Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/11/21/raptors/index.html

If the U.S. gets hit with a sudden cold front today, it might be due to our neighbors up in the Great White North. The collective sigh of relief in Toronto was that big Sunday after the Raptors beat the Heat for their first win of the 2005-06 season.

Toronto (1-9) no longer has to worry about setting the NBA record for most losses to start a campaign. While it might have been unlikely anyway (the 1998-99 Clippers and '88-89 Heat each started 0-17), it's officially a dead issue now. Up next on the NBA's Please-God-Let-Us-Win-One-Now-Tour: the Hawks (0-9).

But Sunday's victory won't change the overall landscape in Toronto. GM Rob Babcock appears to be on the hot seat, as does his hand-picked coach Sam Mitchell. Raptors top brass denies there's any truth to the speculation, but few around the league seem to believe it.

The Raptors are a mess with few signs of turning things around any day soon. Mitchell is breaking clipboards. Jalen Rose is finding himself on the bench for key stretches. Even mild-mannered Chris Bosh is calling out teammates.....

Maybe Sunday's victory over the Shaq-less Heat will ease the tension in Toronto. Maybe former Purdue coach Gene Keady, currently interviewing for a spot on Mitchell's staff as an assistant, will provide a comb-over of their mostly bald defense. Maybe fans will get in the holiday spirit and allow Babcock to get on with rebuilding the Raptors in peace. After all, rookies Charlie Villanueva, Joey Graham and Jose Calderon each has had his positive moments.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Benis007 said:
Ponder the scenario:

A mundane, fairly boring piece articulating the slow, steady, uneventful process of rebuilding versus the high drama of jobs @ stake w/ firings imminent; now consider the source - if the bottom line is to sell subscriptions, both virtual and print - which story will engender more interest and potentially $$$? It's why so-called magazines such as People, the National Inquirer, etc. sell... It's no different in sports, professional or otherwise...

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Benis007 said:
no, just posted it
Benis skates again.

The point of that picture wasn't to say we'd already discussed the topic of your thread or anything like that. More of a commentary on the fact that many writers make a living going around the League via hoopshype or espn's newswire, finding tidbits on each team written by other people, putting it in their own words, piling it together, and sending it to print.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
speedythief said:
Benis skates again.

The point of that picture wasn't to say we'd already discussed the topic of your thread or anything like that. More of a commentary on the fact that many writers make a living going around the League via hoopshype or espn's newswire, finding tidbits on each team written by other people, putting it in their own words, piling it together, and sending it to print.
No!!! Say it ain't so. . . . Journalism - has it always been this crappy?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
CrookedJ said:
No!!! Say it ain't so. . . . Journalism - has it always been this crappy?

budgets and operating costs are pretty freak'n low these days. and really what's wrong with it? sure, living in toronto or following the raptors we find the story redundant, but for the majority of american basketball fans, they probably don't know about all this stuff. i actual think it's a good article, they're not really bashing the team or, as far as i can tell, telling any lies, so it's fine by me. if it appeared in the star today, i'd think that was weak, but in S.I.? that's fine.

journalism has always (in the last 50 years) relied on newswire services and affiliates as a source of information. it's way too expensive to have a beat writer in every corner of the globe, covering every possible subject, so newswires are set up to connect agencies across the globe. a very large part of any national or international news is bought from these services, and supplied by the local affiliates in those regions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Quote... "Maybe former Purdue coach Gene Keady... will provide a comb-over of their mostly bald defense"

:rofl:

good line....

I don't care what his hairstyle looks like if he can help us play some D

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
sjinto said:
Quote... "Maybe former Purdue coach Gene Keady... will provide a comb-over of their mostly bald defense"

:rofl:

good line....

I don't care what his hairstyle looks like if he can help us play some D
HE's a good coach, I've made a little slide show . . ..

Its enough to make any man sleepy . . .

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Looks like he keeps a level head.

Mitchell should figure out how to use a defibulator before they hire this guy.. he's a walking heart attack.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
^^ Nice. I was hoping to find a pic of him throwing chairs Bobby Knight style, but to no avail. He appears to be passionate about the game.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hoe can he say thatwe have no chance at turning it around anytime soon? that's probably tyhe stupidest thing in the entier article. First of all we have one of the best young players in the league in Chris Bosh, we have the possible rookie of the year in Charlie V, we have a young point guard who has shown signs of being a star, and we have Joey Graham who is a possible lock down defender down the road. And no where in there did I mention our 2 first rounds picks next year or our excpected massive amount of cap room in 2007. So to say that we have no chance of turning our situation arounds would be completly false , in my opinion we have already begun the turnaround

1 - 17 of 17 Posts