Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...sbits,1,2254978.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Keith Glass, Skiles' agent from his playing days and adviser since 1986, said Skiles doesn't want his contract situation to become a distraction for his players.

"We have no problem where we are now," Glass said. "Scott loves the team. He's as excited as can be about doing his job. Jerry is the owner of the team. He has no obligation to offer an extension. That being said, we have no obligation to accept one if we don't want to.

"We're not disturbed at all about negotiations. What has disturbed me is the idea we're pressuring in any way to get an extension. That's ridiculous. Scott's busy doing an absolutely incredible job."

Negotiations on an extension are expected this summer. The Bulls' rapid rise to success can only help Skiles' value.

The Bulls gave long-term deals to Tim Floyd and Bill Cartwright that left them paying multiple coaches at once. In that light, it'll be interesting to see if the Bulls offer Skiles long-term security.
JR wants to deal with the coach directly sans agent.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I think a deal will get done for Skiles, but JR better not be naive to think that it wont cost the Bulls a good chunk of change and lots of years to keep Skiles around.

I do have to wonder what is taking so long in re-upping Skiles? Does Paxson have his eyes set on another coach, or is he just waiting to see what this season becomes before offering a big deal?

If you read between the lines during Skiles' ESPN interviews, it sure sounds like he won't be a happy camper if the Bulls decide to just pick up his option and not give him a longterm deal. Even sounds like he would sit out a year rather than be a lame-duck coach.

Am i being paranoid?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I heard what Skiles said about the picking up of his contract and to me it sounded like all he was saying was that it wouldn't make since to sign any coach for one year from the organization's standpoint not his own.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hustle said:
I heard what Skiles said about the picking up of his contract and to me it sounded like all he was saying was that it wouldn't make since to sign any coach for one year from the organization's standpoint not his own.
I'm going off memory, but i do remember Skiles saying something like "the team has an option, but so do i, i'm a grown man and have options for myself." **paraphrasing**

I'm sure spongy recorded it and its in the SKiles radio update thread..i'm just too lazy to go through it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts