Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the sixers put Eric Snow on the trading block, that sent a message they want a new point guard. I think they will continue to lose and either end up a top 7 pick. With ths pick I think they should first go after 1)Livingston(if he is available, great talent and can work him into the system with Iverson very easily); 2) Raymond Felton(will probably ove setting up AI); 3) Jameer Nelson (Philly product); 4) Ben Gordon(can put uppoints to help AI); 5)Pavel(him and Dalembert will work well) or 6)Humprhies or Aldridge(will take a gamble on a big man for once)

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Lakota_Blazer</b>!
Philly will have a mid-to-lower 1st round pick, they have NO shot at either Livingston, Felton, Pavel.
how do you figure that? The Sixers are not going to make the playoffs and will most likely have a lottery pick unless they greatly improve their play. Do they owe a first round pick to anyone? Unless they do they will be picking atleast in the top ten in the draft.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the draft would start today and be based on the team's record we would get the number 7 pick. Come on Lakota, bone up on the basketball knowledge before you reply.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
yeah but 7th doesnt include any teams that could possibly jump into the lottery over them either(without any teams jumping in they would be 8th right now). I also think philly will improve/even out their record while some younger teams will fade during the stretch and fall below them.

and if you are talking names like livingston and pavel they are gonna have to fall alot....

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Ok, say they get the 8th pick, who would you take?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with the 8th pick I say get Felton or Nelson. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Point Gaurd Options for Philly W/8th pick
1. Jameer Nelson
2. Sebastian Telfair
3. Raymond Felton

**Shaun Livingston #1 if he is still there (not likely).**

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
i think livingston is the clear choice here, his height and the ability to play the point on offense, guard the 2 on D makes him the perfect fit to match up with AI.

anyone thinking that chosing telfair while keeping AI in town is an option is out of there mind. Im as big of a fan of small ball as anyone but having 2 sub 6ft players jsut would not work in todays league. (this even applies to nelson in a less dramatic effect)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Charlotte_______</b>!
Ok, say they get the 8th pick, who would you take?
to any team that was out of the top tier of players (i think 5 to 6 in this draft) i would say they need to be recruiting that chiarev kid from t-dot real hard

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Re: ...

I dont understand why you guys feel the Sixers need a PG. The only option for them to take would be Livingston. Outside of that whats the point? AI will be a SG for 1 more year tops. Hes playing more and more at the PG spot everyday. No need to draft a point guard unless its Livingston and they are in that spot

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AI may bring the ball up court, but so did Kobe last year and he is a SG. AI will always be a SG, even though intiating the offense and bring the ball up court maybe included with the job. Plus I think it would be better having Livingston or Felton intiate the offense so AI could run through those screens and get a good look. A PG is needed badly and Eric Snow is not the answer.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
That would be cool to see Jameer be able to play in Philly. He and AI would be a dynamic backcourt; short, but dynamic :D

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
A backcourt of Livingston and AI would like nice to me. It seems like they both would compliment each other with their sizes. I can see the Sixers picking him up, but that's a really SKINNY backcourt though. How's the inside presence for the Sixers? I know Dalembert is having a pretty good year, Thomas is pretty decent, and Coleman is out. Is another inside player needed? That might be needed..

·
Registered
530 Posts
Livingston would be the only option at PG for Philly. At 6-7 he would perfectly compliment A.I.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>THA DOCTA</b>!
AI may bring the ball up court, but so did Kobe last year and he is a SG. AI will always be a SG, even though intiating the offense and bring the ball up court maybe included with the job. Plus I think it would be better having Livingston or Felton intiate the offense so AI could run through those screens and get a good look. A PG is needed badly and Eric Snow is not the answer.
AI will not always be a sg. He will not be able to physically play the 2 too many more years. Him becoming and or transforming into a PG over the next few years will prolong his career. Also the difference between Ai and Kobe is that kobe is 7 inches taller and 60 pds heavier. Hes a SG, he doesnt have the physical disadvantage that AI has

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AI will not always be a sg. He will not be able to physically play the 2 too many more years. Him becoming and or transforming into a PG over the next few years will prolong his career. Also the difference between Ai and Kobe is that kobe is 7 inches taller and 60 pds heavier. Hes a SG, he doesnt have the physical disadvantage that AI has
Height is only a small factor in point guards. Magic=6'9'', Alvin Williams=6'5'', Marko Jaric= 6'7''. The most essential assests of being a point guard is ball handling, ability to create and court vision. Kobe, AI, Jordan and even LeBron have all these capabilties, but you know why they all aren't listed as point guards, becuase of there ability to score and get good looks without the ball in their hands. In the future AI may have almost all the duties of a point guard, but he will never be one. Have you seen a Sixers' game and how AI run through all those screens to get open? Well that is because he is a sg and thats his job, yeah he make take a beating while doing it but thats part of the job. There will always be someone in the backcourt with AI to deliver him the ball when he's open and through all those screens. AI may have came into the league as a pg, but like Jordan he's a natural sg.

A backcourt of Livingston and AI would like nice to me. It seems like they both would compliment each other with their sizes. I can see the Sixers picking him up, but that's a really SKINNY backcourt though. How's the inside presence for the Sixers? I know Dalembert is having a pretty good year, Thomas is pretty decent, and Coleman is out. Is another inside player needed? That might be needed..
If the sixers draft Livingston they will be set for the next 7 years. And weight might matter in AI's case, but Livingston wont have to worry about getting beat up, but yes he does need to gain weight. Something like 220 or 210 would be ideal. The inside presenceis ok for now. Dalembert is young therefore he will grow as a player and get better. I dont see Kenny Thomas or Coleman as the answer at pf, but this is the East we're talking about so it is ok. Like most teams in the east I think the Sixers need to get a good backcourt then slowly develop their bigs. If Dalembert continue to play the way he is playing I see him becoming a poorman's Ben Wallace. I'm a Sixers fan, but I hope they continue to lose, becuase we need help and the draft is the only option.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>THA DOCTA</b>!

Height is only a small factor in point guards. Magic=6'9'', Alvin Williams=6'5'', Marko Jaric= 6'7''. The most essential assests of being a point guard is ball handling, ability to create and court vision. Kobe, AI, Jordan and even LeBron have all these capabilties, but you know why they all aren't listed as point guards, becuase of there ability to score and get good looks without the ball in their hands. In the future AI may have almost all the duties of a point guard, but he will never be one. Have you seen a Sixers' game and how AI run through all those screens to get open? Well that is because he is a sg and thats his job, yeah he make take a beating while doing it but thats part of the job. There will always be someone in the backcourt with AI to deliver him the ball when he's open and through all those screens. AI may have came into the league as a pg, but like Jordan he's a natural sg.
Your are right on in some of your assesments but I dont think you really understand. I'm not talking height at the PG position. I'm talking height at the SG position. I can see you like AI but you watch from afar by that I mean, Yes I watch the Sixers play. I live in Philadelphia, I have been here through his ups and downs. You know what been able to make him effective as a SG. Its his speed. That seperated him from everyone else at the SG spot so that it created matcup problems offensively. With him have taken the beating he has his entire career. Anyone in they're right mind that sees the AI of right now, knows hes not as fast as he once was. Its clearly evident. That being said. The players that are coming in are bigger just as fast as he is/was. He wont be able to exploit his speed because players are going to and are able to keep up with him. That is where his progression into a PG comes to play. He will prolong his career by playing the PG spot because he wont get beat up and on as much and as far as the running through screens thing. I feverently doubt that any Sixers fan wants to see Allen Iverson the jumpshooter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts