Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about what we may be able to get for Damon or SAR, but that has a lot to do with what teams around the league are willing to spend on the odd couple. How much do you think SAR and Damon will end up signing a new contract for. Both are young enough and proven enough that I expect 4 or 5 year contracts, new cba may drop that to 3 or 4 since they will likely not get max years. I think that SAR will end up getting about 4 years starting at about 7 mil, and Damon will get 4 years starting at 4 mil. What do you think? am I undervaluing Damon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
thylo said:
I was just thinking about what we may be able to get for Damon or SAR, but that has a lot to do with what teams around the league are willing to spend on the odd couple. How much do you think SAR and Damon will end up signing a new contract for. Both are young enough and proven enough that I expect 4 or 5 year contracts, new cba may drop that to 3 or 4 since they will likely not get max years. I think that SAR will end up getting about 4 years starting at about 7 mil, and Damon will get 4 years starting at 4 mil. What do you think? am I undervaluing Damon?
I think those numbers might be close to their actual 'value' but I also think they might get more than that, considering some of the big contracts handed out last off season. I could see SAR getting 8-9 per year to start and getting about 6-7. I don't think either are worth that much coin though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,264 Posts
I could see SAR being on a 4-5 year contract worth 8-9 mil a year.

I don't think Damon will get signed to a long contract, regardless of where he goes. I could see him on a two or three year deal for around $3-4 mil a year. Damon has definitely lost a step in the past few years, and his defense was never great anyway. nobody wants to be stuck with him when he's 35 and demanding minutes and yet another contract. it's a Sprewell just waiting to happen.

I could be wrong, though. I never dreamed Derek Fisher would get the kind of money he got. much like Fisher, though, you can see it coming from a mile away that whomever does wind up with him is going to regret it by the middle of the first season.
 

·
Banned member
Joined
·
28,452 Posts
theWanker said:
I could be wrong, though. I never dreamed Derek Fisher would get the kind of money he got. much like Fisher, though, you can see it coming from a mile away that whomever does wind up with him is going to regret it by the middle of the first season.
Derek Fisher wasn't called the "Anti-Guard' for nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So who do you think will be the major suitors for Damon and Sar? I am just perplexed, especially when I start thinking about who or what they would offer up in return. Dallas might consider either one, Twolves I could also see as having interest, but I do not see either of those teams willing to give up much of anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,320 Posts
thylo said:
So who do you think will be the major suitors for Damon and Sar? I am just perplexed, especially when I start thinking about who or what they would offer up in return. Dallas might consider either one, Twolves I could also see as having interest, but I do not see either of those teams willing to give up much of anything.
The Nets would love to get SAR, but I don't see that there's a workable trade unless they're willing to part with Carter. I could see the Blazers offering Shareef plus Ruben for Vince.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
thylo said:
So who do you think will be the major suitors for Damon and Sar? I am just perplexed, especially when I start thinking about who or what they would offer up in return. Dallas might consider either one, Twolves I could also see as having interest, but I do not see either of those teams willing to give up much of anything.
You are assuming that either player will agree to a S&T.

Reef wants to win more than he needs to earn a huge paycheck. With that in mind, the door opens up a lot more.

Houston.
San Antonio.
Minnesota.
Milwaukee.
New Jersey.
Seattle.
Boston.

As for Damon ... I really don't know what the market would be for an undersized PG with the propensity to fire them up there -- and someone that WON'T sit the bench well.

Play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,320 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
You are assuming that either player will agree to a S&T.

Reef wants to win more than he needs to earn a huge paycheck.
I know you love the guy, Play, but are you having daily conversations with him about his plans for the future? ;)

Shareef is only 29 and this is his last chance at a big money contract. There will be plenty of sign-and-trade offers for his services from teams having a chance to win. I don't think he's going to be opposed to help from the Blazers in getting more than the MLE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,137 Posts
I don't see what's to stop SAR from signing with the Spurs or Wolves for the MLE. If we're lucky he decides to go to one of these teams and get more money and help us get a sign-and-trade...

Perhaps we could get Wally from Minnesota - if we want him, or contracts and draft picks... it'll be a total crap shoot though. I don't understand the idea of showcasing someone for a S&T. It's completely up to Rahim and the team he chooses what options the Blazers will have, if any...

With Damon, it's just pointless to talk about because he's an MLE player on a good day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
e_blazer1 said:
I know you love the guy, Play, but are you having daily conversations with him about his plans for the future? ;)
You don't need to. Just listen to him.

He wants to be an integral part of a winning team.

He hasn't been an idiot with his money and has an investment company in Atlanta as well as a couple high-end housing developments outside the city. He isn't the typical idiot that spends everything they earn.

Play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Playmaker0017 said:
You are assuming that either player will agree to a S&T.

Reef wants to win more than he needs to earn a huge paycheck. With that in mind, the door opens up a lot more.

Houston.
San Antonio.
Minnesota.
Milwaukee.
New Jersey.
Seattle.
Boston.

As for Damon ... I really don't know what the market would be for an undersized PG with the propensity to fire them up there -- and someone that WON'T sit the bench well.

Play.
As far as those teams you listed, Houston has been pretty happy with Howard and does not have anything of value to return. I guess a random contract and a pick might work. San Antonio might be a perfect fit. Minnesota I think will be looking to keep Garnette as a PF and will be looking for a SF instead. Perhaps Miles. I am not sure what the situation for the Bucks is so perhaps. Nets could really use SAR, but once again all they could offer woult be a pick and a random contract. SAR would be a bad fit in Seattle IMO. The teams is built around running, and althoug SAR can run, it is not his forte, and over the course of a year I think he not work out. I would be surprised to see the sonics show much interest. Boston I think would be a great fit for SAR and I think they have several pieces we might want to pic up along with a pic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Well I don't think Damon has any S&T value...can't see any team
willing to offer more than the MLE...SAR well only about 4 teams
out there will have more than the MLE to offer. If SAR wants a big
payday maybe we could work out adeal with New Orleans.. Get
Dickau back for 2mil per 3 yr deal, and swap picks with them.
Going to a contender is a different story they would have to give
up a nice player... ala Ray Allen and once they do that they don't
contend...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Blazer Ringbearer said:
I don't see what's to stop SAR from signing with the Spurs or Wolves for the MLE. If we're lucky he decides to go to one of these teams and get more money and help us get a sign-and-trade...

Perhaps we could get Wally from Minnesota - if we want him, or contracts and draft picks... it'll be a total crap shoot though. I don't understand the idea of showcasing someone for a S&T. It's completely up to Rahim and the team he chooses what options the Blazers will have, if any...

With Damon, it's just pointless to talk about because he's an MLE player on a good day.
The only thing I want from the Twolves is Olowokandi since he only has
1 yr left plus their pick same with the spurs but take Mohammed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
thylo said:
As far as those teams you listed, Houston has been pretty happy with Howard and does not have anything of value to return. I guess a random contract and a pick might work. San Antonio might be a perfect fit. Minnesota I think will be looking to keep Garnette as a PF and will be looking for a SF instead. Perhaps Miles. I am not sure what the situation for the Bucks is so perhaps. Nets could really use SAR, but once again all they could offer woult be a pick and a random contract. SAR would be a bad fit in Seattle IMO. The teams is built around running, and althoug SAR can run, it is not his forte, and over the course of a year I think he not work out. I would be surprised to see the sonics show much interest. Boston I think would be a great fit for SAR and I think they have several pieces we might want to pic up along with a pic.
Again, I don't think Reef will necessarily do an S&T - if it means that he won't be able to control his destination.

Play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,614 Posts
IMO the chances are Very slim they will agree to any tye of S&T without some agreement they get to choose team or agree to team they are being traded too.

Otherwise they can sign for MLE for year and then get more money year after.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,264 Posts
I just can't think of a scenario where we can do a sign and trade for Damon.

he's not likely to command more than the MLE, so why not just pick him up outright without giving the Blazers anything in return?

maybe some really crummy team wants to be the next Golden State/Fisher, and throw a wad of dough at him. but are they likely to give up anything we'd want to do it? doubtful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
theWanker said:
I just can't think of a scenario where we can do a sign and trade for Damon.

he's not likely to command more than the MLE, so why not just pick him up outright without giving the Blazers anything in return?

maybe some really crummy team wants to be the next Golden State/Fisher, and throw a wad of dough at him. but are they likely to give up anything we'd want to do it? doubtful.
Teams would do a sign and trade for damon in order to keep their MLE for someone else, or to reduce payroll.

example.
Team A wants a Damon for 3 mil but they are stingy and would rather give a pick and a scrub and save adding 3 mil to the payroll.

Or Team A wants Damon and player X but can not afford both so they give MLE to Player x and sign and trade for Damon. This would be most likely for a team that is really looking to find the last couple pieces to make a major push into the postseason.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top