Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NBA Inside Stuff just did a segment with Steve Nash about what HE thinks makes a GREAT point guard. Some fairly obvious stuff, nothing earth-shattering. But it got me to thinking.

How does this apply to the Bulls? How do our PG's fare? Draw your own conclusions:

(quotes are Nash's - I didn't get them all as i was madly scribbling on a post-it!)

1) COURT VISION

2) UNSELFISHNESS - "the ability to make others better"

3) TOUGHNESS - "you need to be the physical leader, give up your body, that's how your teammates will respect you"

4) TOUCH - "shoot with brains"

5) QUICKNESS

6) LEADERSHIP - "you have to be able to organize the floor"

just something to pass the time until the game. oh and IMO, kirk has 5/5, jamal has 2.5/5 and brunson is a woeful 1/5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!
NBA Inside Stuff just did a segment with Steve Nash about what HE thinks makes a GREAT point guard. Some fairly obvious stuff, nothing earth-shattering. But it got me to thinking.

How does this apply to the Bulls? How do our PG's fare? Draw your own conclusions:

(quotes are Nash's - I didn't get them all as i was madly scribbling on a post-it!)

1) COURT VISION

2) UNSELFISHNESS - "the ability to make others better"

3) TOUGHNESS - "you need to be the physical leader, give up your body, that's how your teammates will respect you"

4) TOUCH - "shoot with brains"

5) QUICKNESS

6) LEADERSHIP - "you have to be able to organize the floor"

just something to pass the time until the game. oh and IMO, kirk has 5/5, jamal has 2.5/5 and brunson is a woeful 1/5.
1) COURT VISION : No, No, No
2) UNSELFISHNESS: No, No, No
3) TOUGHNESS: Yes, No, No
4) TOUCH: Yes, No, No
5) QUICKNESS: Yes, Yes, No
6) LEADERSHIP: Yes, No, Yes

Kirk (4), Jamal (1), Rick (1)

As much as I like these guys, and while I think Kirk and Jamal have the potential to answer "Yes" to more of these questions than they currently do, I also think they aren't there year. None of these guys have what I'd consider the ideal court vision to find open teammates and holes in defenses like a true PG. I think Kirk and Jamal have both shown improvement in this area though.

Also, if unselfishness is going to be defined as "making teammates better", you need look no further than Eddy Curry to see how not good at this our distributers are. That's not to lay all of Eddy's woes at their feet, but big men almost by definition have to rely on someone to get them the ball. And even in Eddy's better outings, there are long stretches where this is a struggle. It's just not something that young PGs can come in and be automatically good at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
oops. there were six weren't there. i can't count. sorry. and in my own thread too.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

so i will revise my tally.

Kirk: 5/6
Jamal 3/6 (he has tried to be tougher lately)
Brunson 1/6

i think kirk has pretty decent court vision actually.

but thanks mikeDC for anwering the call.
nothing worse than posting a thread then to have to watch it sloooowwwlly make it's way down the page!
 

·
X-Mas Taker
Joined
·
8,947 Posts
kirk 5/6
JC 5/6
ricky brunson 3/6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, to be fair, here is who i think has what.
(based on the "Nash" criteria set forth above)


1) COURT VISION : Kirk, Jamal
2) UNSELFISHNESS: none of them - yet
3) TOUGHNESS: Kirk, 1/2 jamal
4) TOUCH: Kirk
5) QUICKNESS: Kirk, Jamal
6) LEADERSHIP: Kirk, Brunson, 1/2 jamal

so my tally remains:

Kirk 5/6
Jamal 3/6
Brunson 1/6

ok.
 

·
X-Mas Taker
Joined
·
8,947 Posts
i kind of saw it differently with JC having all 6 sans toughness

and kirk getting all but court vision which i took to mean playmaking as well

brunson getting leadership,unselfishness and toughness and thats it

but seeing as i tend to give more points than anyone else on avg. to the 3 pg's i guess i'm an easy grader
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>happygrinch</b>!
i kind of saw it differently with JC having all 6 sans toughness

and kirk getting all but court vision which i took to mean playmaking as well

brunson getting leadership,unselfishness and toughness and thats it

but seeing as i tend to give more points than anyone else on avg. to the 3 pg's i guess i'm an easy grader
hey that's cool! and at the end of the day whatever happens i think this shows how we really need a TRUE backup for JAMAL and KIRK and this feature on NBA Inside Stuff really drove it home for me. 5/6 or 4/6 doesn't matter when the third guy scores like a 1/6 or 2/6. right?
:yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>TripleDouble</b>!
no surprise that Nash didn't mention... DEFENSE!!!
well i was scribbling madly and i think he may have when talking about toughness and the willingness to take charges.

i was just using it as a template for our guys.
there are many other things...these are just six that the show featured.
 

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
Joined
·
17,071 Posts
Hinrich- 3.5/6
Crawford-3/6
Brunson- 1/6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Marcus13</b>!
Hinrich- 3.5/6
Crawford-3/6
Brunson- 1/6
Barbosa - 2/6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,925 Posts
Kirks got 5/6, Jamals got 3/6

Thats probably because Kirk is a better point guard than JC. JC still remains the more talented player though. He just has a scoring mentality which is better suited for a shooting guard, but he has handles of a point.

Defense, and handle should be added. They are obviously very important.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
I'll do it a bit differently

All scores rated on a scale of 1 (horrible) to 10 (excellent).

Hinrich
Court vision -- 7
Unselfishness -- 8
Toughness -- 10
Touch -- 8
Quickness -- 8
Leadership -- 6
Defense -- 9
Handle -- 7
Total: 63

Crawford
Court vision -- 8
Unselfishness -- 7
Toughness -- 6
Touch -- 4
Quickness -- 8
Leadership -- 6
Defense -- 7 (yes, a 7....he's been playing very good D for a while now)
Handle -- 10
Total: 56

Brunson
Court vision -- 7
Unselfishness -- 8
Toughness -- 6
Touch -- 6
Quickness -- 5
Leadership -- 4
Defense -- 4
Handle -- 7
Total: 47
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
Kidd
Court vision -- 10
Unselfishness -- 10
Toughness -- 9
Touch -- 8
Quickness -- 7
Leadership -- 9
Defense -- 7 (was a 10 in his prime)
Handle -- 10
Total: 70

Nash
Court vision -- 8
Unselfishness -- 8
Toughness -- 8
Touch -- 7
Quickness -- 8
Leadership -- 8
Defense -- 5
Handle -- 8
Total: 60

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey, he said he was a scientist, so back off!! :laugh:

i think your scores are right on. thanks for playing. and thanks for the extra credit assignment. i will give you stars in your little rating thingy there on the side.

:laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh, and vince, when you look at your rating for hinrich and think, wow, this is only going to IMPROVE ala Kidd it's SUCH gratification for those of us who were fans of his game before he became a bull. i swear he the only reason i have not outright cancelled my league pass.

go bulls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,045 Posts
Now you see why us Kansas fans were spoiled the last four years, and why we were a little peeved that Hinrich's initial reception in Chicago was far from unanimously cheery.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top