq are going Down as the 2 best players to ever play together only time will bear that out. The thing I LOVE most about this Laker team unlike anyteam I've ever seen play NBA BALL is that sometimes they look so passive so not agressive like they're the weakest championship team ever ,like frankly they don't give a damn , and when things get their complete Worst like against Portland a few years ago and Sacramento this year they won't fold it looks absoloutely bad they don't fold,they play ,they come out swinging their 2 stars and their coach won't let them lose they always seem to find a way it's gotten to a point now that I don't even worry when they don't play well I know they're coming back THEY ARE THE BEST COMEBACK TEAM OF ALLTIME They always come back no matter what the situation they have the HEART OF A CHAMPION .
Now, now, let's not get ahead of ourselves... :laugh:
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top