Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its still early in the season but hes averaging about 11 boards in only 25mins a game!!

I have watched 2 of the Philly games so far, Magic and the Knicks game and he is a beast. He goes after any rebound that is close to him and he is a banger.

Whats going to happen to his minutes once DC and Monty come back?? Or the young guys Dalembert and Clancy??

I think this guy should definitely keep getting minutes as he provides a big lift off the bench. I can see him playing a few games at C especially since there are not too many dominant big men in the East.

What does everyone think?? Is Skinner just fluking the first few games or is he going to provide consistent play during the season??

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Hard to say jrrompy.

But in this start he really is looking amazing. I would get him some PT in the C spot. He can do the dirty work, and I agree totally with you that he provides a big lift off the bench.

The wise thing to do is let the guy play a couple of times and see if he keep the same level. I'm high on Skinner. I think he could be very valuable player. :yes:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
yea

The reason Larry was always so high on Skinner was because he calimed he never had real coaching before, which has its truth. He really is a banger and hustler, and his offense will come later.

Personally when the injuries end, I think he should defintely keep getting pt. I dont think DC wil lbe able to play as much as he has in the past, and he wil lget some time at center which helps.

C- T mac, Skinner
PF- DC, Clancy (few minutes) Hapring (few minutes)
SF- Hapring, Mckie, Buckner, Monty
SG- AI, Mckie, Salmons
PG- Snow, MCkie Salmons

That prbably what it will look like

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Harpring? You mean VanHorn. I've always been interested in Skinner, and now hes finaly getting a chance to show what he can do. I see him as a poor mans Ben Wallace. A defensive hustler who does all the little things, but hasent developed a good offense yet.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
lol

yes I alwasy mistake Hapring and Van Horn , becuase they are the same eperson :confused: !!! I think Van Horn has an edge o nthe shooting tho.

And yes SKinner really is showing what he can do, he will be our next Tyrone HIll

·
Registered
414 Posts
Maybe a bit like Brian Grant, but not quite the athlete.

He is doing an excellent job so far. The Tyrone Hill role. Brown has let him finish the all three games.

He is obviously quicker running , moving and jumping than most of the other 76ers big men. Without a variety of offensive scoring skills, he must work hard to help offensively.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Somewhere, a man is thanking God for finally sending a legitimate four-five man off the bench to the 76ers. I was saying the same thing last year about Corey Blount, but I won't mention that name again here for the rest of my tenure.

My opinion right now is with MacCullouch struggling with his foot problem, that you give him around 20 minutes a game so he can get into playing shape. And at that very same time start Skinner for the time being, at Center. Somebody somewhere maybe saying "he's too small to be center," well he'll be playing center for portions of the game anyway since LB likes to play with the three guard lineup (which will be from now on known as the Oompa Loompa lineup), and with "DUI" Coleman coming back, we wouldn't be losing much size in the starting five.

McKie is playing extremely well, but everyone knows that eventually he'll be back in his natural position which is sixth man, and there he'll get about thirty minutes spelling the Point Guard, Shooting Guard, and Small Forward positions.

I like Monty Williams, I'm assuming that he's primarily going to be the reserve SF, if needed PF. While most people like to compare Buckner to George Lynch, I think Monty Williams is the guy who is truly playing the "Lynch position" as the perimeter defender on the three, four, and sometimes even the big two such as his former teammate Tracy McGrady. I honestly believe the reason we acquired him was to get a guy who is capable of defending both Pierce, and Walker up in Boston, but because of how good they're doing, I doubt the Sixers will have to worry at all about them. ;)

Last but not least, Buckner is a great defender, some reason it looks like he's even better wearing the Sixers jersey than he was with the Mavs uniform. He looks like he really lost out there when the team is trying to run the offense, getting in the way of other players, hopefully more practice will correct this. But even if he was in the right place, I'm not sure if he could hit anything out of two feet.

Let's hope things keep getting better, and we'll be back playing whoever the West has to offer.. like they have a chance. :D

-Tim

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long is Monty meant to be out for?? I read it was major surgery and he was due out for 4-6months.......is that right??

Either way, I think once DC is back the Sixers will have the option of him or KVH as their scoring big men. I'm not sure if both of them will gel together since KVH's shot hasn't been falling consistently yet.

Anyways, i'm really happy with Skinner's play and I think he will continue to contribute major minutes with the team. I think Art Long will be relegated to the end of the bench though, he is a hard working player, but he will be out of place once the injured players start to come back into the rotation.

One last question, in the first couple of games it looks like AI and KVH are quite happy to be playing together, there seems to be more of a team feel here. I wonder if it changes as the season progresses. Does anyone think this??

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Truthfully, I think it all depends on KVH's production throughout the season. Iverson never really has a problem working with guys if he believes they are really a key in helping the team reach the next level, it's when they either get in his way or don't produce when he sours on them.

And I think Van Horn will have a really good season this year.

-Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts