Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
Joined
·
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silas being fired makes him, the fourth coach who's been fired this year, the fifth who won't finish out the 2004-05 season. This move, I think, takes a lot of pressure off the shoulders of Billy King to make this decision, if not now.. then after the season. With coaches who have accomplished more than O'Brien in short stints as coaches, you have to think his removal is a responsibility.

The more I think about it, the more likely I think Jim O'Brien won't be the coach next year. Some might talk about the amount paid to coaches, but if you look at the 76ers sister franchise, the Flyers and notice how often they change coaches. While we think removing O'Brien would put Billy King in danger of losing his job, look how long Bobby Clarke has been the GM of the Flyers. Sure there's a difference, that Clarke was a member of the great Flyers teams of the 70s that Ed Snider was connected to, but it shows that he has a commitment to the GM.

If I was the Sixers, and I'm sure a lot of you are glad I'm not, I'd fire him and run out the rope with Lester Conner running the show. At least then we'd get to see what we have with him, and get rid of O'Brien sooner rather than later, which would be a positive.

Of course, we still have to hope Jimmy O' gets the boot, and not another season to work with.
 

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
Joined
·
15,460 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
Silas being fired makes him, the fourth coach who's been fired this year, the fifth who won't finish out the 2004-05 season. This move, I think, takes a lot of pressure off the shoulders of Billy King to make this decision, if not now.. then after the season. With coaches who have accomplished more than O'Brien in short stints as coaches, you have to think his removal is a responsibility.

The more I think about it, the more likely I think Jim O'Brien won't be the coach next year. Some might talk about the amount paid to coaches, but if you look at the 76ers sister franchise, the Flyers and notice how often they change coaches. While we think removing O'Brien would put Billy King in danger of losing his job, look how long Bobby Clarke has been the GM of the Flyers. Sure there's a difference, that Clarke was a member of the great Flyers teams of the 70s that Ed Snider was connected to, but it shows that he has a commitment to the GM.

If I was the Sixers, and I'm sure a lot of you are glad I'm not, I'd fire him and run out the rope with Lester Conner running the show. At least then we'd get to see what we have with him, and get rid of O'Brien sooner rather than later, which would be a positive.

Of course, we still have to hope Jimmy O' gets the boot, and not another season to work with.
We need a stud young up and coming coach for this team. Someone who will get in AI's ***
 

·
Kwisatz Haderach
Joined
·
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turkish Delight said:
I think they should wait until the season is over.
It'll be too difficult to make any sort of run in the playoffs with a new coach.
I think if a change is made before the season's over, it's not to make a playoff push.. it's to get a look at whether or not O'Brien is the problem here. We all have a feeling he is, but sacking him now would provide a concrete answer one way or another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
AI needs a coach that can be a father figure. Ever since LB left, he's been like a rebelling teenager.

just got fined $10k for the ref incident+crap last season..iffy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
RoyWilliams said:
Id say after the season he is gone.
Why wait??
Can him now and we'll see some excitement out of this bunch. Then maybe players like Willie Green and Matt Barnes will get some playing time instead of Josh Davis and John Salmons. I think it's a little late to come together to play any team defense, so whoever's the coach can just let them run and we'll take our chances in the playoffs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,278 Posts
SixersFan said:
AI needs a coach that can be a father figure. Ever since LB left, he's been like a rebelling teenager.

just got fined $10k for the ref incident+crap last season..iffy.
Any suggestions for that father figure coach?
 

·
Kwisatz Haderach
Joined
·
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SixersFan said:
AI needs a coach that can be a father figure. Ever since LB left, he's been like a rebelling teenager.
Instead of a father figure, I think he needs a coach he respects and would be willing and able to take their criticism. I don't think Iverson's problems are as much off the court as they were a few years ago, he's matured a great deal and is ready to be a leader, he just needs someone to work with him on the court. Someone who was an accomplished PG would be great for this team. Who that is? I'm not sure, I'd really have to think.

The only reason I support O'Brien being removed before the end of the season, is if we make the playoffs we might face the scenario where we are forced to see what O'Brien can do with this team for a full season. Though also, we'd be in a situation with the next coach that for better or worse the team would need to stick with the new coach for a few years. That being said, the next coaching search needs to be more thorough than Billy King's first two.

Before he hired Randy Ayers, he called around reaching for the stars before finding out that the Sixers weren't capable of drawing these people in. He called Tubby Smith, he called Coach K, then he went down the line to Jeff Van Gundy, then down further to Eddie Jordan and the only guy he actually interviewed was Jordan. They went their seperate ways, I'm pretty sure it was because the team didn't want to spend too much money on a coach, so they had two options left. They were Ayers, and Mike Woodson who were the assistants of Larry Brown. These two were interviewed and they went with Ayers over Woodson.

We all know the story of this past offseason, Ayers was fired during last season, Chris Ford was hired as interim promised a job with the team wasn't kept as coach, Jim O'Brien was free.. the Sixers snapped him up.

This year, there should be a good amount of coaches out there, and the Sixers should look them over and take their time instead of rushing into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,278 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
Instead of a father figure, I think he needs a coach he respects and would be willing and able to take their criticism. I don't think Iverson's problems are as much off the court as they were a few years ago, he's matured a great deal and is ready to be a leader, he just needs someone to work with him on the court. Someone who was an accomplished PG would be great for this team. Who that is? I'm not sure, I'd really have to think.

The only reason I support O'Brien being removed before the end of the season, is if we make the playoffs we might face the scenario where we are forced to see what O'Brien can do with this team for a full season. Though also, we'd be in a situation with the next coach that for better or worse the team would need to stick with the new coach for a few years. That being said, the next coaching search needs to be more thorough than Billy King's first two.

Before he hired Randy Ayers, he called around reaching for the stars before finding out that the Sixers weren't capable of drawing these people in. He called Tubby Smith, he called Coach K, then he went down the line to Jeff Van Gundy, then down further to Eddie Jordan and the only guy he actually interviewed was Jordan. They went their seperate ways, I'm pretty sure it was because the team didn't want to spend too much money on a coach, so they had two options left. They were Ayers, and Mike Woodson who were the assistants of Larry Brown. These two were interviewed and they went with Ayers over Woodson.

We all know the story of this past offseason, Ayers was fired during last season, Chris Ford was hired as interim promised a job with the team wasn't kept as coach, Jim O'Brien was free.. the Sixers snapped him up.

This year, there should be a good amount of coaches out there, and the Sixers should look them over and take their time instead of rushing into it.

Just what I was thinking. A man that Iverson respects and is willing to listen to is exactly what the Sixers need. It's too bad that such a coach is extremely hard to find and the ones that we know of are taken.
 

·
Kwisatz Haderach
Joined
·
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kunlun said:
Why would Iverson respect that man?
Kenny Smith is extremely respectable, carries himself well, knows the game, played the point well. And his big game experience makes it easier for players to listen, because he knows what it takes to win. I don't think you'd have to get Iverson to respect him, because I see no reason for him not to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
I've always respected and thought highly of Kenny the Jet, I'm sure he'd get along with Iverson. Though I'd like to see a coach with some actual experience, but I would be interested with what Kenny would do with Philly.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top