Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Follow what leader?
"Leadership has not been a strong asset of this particular group," head coach Scott Skiles conceded after practice Tuesday at the Berto Center. "It's definitely something we're still searching for.

"We have a quiet group. So then you say, 'Well, you have to lead by example.' We have plenty of guys who work hard and lead by example and all that and are very good guys, but there are times when you like the players to discipline themselves a little bit."

Last season, the Bulls made a quantum leap to the playoffs, in part because of the effectiveness of forward Antonio Davis and swingman Adrian Griffin in leadership positions.

But before this season started, Davis was shipped to the New York Knicks as part of the Eddy Curry trade, while Griffin was allowed to walk out the free-agent door. Griffin signed with the Dallas Mavericks after the start of the season.

"A.D.'s leadership presence is definitely something we've missed," Skiles said. "There's no doubt about that. And Griff was very important to our team. We miss that (veteran leadership)."

While much was made of the loss of Curry at the time, the departure of Davis and his influence on and off the court turned out to be no less significant.

Not only did Davis demand accountability from his teammates, but he had the talent and experience to command respect.

"When A.D. was on the court, you always heard his voice, and it gave us a sense of confidence that somebody was back there," guard Chris Duhon said. "With this team, we have a lot of guys whose natures aren't to be vocal. That hurts us, especially at the defensive end, where communication is very important.

"When you have a guy like A.D. on the court, you always know whether you're in the right spot. Because if you're not, he makes sure that you know about it."

Duhon has been the most vocal of the three Bulls co-captains this season, but his reserve role, coupled with a lack of durability, limits his impact for leadership.

·
Registered
580 Posts
We can't get angry at players for it.I know its all because of Bulls managment.You could look at what they did as being bad or good as far as Eddy and Davis concerned.I think it was a very questionable move to say the least.Pax did the right thing with Eddy.Ya he hasn't fallen out on the court but he cared more for Eddy,Eddy cared more for money."Eddy money"you were my boy but you went to a team that ain't going no where for a long time.Davis when he went we lost all and I mean all our inside presence,and vetern leadership!Oh well lets see what htese draft picks will do for us.At the end of the season it might be worth the wait.Keep fighting Bulls fans,we will rise to the top very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boxing:

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
This sounds like a story right out of our post trade analysis thread. Way to be 5 months late ;)

While Hinrich is my favorite player (duh!), I want him to step up and take this role for now until Deng or Tyson mature and groom into it. When he plays like a leader, you see him with 5-game stretches of 25ppg and 9apg.

Unfortunately, he doesn't seem willing/wanting to do this over the course of an entire season. Too much pressure, who knows? But that's been my largest gripe with Kirk. I want to see more than just flashes of an All-Star capable guard.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,077 Posts
We've been saying this for months now. The leadership in the locker room and on the floor would have made a huge difference in those close games, maybe even a two or three game difference in wins. Seriosuly, having a guy that knows what to do in what circumstances, and just for young players to know that there's a REAL veteran on the floor... it adds so much.

Our squad is REALLY young. The team captains are leaders but not more established than the rest of the team. Captain Kirk is the closest thing we have to a leader but he's too close in age and experience to the rest of these guys.

We need a vocal veteran leader, someone who is not a young budding player or even a younger player nearing his prime... someone who is grizzled, vocal, and someone that they can respect.

A Calbert Cheaney, David Wesley, Toni Kukoc or Darrell Armstrong addition next offseason would do a lot for our younger guys. Hopefully it wouldn't take much money and hopefully they'd be 1 or 2 year deals max, but I'd be very glad to give up Pargo's spot for Armstrong, any day of the week.

Lindsey Hunter would make a strong acquisition in this department also but I think he might be retiring soon. Getting Antonio Davis back, honestly, might be a great way to go but I don't know if Davis can take another full season of play. Getting a veteran player who isn't able to be on the floor with the other players isn't really going to help, we learned from the Pippen signing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.