Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...sbits,1,5732981.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

In New York last month, he drew a technical foul for saying: "You guys should just put two [fouls] on him to start every game. That way, you wouldn't have to go through the trouble."

At Cleveland last month, he got another technical for asking, "Does he have to be the top pick to get a call?"—a not-so-subtle reference to LeBron James.

"I'm trying to figure out how Hinrich can play 34 minutes of all-out basketball, all over the map, and can't get to the line," Skiles said after Saturday night's victory over New Orleans. "It's unbelievable the calls that he doesn't get. I don't understand it. But we'll keep talking about it, and hopefully it will turn around."

In typical Hinrich fashion, the rookie pointed the finger inward.

"I have to do a better job of getting to the rim and making the fouls look more obvious," Hinrich said. "A lot of times, officials are getting their first look at me." …

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Hell yeah, Skiles. Tell 'em how it is.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Originally posted by <b>blkwdw13</b>!
Isn't that true with all rookies though with a few rare exceptions.
That's true that you won't get the foul calls but Skiles keeps arguing that he's getting mauled out there and the refs aren't doing anything. I'm glad Skiles is sticking up to it and hopefully the refs will notice if he continues to make a big deal out of this. and not actually do any harm

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
So long as the refs don't stop the game to lecture Kirk like he's a grade schooler again...that was pathetic. I was embarrassed for the ref for being such a jackass.

But yeah. Kirk's a rookie. rookie's don't get calls.

Even Lebron James doesn't get the calls he should get right now.

·
Registered
640 Posts
With even Hinrich being a rookie and all...

I still believe that he gets the short end of the stick on a lot of calls...

He damn near gets a beat down before they blow the whistle.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
Kirk's a rookie. rookie's don't get calls.

I was wondering if anyone else was going to take notice of this.

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
At the risk of veering off topic a bit, it continues to amaze me that the media, and we as fans, continue to tolerate NBA officials' treatment of rookies. The concept of a rookie (or other young player) having to "earn his way" in the L with the refs-- a concept that has become so commonplace that it is no longer looked upon as unjust, but rather just the way it is-- is nauseating. Can anyone imagine a rookie offensive lineman being singled out for holding or a rookie baseball player having to bat with a larger strike zone?

The only major sport that condones this is the NBA. And it disgusts me.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kneepad</b>!
At the risk of veering off topic a bit, it continues to amaze me that the media, and we as fans, continue to tolerate NBA officials' treatment of rookies. The concept of a rookie (or other young player) having to "earn his way" in the L with the refs-- a concept that has become so commonplace that it is no longer looked upon as unjust, but rather just the way it is-- is nauseating. Can anyone imagine a rookie offensive lineman being singled out for holding or a rookie baseball player having to bat with a larger strike zone?

I would agree that rookie (mis)treatment is more widespread in the NBA, but that doesn't mean that none of the other leagues give veteran calls. How about the dreaded Maddux/Glavine extended plate? Hitters have been complaining about that for years.

In defense of baseball, they made an attempt to clean this up with Questec (sp?) this year. And whaddaya know, Glavine had a bad year!

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

I would agree that rookie (mis)treatment is more widespread in the NBA, but that doesn't mean that none of the other leagues give veteran calls. How about the dreaded Maddux/Glavine extended plate? Hitters have been complaining about that for years.

In defense of baseball, they made an attempt to clean this up with Questec (sp?) this year. And whaddaya know, Glavine had a bad year!
Hmm... I wonder if Questec bet on... ;)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I've gotta agree with Kneepad. In fact, you beat me to the post. I was gonna write the same basic thing! Damn these support calls taking me away from the message board!

There really is too great a discrepancy with how different players get preferential treatement or lack of treatement from the refs. Rooks get no calls. Superstars get calls that don't even exist. Certain players have garnered different reps. and the refs call the game according to that. Rose, for all his whining, rarely ever got a call and you know there were times when he was flat-out mugged going to the rim and he never got a whistle. I think a large part of it is the refs simply "paying him back" for all his incessant whining. A guy like Darrell Armstrong has made his rep as a "scrapper". He gets away with murder out there. Curry seems to have a rep for being foul-prone and so the second he even comes close to putting a shoulder into a guy he gets blown for an offensive foul. Shaq can send a guy into the stands and it's quite allright. Just good aggressive play.

My wife hates watching games with me because I'm so critical of the refs. It isn't so much that I think the Bulls should get all the calls as much as I'd like the game to be called the same for both teams, regardless of whether it's a superstar, a rook or a journeyman committing the foul. Just call the game according to the rules and not according to the player.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kneepad</b>!

I was just about to post something very similar. A foul is a foul and it should not matter who is involved.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!

I don't get to follow other teams as much as in past years, but by rookie standards, he's getting the red carpet treatment. Note: by rookie standards.

I watched a few Toronto games, and I couldn't believe how Bosh was getting mugged in the post. NBA players are smart enough that if you can knock the snot out of someone and not get called, the next time you better knock out some teeth. Then maybe give him a concussion, and back off only when the ref makes a call.

Anyway, in watching a few games, it seemed to me that James was getting much more favorable calls than Bosh.

Anyway, let me chime in with Kneepad:

At the risk of veering off topic a bit, it continues to amaze me that the media, and we as fans, continue to tolerate NBA officials' treatment of rookies.
I've been saying this for years. It disgusts me. I boycotted watching the NBA finals two years ago after the royal screwing the Kings got.

I would poop in my pants if I saw a ref go out on the floor, point his finger, and lecture Karl Malone the way he did Hinrich! You gotta be kidding me! Show me another professional sport where the ref takes some time out of the game to lecture a rookie like that.

Rookie calls are the worst, but reuptation calls abound. Does Tim Duncan get called for blocking a shot at the rim if he gets a little body? No. If you have a star player on a fast break and you swipe at the ball, even if you make NO CONTACT with person, ball, or anything but air, tweet, and 1.

Yes, it disgusts me. It makes it more of a popularity contest and "entertainment" than professional basketball. The key question, though, is what do I do about it?

Seriously, I'm not going to stop paying my NBA League Pass and miss watching Bulls games. And if I were in Chicago and could get tickets without selling my firstborn into slavery, I would. Which means, the league continues to get its $$. That seems to be the only thing that matters.

What CAN I do that will have an impact?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I missed the game where Hinrich was "lectured" by a referee. Who was the referee? What game was it? What happened?

·
Registered
226 Posts
If I remeber right, it was early in the last home game against Boston. Don't remember the ref, but it must have been one of: #35 Jack Nies, #20 Jess Kersey, or #56 Troy Raymond.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Jess Kersey is a troglodyte.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts