Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the biggest hole in the Sixers lineup is the small forward. We don't have a starting quality small forward on our lineup and it hurts us. Kyle Korver is good at shooting and sometimes he has big games, but most of the time he is inconsistant and a liability on defense (although that has improved imensely the past year). John Salmons is just inconsistant as ever and Matt Barnes isn't given a chance to play at all even though he deserves a chance to. What are some small forwards that you think could help our team next season and how could we get them?

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How about James Posey? He was so good for the Grizzlies last season, I don't know what happened to him this year (injuries perhaps?). But, he's 6'8, athletic, can shoot and plays hard nosed defense. Would Memphis be willing to give him up for Mashburn's expiring contract? They don't seem to use him much anymore and most teams wouldn't mind saving a few milion either.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
I'm pretty sure Posey signed a long term contract, I think he's been injured (not sure) and it'd probably take more than Mashburn's contract to land him. The problem the team has right now is Korver, Salmons and even Barnes (who'll be a King next year) is that they're all best suited to be one of the first guys off the bench. Kyle's inconsistency is mostly due to his being overworked.

What's frustrating right now is, while I love the fact the Sixers are going to make the playoffs we could've really used a pick in the first round this year to fill that hole at SF.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PhillyPhanatic said:
What's frustrating right now is, while I love the fact the Sixers are going to make the playoffs we could've really used a pick in the first round this year to fill that hole at SF.
Since we don't have a draft position do you have any ideas on who we can trade for and would be a good fit to start here?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, this has got to be our biggest hole. I personally thing we need a scorer there. Of course, you also want someone who can play defense, but you want a scorer in that position. Either a scorer or another Igoudala wouldn't hurt, but obviously there is only one Igoudala. Someone who can play defense...and score around 17 a game. Someone who has an all around game...hmmm...

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MVPlaya said:
Yes, this has got to be our biggest hole. I personally thing we need a scorer there. Of course, you also want someone who can play defense, but you want a scorer in that position. Either a scorer or another Igoudala wouldn't hurt, but obviously there is only one Igoudala. Someone who can play defense...and score around 17 a game. Someone who has an all around game...hmmm...
I don't think we need a scorer there at all. We have two big time scorers in Iverson and Webber already. The last thing we need is another player who needs shots. We just need a tall (around 6'8) athletic player who can defend on the ball and move up and down the floor quickly. It would be nice if he could hit the open jump shot too. And James Posey fits all of those descriptions, I think he would fit this team perfectly.

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
Woa, hold on a minute. They've already got Jamal Mashburn. If he can just start and play 20-25 min. they'll be fine, as long as they keep kover and dalembert.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sliccat said:
Woa, hold on a minute. They've already got Jamal Mashburn. If he can just start and play 20-25 min. they'll be fine, as long as they keep kover and dalembert.
I hate to break this to you, but Jamal's career is over. The only reason he can be traded around is because he has a guaranteed contract. His knees are finished and he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life on crutches or a wheelchair so he's giving it up.

If that ******* Glenn Robinson hadn't been such a little ***** about starting then we wouldn't have this situation.

·
Premium Member
12,113 Posts
sliccat said:
Yeah like the poster above said Mash is done, all he is is an expiring contract would could attract what we need.

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
I don't get it. If his career is over, why did they trade for him? His contract is a year longer than Robinson's. Even if he retires, they still have to pay more money for him than they did Robinson. Besides, Robinson, would have had no choice but to play if they had just kept him, and then they could have done just what I described Mash doing with Robinson. I hope they didn't do all that just to get Rodgers.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sliccat said:
I don't get it. If his career is over, why did they trade for him? His contract is a year longer than Robinson's. Even if he retires, they still have to pay more money for him than they did Robinson. Besides, Robinson, would have had no choice but to play if they had just kept him, and then they could have done just what I described Mash doing with Robinson. I hope they didn't do all that just to get Rodgers.
We wanted Rodney Rogers. O'Brien loves that guy.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
sliccat said:
His contract comes off the books next March, since by that time he wouldn't have played a game in two years due to injury. Also the Sixers only have to pay him 20% of the contract while the other 80% is picked up by insurance.

Those two factors could make Mashburn valuable trade bait to some teams, much like Terrell Brandon a few years ago. So basically what King did in the Big Dog trade was extend the time table he has for trading an expiring deal from late February to next March. If he can get something for Mash, trading Big Dog would've turned out to be a great move.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Kunlun said:
I don't think we need a scorer there at all. We have two big time scorers in Iverson and Webber already. The last thing we need is another player who needs shots. We just need a tall (around 6'8) athletic player who can defend on the ball and move up and down the floor quickly. It would be nice if he could hit the open jump shot too. And James Posey fits all of those descriptions, I think he would fit this team perfectly.
I'm tellin you what we need to increase our Play-off hopes, and play. When I'm tellin you we need a scorer, I'm sayin around 17 points a game. Someone who has the skill to hit that open shot, and in pressure situations, create and make that open shot. Yeah but the most important thing is, you want an athletic player who can defend the mall. Rebound, and dish that open pass. You want an all around player here, since we don't really have a player like that on our team as of now. Iverson and Webber are the closest things too it, it's just Iverson doesn't rebound like a Jason Kidd. He doesn't need to with all his dimes he dishes and his points he puts up. As for Webber, he has the ability to do it all.

Oh yeah and someone around 6'8 6'9 would be good. ATHLETIC.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think that Korver can develop into a very good player but at the same time I think you guys could use another athlete at the SF spot. Obviously you wont get another Iggy but someone like that with a little more offense and a little less defense would be pretty sweet for you guys.

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
If we get anybody, he'd have to be able to shoot, defend, run the break and play both positions. Either be the 6th man or turn Korver into one.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Josh Howard is another player that would fit that role well, but I doubt Dallas is willing to part with him for anything we got.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MVPlaya said:
He is a player but not somethin we can look for. I think we just needa draft smart this year...hopefully we can get another player to come in effect just like Igoudala...
The problem is, we don't have a draft pick this year. So we either have to pick up an undrafted player like we did with Josh Davis or we trade for one.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Hey, good discussion post. But it's a really hard question to answer since we don't know what will happen to Green and others in the off season.

Anyway, I would love for us to pick up someone like Bruce Bowen from the Spurs but don't know what his contract status is? He's a tough defender and can hit the 3.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alleninsf said:
Hey, good discussion post. But it's a really hard question to answer since we don't know what will happen to Green and others in the off season.

Anyway, I would love for us to pick up someone like Bruce Bowen from the Spurs but don't know what his contract status is? He's a tough defender and can hit the 3.
Yeah, I thought about him too. We used to have him too, but we didn't like him and shipped him off to the Heat or cut him, I can't remember. Strange too because we had him during the Larry Brown era, you would think Larry Brown likes tough hard nosed defenders like him.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts