Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHO DO YOU GUYS THINK WILL COMPETE FOR THE SLAM DUNK CONTEST THIS YEAR?? I WOULD LOVE TO SEE KOBE, VINCE, AND T-MAC ENTER IT. I KNOW THEY AREN'T. I THINK J. RICHARDSON WILL COMPETE IN IT AGAIN. I DON'T KNW WHO WILL WIN IT THIS YEAR....WHAT DO U GUYS THINK??

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
its too early to even say.

But if there was a dunk contest I would have

Steve Francis
Tmac
Vince
Jrich
Keon Clark
Fred Jones
Desmond Mason
i dont know who else....

·
Registered
924 Posts
Here's a good list:

Freddie Jones
Donnell Harvey
Vince Carter
Jason Richardson
Ricky Davis
Kedrick Brown

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Better be good, more than likely, I'll go to the contest and the other Allstar festivities.

They'll probably bring in the players who aren't big superstars, but some players we've heard of: Jason Richardson, Ricky Davis, Gerald Wallace, Richard Jefferson, Freddie Jones

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Kobe Bryant has said that he wants to be in the Dunk contest, the league just hasn't asked him since 1997.

I'd want to see a 16 player Dunk contest , so my list would be:

Kobe Bryant
Vince Carter
Tracy McGrady
Kevin Garnett (I still can't figure out why he has never been in the Dunk Contest)
Darius Miles
Jason Richardson
Steve Francis
Ricky Davis
Kenyon Martin
Stromile Swift
Desmond Mason
Corey Maggette
Quentin Richardson
Fred Jones
Baron Davis
Ray Allen

Other possible contestants:

Larry Hughes
Nene Hilario
Keon Clark
Antonio Daniels
Michael Dickerson
Jonathon Bender
Pau Gasol
Gerald Wallace

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where is RJ?

Richard Jefferson is an outstanding leaper pretty much the same as Jason Richardson. I don't see why people forget about him.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would like to see more players than 6 in the Dunk contest. Some players I think should compete are

Tyson Chandler- the kid gets about 2 alley oops each game

Eddie Robinson- he has like a 50+ inch vertical, if he's healthy. Just think of the dunks a guy could do with a vertical like that

Richardson- defending champ has to be in it

Freddie Jones- kid's got hops as he showed at Oregon

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
slam dunk contest arent worth talking about.

It is true. There once was a day when the greatest dunkers would showcase their talent at NBA allstar weekend.
We had MJ, Dominik, Kenny "sky" Walker, Darryl Dawkins, Dr. J, and even Spud Webb. But now we have the like of Gerald Wallace. Who are these new faces and why wont the NBA's best come out to play. We need a true dunk contest between Kobe & Vince, with other great dunkers like Tmac, Francis, J. Rich, Desmond Mason. Until we get the premier dunker in the league to enter the contest, it not worth talking about.:mad:

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Yup I agree, it's lame how the NBA is using the slam dunk contest as a way of showing "new faces" instead of making a real competition of the best dunkers.

If it's anything like last year's crap, I won't watch it. If Kobe, and Vince, both ex-champions who have given the best showcase in recent history aren't at least invited I won't watch it :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
kobe vince and mcgrady were all invited they jsut turned it down. Do you really think stern would not invite the best dunkers? Miles was also invited but he turned it down cause he wasn't asked to play in the rookie game.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by 82
kobe vince and mcgrady were all invited they jsut turned it down. Do you really think stern would not invite the best dunkers? Miles was also invited but he turned it down cause he wasn't asked to play in the rookie game.
Kobe Bryant was asked why he isn't in the Dunk Contest anymore and he said it was because they hadn't invited him. He said that he would like to be in it again, they just haven't asked him to. The Dunk Contest two years ago was the most boring ever. Last year's would have been really boring, but J-Rich saved it by making some great dunks late in the contest.
Tyson Chandler couldn't be in a dunk contest, all of his dunks are just plain two handed and one-handed. He couldn't do any 360's or windmills like J-Rich, Vince, T-MAC or Kobe.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Have you seen Tyson Chandler dunk outside of a game? I'm guessing the answer is no. He can do everything except, probably jumping from the FT line.

I agree to some extent though. Tall players have a tough time looking spectatcular with their dunks. Tyson can do a lot more than what you said though....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think there is a height limit in the Dunk COntest. That's why you don't see players like K.G. , TIm Duncan, R. Wallace compete in the contest.....I would like to see more players in Dunk contest. I think Stern will ask Kobe and Vince and T-Mac to compete this year....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Theres no heighth limit, tallest player i can recall being in the dunk contest wasJonathan Bender in 2001, he's 7' which is taller than Rasheed and the same as KG and Duncan.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Originally posted by 82
Yea Vince turned it down, but only cause he was injured. He didn't attend All-Star weekend at all. Vince did say he'd like to enter the Slam Dunk contest one more time before he retires though.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by KC
Have you seen Tyson Chandler dunk outside of a game? I'm guessing the answer is no. He can do everything except, probably jumping from the FT line.

I agree to some extent though. Tall players have a tough time looking spectatcular with their dunks. Tyson can do a lot more than what you said though....
I'd like to know where you've seen Tyson Chandler dunk outside of a game. They don't televise practices.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What they should do is...

Let the fans vote on who should compete in the Slam Dunk Contest... therefore, if it comes in as 1) Vince 2) Kobe 3) T-Mac 4) Francis.... and if they dont wanna compete, they'll be shytting on their fans... it'll give the whole guilt thing on the players... and i'm sure they will most likely come out...

peace

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by The X Factor

I'd like to know where you've seen Tyson Chandler dunk outside of a game. They don't televise practices.
LOL, I was hoping you would ask..... Yep, I played against Tyson in Jr. High, and I watched him numerous times in HS. I've seen him in practice and I'm seen him just messing around. He can dunk, trust me. He can do nearly everything.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Your List, While Long is pretty good.

Kobe Bryant-agree
Vince Carter-agree
Tracy McGrady-agree
Kevin Garnett-not so sure what all dunks he can do
Darius Miles-agree
Jason Richardson-kind of agree. His height he gets is great but he always does that windmill thing which gets kind of annoying.
Steve Francis-Good ups but just bounces it and doesn't really do anything creative.
Ricky Davis-agree
Kenyon Martin-He is a good in-game dunker. Nothing really spectacular.
Stromile Swift-agree
Desmond Mason-agree
Corey Maggette-agree
Quentin Richardson-never really seen him dunk
Fred Jones-agree
Baron Davis-agree
Ray Allen-agree
Larry Hughes-agree
Nene Hilario-never seen him perform either
Keon Clark-again a good in game dunker but probable isn't that creative.
Antonio Daniels-always does that one-handed dunk.
Michael Dickerson-Never seen him.
Jonathon Bender-Agree
Pau Gasol-probably doesn't know that many dunks
Gerald Wallace-agree

1 - 20 of 22 Posts