Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
between (A) St. Joe's winning the NIT and Villanova winning the NCAA tournament this year and (B) both teams being eliminated in the next round of their respective tournaments, which would you pick?

Please don't fight the premise of the question. I'm sure you consider Villanova winning the national championship to be inconceivable, but I'm curious as to which is more important to you: St. Joe's winning the NIT or Villanova not winning the NCAA tournament.

· Registered
119 Posts
I'm not representative of most St. Joe's fans (or at least those that frequent the St. Joe's message board). I would certainly pick both teams winning their respective tournaments. I actually root for the other Big Five teams when they are not playing St. Joe's.

My sense is, though, that perhaps 80% of Hawk fans on the St. Joe's message board would rather cut off their own legs than have Villanova win the national title.

· Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm in the cutting off both legs off camp.

However, Arizona left me neutral yesterday. I wanted both to lose. At the same time, I am glad Ray's eye problem wasn't serious and wish Jason Fraser had an injury free career. I just want them to lose all their games.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
It's a tough call with Wright being difficult to hate as previous regimes. Seems to make a good impression, the players for the most part, too. The fans, well that's a separate issue. Let the chips fall where they may. I do remember another day in what seems like "a galaxy a long time ago" where we were all Big 5 fans.

· Registered
177 Posts
I'd like to see the Hawks get that NIT Championship just to be able to check it off their list as an accomplishment. They were in the championship game in 1996 and 2005. It would be nice to finally win one.

I agree with clark. Jay is hard to hate. He allowed a 50/50 split and moved this year's game (their home game) to the Palestra. I have to give him points for that.

· Registered
302 Posts
Hawks are a lock to get to the NIT Final 4, and close to a lock to make it to the final. Whether they can win it all depends on who makes it out of the other side of the bracket.

Nova will not make it to the Final 4. Elite 8 is the best they'll do, and maybe not even that.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
LaSalleFan said:
Hawks are a lock to get to the NIT Final 4, and close to a lock to make it to the final. Whether they can win it all depends on who makes it out of the other side of the bracket.

Nova will not make it to the Final 4. Elite 8 is the best they'll do, and maybe not even that.
Disagree on all counts here. Hofstra can beat us even if the Hawks play well. They are a good team. In addition I think Nova is now final four bound. I think they just played their toughest opponent until Indy.

· Registered
302 Posts
I saw Hofstra play La Salle at Gola in late December. They are good, but not that good. We were up by 8 with 3 minutes left and absolutely gave the game to them. That game cost La Salle an NIT bid more than any other. Their 3 guards are good, particularly Stokes and Agudio, but Hawks defense will wear them down. Hawks by 8-10 pts. Book it.

Nova could make the Final 4, but I just don't see them getting by UConn. They're a bad matchup for them. They beat them in Philly, but were blown out at UConn. They might even lose to BC.

· Premium Member
3,613 Posts
LaSalleFan said:

Good call LaSalleFan. I have nothing against my future brethren in Villanova. In fact the only way I can win the office pool is if they win the whole thing so I am hoping you are wrong twice.

xu95

· Registered
187 Posts
The NIT is what it is...the JV tournament. I don't think I could stomach another Villanova national championship. I'd choose Nova and SJU both losing in their respective tournaments. It's just me being honest. Now if you asked me would I rather the Hawks beat X and get to the dance and Villanova win the championship or Hawks lose to X and Nova not win the national championship, I'd say us beating X and Nova winning championship. Winning the NIT is nice, but who really cares in the grand scheme of things? I don't think I can even stomach Nova getting to the final 4, let alone win the thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.