Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this week's Sports Illustrated...I don't know how many picked it up or have a subscription, but there is an article written by Jay Williams basically summarizing a lot of what we already know. Since I am a paying customer and this is straight from a magazine I should be able to quote from parts of it...

"I remember lying on the ground thinking, Will I be able to play basketball again? Then the ambulance came, the pain began, and I had a more basic question: Would I live?"

"I can drive the 10 minutes to the center myself now, but that four or five hours of daily physical therapy is mental torture - the same stretches and exercises, over and over. Afterward I sometimes go to the courts at Duke, I'll walk to the foul line, put down my crutches and take shots"

"For business reasons the Bulls may buy out the remaining two years of my contract, but both Paxson and I expect me to be in a Bulls uniform next year."

"I stay in touch with teammates like Jamal Crawford. The Mavs' Steve Nash....wrote me and said that if anyone has the will to make it back I do."

From Sports Illustrated dated January 12, 2004. Excerpted from the article "I Will Play Again" by Jay Williams.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
I read the article last night. It was nice in that he had a lot of positive, hopeful things to say. But you are right -- there was not much at all in there that we didn't already know.

Except for the nice letter of support he got from Nash. Classy.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I hope he can make it back. He has the guts and determination, gl man.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
I read the article last night. It was nice in that he had a lot of positive, hopeful things to say. But you are right -- there was not much at all in there that we didn't already know.

Except for the nice letter of support he got from Nash. Classy.

Yes, I found that to be great. Nash is a classy guy.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the fact that the only player on the Bulls he mentioned was Jamal Crawford was quite interesting after the whole Jay vs Jamal battle we had believed was going on. Seems like that might have been overblown.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Steve Nash is a classy guy. And one of the most interesting guys in the NBA. If we had cap space, i would say sign him even if we have 3 great pgs.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Originally posted by <b>T.Shock</b>!
I thought the fact that the only player on the Bulls he mentioned was Jamal Crawford was quite interesting after the whole Jay vs Jamal battle we had believed was going on. Seems like that might have been overblown.
Like so many things on this board....

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Originally posted by <b>T.Shock</b>!
According to all accounts, the Jamal vs Jay ordeal was very real. But by the end of last year, once both guys finally starting playing on the court together, things started to resume to normal and I believe they eventually became "friends". One account was that Jamal and Jay nearly came to blows in one practice.

JWill's accident also had a way of putting alot in perspective, an idea that Jamal is reported to stated as well.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
jamals big sister told me straight up that Jamal and Jay werent fond of each other until late feb. that was when Jamal just took the job. Jay kind of conceded it it sounded. he was beat. Eddy and Jamal started including him in off the court activities. as well as Tyson. and Jay would go over to Jamals house and hang out. It didnt start well but it ended great. and Jay is apparently pretty good friends with kirk as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.