Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested in summer league games Orlando beat indiana. Why am i posting this here? Dickey simpkens played 28 minutes. 3 rebounds, i assist. 2 steals two points. He did keep hunter away from the boards. Norm Richardson played 14 minutes 5 points

On a side note, Fred Jones their first round pick had 6 t/o in 32 minutes. 11 points.

Griffith 18 minutes 3 rebounds. 4 t/o and no points and 4 t/o
Hunter just one board and two points in 18 minutes.

http://www.proexposure.com/stories/0708p.cfm

·
Turned Thabo Fanatic
751 Posts
If Griffith and Hunter can't do any better than that against Brezec and Simpkins, then Orlando better be doing something to get some post help (perhaps supporting a Fizer for Miller deal). Especially with Grant or Ewing battling the effects of old age. It absolutely floors me that they dealt away Haywood last year and then Borchardt this year.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Brendan Haywood was definitly the kicker for Magic fans

why did so many people underrate him? he had a solid career at North Carolina, has legit NBA center size and skills

the only knock on him was a percieved lack of intensity -- one he hasn't seemed to display at all in Washington.

Magic cry themselves a river that they aint got no big men... but they can only blame themselves for that

must be some sort of issue with committment after Shaq broke their heart:laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I followed UNC during Haywood's career and could see where the criticism of him came from. He never dominated when it seemed he could so easily do so if he was motivated.

However, that being said, he has shown great motivation of the Wizards. A lot of it has to do with the fact that he is getting paid as a 20th pick instead of a lottery pick. He has already started playing for his next contract. He also lost weight moving from college to the pros which helped his game. If he can overcome what may be a chronic knee problem, and battle complacency then he can be good.

The Magic were fools to trade size two years in a row especially when that is what they need the most. Haywood and Borchardt were relatively cheap size. For Borchadt they gained almost nothing salary-wise and for Haywood the future pick is almost guaranteed to suck with the conditions placed on it. I don't feel bad for them at all.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Originally posted by BCH

The Magic were fools to trade size two years in a row especially when that is what they need the most. Haywood and Borchardt were relatively cheap size. For Borchadt they gained almost nothing salary-wise and for Haywood the future pick is almost guaranteed to suck with the conditions placed on it. I don't feel bad for them at all.
Haywood lasted till the 20th pick. Even if Orlando ends up getting a mid-late first rounder how do we know it doesn't turn out to be a better center than Haywood, or a Micheal Finley, Latrell Sprewell type player picked in the 20's. Until that pick is actually made it's not really fair to judge the trade since we have no one to compare Haywood to.

As for Borchart, the Magic obviously felt Ryan Humphrey will become a much better player than him, and hopefully gives them that Bo Outlaw / Ben Wallace type they've been missing. Also included in that trade was Jamal Sampson, whom I believe was immediately traded to Milwaukee for 7'0 280 plus lbs. Rashard Griffith.

So it's basically Borchart for Griffith AND Humphrey. What happens if Griffith proves to be better than Borchart. They end up with two players who are both better than Curtis anyway.

And we all know Orlando's moves are part of John Gabriel's master plan to land Tim Duncan. Look at all the guys he gave away recently in order to woo the top FA's...

Ben Wallace
Brendan Haywood
Bo Outlaw
Corey Maggette
Courtney Alexander
Chucky Atkins
Keyon Dooling

Outlaw was a hard-worker loved by his teammates and coaches. Gabriel gave him the boot for a 2nd rounder and Jud Buechler I think. We'll see what Orlando does with all that cap space in 2003.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I would love to see Orlando get stiffed, much like what happened to us.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Orlando has LOCATION, LOCATION and oh yeah, Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill (if healthy).

:devil:

Oh well, it's one reason I don't mind picking up a max player like Lewis. Next year, there will be many teams vying for the big names.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I fail to see how why they kept Hunter over Haywood. Haywood has shown he is a better player so far and his cap hit would have been less.

Sounds like a flaw in the master plan.

I also gave the Magic a small chance of getting someone in the 20s by saying the pick was almost guaranteed to suck. They still have some wiggle room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts