Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In sports, everything needs to be ranked, sorted, and tagged. Take one human being and affix one or two words to encompass his existence in the sporting world. If the label stops sticking a new one can be made.

Case in point, play-by-play rankings, courtesy of our paragons of all things athletic, the writers at Sports Illustrated.

B, Chuck Swirsky, Leo Rautins
These guys live and die with their team. Rautins admitted as much in December, during the waning moments of another Raptors loss. Though Raptors TV had cut away to a commercial locally, the satellite-dish feed stayed with Swirsky and Rautins (and their live microphones) at courtside as the boys in purple let another one slip away. "I know we're not supposed to root for teams," Rautins told his play-by-play man in an all-too-sincere tone, "but these guys kill me when they play this way." Swirsky agreed, though the (semi) touching moment was soon ruined by Rautins' singing along with an AC/DC song that was booming from the public address. Rautins is a Canadian basketball legend and enjoys working up the "play the right way" angle. Though Swirsky takes things a little too seriously sometimes, they make for good TV.
Honestly I prefer Jack Armstrong to Leo Rautins. Those two get an A+ or a 10/10 or a shiny gold star or whatever imaginary reward they deserve.

Leo has a tendency to berrate the viewer with "team X did this, team X should've done this", and "this is why you need to do what I say". I think he has a hard time watching the game as opposed to being involved in it. I also think he bullies Chuck Swirsky and plays it off as friendly banter.

Jack, at least to me, has a gentler nature. He knows it's a game and he enjoys that aspect of it. He doesn't take it as personally when things aren't going well for the team, or when they are going swimmingly. I think he balances the broadcast team better.

My $0.02.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/kelly_dwyer/04/11/announcers.grades/index.html

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Though Swirsky takes things a little too seriously sometimes, they make for good TV.

huh? i think he's a borderline clown. not like a funny clown, but a clown nonetheless. clearly that was the only game this writer ever tuned into. or maybe he watched the game when babcock hurt chuck's feelings and Jack had to bring him down off the ledge.

· Registered
7,189 Posts
crimedog said:
Though Swirsky takes things a little too seriously sometimes, they make for good TV.

huh? i think he's a borderline clown. not like a funny clown, but a clown nonetheless. clearly that was the only game this writer ever tuned into. or maybe he watched the game when babcock hurt chuck's feelings and Jack had to bring him down off the ledge.
That's what I was thinking.

I prefer Leo, I find Jack gets silly with the cheerleading ogoling and such.

· Registered
1,734 Posts
shookem said:
That's what I was thinking.

I prefer Leo, I find Jack gets silly with the cheerleading ogoling and such.
it's so funny wen jack goes "hellooo! ahh, u gotta love it"

· Registered
1,519 Posts
lol. his "hell-o!" cracks me up everytime i hear it.

i don't really agree with some of the rankings though. Some of the better-ranked analysts are the ones that I find extremely boring. And some of the analysts are extreme-homers which can get annoying sometimes if you're just trying to catch a good game on TV. That's why I love the Raptors broadcast team. Not too-homer-y, and never boring. =)

· Registered
815 Posts
blowuptheraptors said:
Wow. Any list that gives Bill Walton an A+ is automatically the worst list ever.
Walton is so bad that he's good though. I love how he always compares people to "the history of western civilization". And Little Nicky wasn't that good of a movie, but it was hilarious when his head was on fire.

Bill Walton Quotes from Gorillamask.com

· Premium Member
3,332 Posts
the age of rankings. lists.

organize all that information in a simple way, even if you can't do it very well, and send it out there. the people want it, don't they? let's just assume they do.

personally, i don't think i'd be able to grade any of the league voices with confidence unless i saw ~25 of their games. seriously. why does this exist.

man, by the time i go, i hope the obsession is dead. for real. i don't think it's making many people happy, i think of it like a bad habit, but what do i know.

peace

· Registered
2,770 Posts
speedythief said:
Honestly I prefer Jack Armstrong to Leo Rautins. Those two get an A+ or a 10/10 or a shiny gold star or whatever imaginary reward they deserve.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/kelly_dwyer/04/11/announcers.grades/index.html
Jack is far and away a more insigntful and fresh color man. He should be his back ground in NCAA coaching all those years + all the college ball games he does have given him deeper insight in to:
- how the game is played
- player psychology

and his comentary is seasoned with nuggets of wisdom unlike leo who essentially says the same thing over and over again. Not to knock leo he is still entertaining and I appreciate the fact that he is more "pro Raptors" than Jack who seems to root for the knicks more so.

· Registered
2,899 Posts
I don't recall the Raptors commentators being especially wonderful but they are 1000 times better than anyone on WGN, NESN or YES (and all commentators who cover Yankees-Red Sox and/or Yankees and Red Sox and Cubs games): they are all homers and even national commentators, like ESPN or Fox Sports, get down on their knees and perform certain acts in the presence of the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs. God, I hate that.

That ended up being off topic. Sorry. :biggrin:

· duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ballocks said:
the age of rankings. lists.

organize all that information in a simple way, even if you can't do it very well, and send it out there. the people want it, don't they? let's just assume they do.

personally, i don't think i'd be able to grade any of the league voices with confidence unless i saw ~25 of their games. seriously. why does this exist.

man, by the time i go, i hope the obsession is dead. for real. i don't think it's making many people happy, i think of it like a bad habit, but what do i know.

peace
I wouldn't put this in the top-50 list of ballocks quotes, but it might be in your top-25 gripes list, number one on that list obviously being excessive capitalization.

· Registered
4,149 Posts
i like chuck, but the salami & cheese & bacon and that **** needs to go, he's a good guy tho, leo is sarcastically always insulting him, i prefer jack over either however, HELLO!!!!!!

jack + swirsk = better then leo.

· bbb
4,538 Posts
madman said:
i want to see chuck leo and jack do a game toghether
I'd like to see that happen. "Hell-o"

· Registered
2,077 Posts
Bill Walton A+
Bill's a lightning rod, to be sure, but he also may be the most subversive talent the tube has to offer. Where others see a fawning sellout, I see an ardent fan who can't believe he's allowed to wax and preen on The Man's dime. Where others see a blustery hyperbole machine, I recognize a guy who loves to toy with the absurdities behind throwing huge gobs of money and focused klieg lights at men in short pants. I think Walton is one of the funniest guys on TV, I think he knows exactly what he's doing, and I know the proceeding paragraph will probably result in a brick being thrown through my living room window.
:clap::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh:
:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.