Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wrong About Everything
13,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iguodala had 10 points, seven rebounds and four assists against the Bulls, but he was able to launch 15 shots; he was better Monday, with 19 points, six rebounds and six assists, shooting 7-for-13, including draining three of six three-pointers.

That's what can happen when not just your coach, but your team leader prods you.

"I talked to him [before Monday's game] and asked him why some games he's not aggressive and some games he is," Iverson said. "He gave me an excuse; I don't buy it. I told him that's what we need him to do. He came out and did it [11 points] in the third quarter, but we need him to do it in the first, second, third and fourth. Once he does that, gets his confidence going, it energizes him even more on defense."

(NBA axiom: If a guy is playing as hard as he can and helping defensively, at least occasionally reward him at the other end of the floor.)

"The first half, I was thinking a little bit too much," Iguodala said. "I'd be wide open and I was passing up shots, and we were down; I had to do something about that. [Iverson] was asking me why I was so up and down about being aggressive; it's a little bit of me, and sometimes the coaches want me to defend [and] I'm thinking that means 'Don't shoot the ball.'

"But I'm starting to get a better feel of things, trying to be consistent. I've just got to attack when I'm in the game, look for more opportunities. There are a few things that were just holding me back. I'm just trying to keep my head clear from that, just keep playing and keep attacking."

Four Sixers had at least 19 points against the Wizards, more than offsetting the two-man show of Antawn Jamison (37) and Gilbert Arenas (32). Iguodala understands the value of balanced scoring as much as anyone. He also has a grasp of the negativity that losing can breed, but he was blissfully unaware of coach Maurice Cheeks' emotional meltdown after Friday night's loss to the Boston Celtics.

"I really don't watch the news at all," he said. "I think he does a good job of just staying positive with us, just letting us know the situation, staying with the game plan, not being too negative as far as 'Season's over.' He's still saying 'We've got a chance,' still fighting, still fighting, never any quit."

As for Iverson's prodding...

"You've got to be able to take criticism," Iguodala said. "He's been in the league for 10 years. If he has something to say, he's not the type that's just going to scream at the whole team or get on guys like that. If he really gets on you, it must be true. I just took his words the right way. I wasn't playing like I should be, so I just have to step up my game."

The scenario is there for him. There's not a lot of time left.
LINK

·
Registered
768 Posts
The thing about Iggy is that if he isn't dunking or spotting up for a 3, then he is non-existent. Whatever happened to a mid-range game? Or taking people off the dribble? I don't know what he was working on last summer but I didn't see a whole lot of progress. With that being said, I just want to add that I love Iggy's defense, keep it up big fella.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,426 Posts
The thing is hes clearly shown he can take his man of the dribble and I just dont know why he doesnt. I mean yes he passes and gets others invovled but hes needs to more aggressive on the offensive end

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,426 Posts
hmm, I dont know what games you have watched this season but that hasnt been a problem, Im at every home game a few rows up mid court and havent seen him have a problem doing it, when he DOES IT

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well whether he can go off the dribble or not is kind of irrelevant b/c the opposition will start playing him for that and leave him the jumper knowing that he doesn't have the confidence or skill to make that shot. The one opens up the option for the other and vice versa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.