Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like TheyCallMeMattMo called it pretty close. One website in its preliminary 2005 Mock Draft, places UVM's Taylor Coppenrath as pick #53 (Second Round).

www.angeltowns.com/members/nbadraft/2005mockdraft.htm

Also, very interesting article in NBADraft.net on the 2004 Under-21 Tourney of The Americas. Lots of accolades for Northeastern's José Juan Barea. Seems like he flatly outplayed Wake Forest's PG Chris Paul.

http://nbadraft.net/2004toa001.asp

I wonder what you think...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
From that wesite:
"Jose Juan Barea of Puerto Rico, who will be a sophomore at Northeastern University was a high energy player. Good shooter and leader as well, and has a fiestiness that sparked some rough stuff after the whistle with Argentina and Venezuela. Was the tourney's leading scorer at 24.8 points per game, and was second behind only Chris Paul in assists per game at 7.2"

No way, not JJB with rough stuff after the whistle in 2 different games.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheVelezes</b>!
Seems like TheyCallMeMattMo called it pretty close. One website in its preliminary 2005 Mock Draft, places UVM's Taylor Coppenrath as pick #53 (Second Round).

www.angeltowns.com/members/nbadraft/2005mockdraft.htm
:D :yes:

Actually, this is a pretty interesting story. I had seen a while back that this site had Coppenrath at like #57 or something in there mock draft for 2005. Then after his 43 point game in the AE Championship and after the tourney apperance, his name was gone completely. So I emailed them about it and didn't get a response. So I posted on their message board about what people thought (of course some clever one thought it would be funny to call him a 'fat stoner' and that he has 'seen him plays lots of times'. This guy probably lives in New Mexico or something and has never seen him play) Well the guy who runs it saw the post we talked about Coppenrath for a bit. Everytime Coppenrath got some kind of honor or accomplishment, I posted it there and lo and behold the site put him back on (moved him up some spots too, when he was back on he was at 55 I think)and they said they should do a full scouting report on him this season. So basically, they put him on there because of my efforts.

But I do still stand by my assesment, and that was before I stumbled on this site.

All they have on his profile is player comparisons, which are fairly accurate.
http://www.angeltowns.com/members/nbadraft/taylorcoppenrath.htm

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, quite interesting! Once TC signs a pro contract, you deserve a tiny percentage for giving him added exposure. ;)

I wonder... where is José Juan Barea in future Mock Drafts? His international game has been quite a story for Northeastern and the America East. Late Second Round? Free Agent? If you read the NBADraft.net report, he looked as gutsy as Team USA's Chris Paul, and many analysts consider him a First Rounder.

I personally believe Barea's pro future is in Europe (particularly the Spanish League). But again, the same was said about Carlitos Arroyo, and he's the starting PG for the Utah Jazz.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I heard somewhere, could have been on this board, that Milwalkee really liked what they saw in JJB.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, scouts from the Milwaukee Bucks and Rick Adubato (from the Memphis Grizzlies) were in Halifax and liked what they saw in J.J. Barea.

However, we have to see if these teams are brave enough to burn a draft pick in him. More likely they will extend invitations to him to try out as a free agent.

This coming season will be Barea's last, so I expect him to post very good numbers in the America East. If only Northeastern could win a few big games...

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Wait & Watch

Talk is sometimes cheap!!!

A 6'10" Coppenrath I believe would be much more appealing then drafting a 5'10"pg.

Maybe they'll both go. That would be great for them and the AE!

Let's see which NBA team will pull the trigger and pick JJB in the Draft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts