Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the 1-19-04 issue of Sports Illustrated.

"Here is what the Trailblazers should do: Dump all their other knucklehead but re-sign Rasheed Wallace and recast him as their No.2 player while rebuilding around power forward Zach Randolph. Wallace has already embraced this role, shifting to small forward while continuing to guard the Duncans and the Garnetts. Without Wallace at his side, Randolph would face more double teams and be exploited defensively."

Wow.

SI being the voice of reason? I wonder if anyone is listening?

·
Registered
15,963 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Yeah ok. So now SI reads these forums? That very thought has been repeated here off and on for months.

If Portland can get a T-Mac, I will ship Rasheed out on the next boat. But if the only offers are players that don't meet the needs of the team like Jamison (too similar to Zach and bad contract), Keith Van Horn, Shareef Abdur Rahim, Kenyon Martin, why bother?

If Sheed can't be resigned fine. Let him walk and work for the FA market of summer 2005 (T-Mac opts out that summer!).

If he wants to stay in Portland for a reasonable contract, I personally would rather have Sheed then Damon and Ruben.

But thanks to the local media and the pandering and PR mismanagement of the Blazers, they have been painted in a corner. It will be real hard for them to keep Sheed.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The local media has way too much power in this matter. I don't think that Sheed is a saint or anything, but the big O has been going for blood for a long time now on what seems to be based on the personal grudges of reporters that he won't talk to...

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Actually that is what I have endorsed for the last 2 years. Not necessarily making Zach the #1 guy, but making Sheed the #2 guy. He is perfect in that role. I we could resign him for about $7M it would be the smart thing to do.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Me too. If they can somehow endure the O's constant harping for the rest of the season without doing anything rash, I fully expect that they should be able to turn Damon's deal into a useful frontline player in the upcoming offseason. A quality SF or a big banger/defender at the 5 in his place would be like the needed card to complete an inside strait IMO. DA and McInnis at the guards is pretty decent, and Wallace and Zach are a very effective tandem but they need some more help.

Who knows, management may be laughing at all these rumors that are getting folks up in a tizzy here.... I'm really sort of stunned that this came from SI.

STOMP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts