Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to ESPN, UMass is gonna hire Eastern Kentucky coach Travis Ford to be their new head coach. After a lot of the talk we heard surrounding this job, does the prospect of a coach who was 61-80 in 5 years at EKU heading to Amherst make anyone else say, "...huh?"

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Ford was a helluva point guard for Kentucky back in the early 90's (Jamal Mashburn era). You don't see too many 5'9 white point guards who can start at a program like Kentucky!

·
Registered
186 Posts
JW said:
Two words: Rick Pitino. That answers the "huh?"
I'm not sure about that..........if Pitino was involved --- why not Bobby Gonzales from Manhattan who (according to numerous reports) highly coveted the UMass job ?

But I agree in theory.......Pitino's influence on UMass is huge.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Manhattan right now with the foundation that is in place there (started 3 freshman) is a better job over the next 2 years than UMass for Gonzo. I don't think he "coveted" that job regardless of what some papers may have reported downt his way. Both jobs are stepping stones for the level Gonzo wants to end up at eventually, so why not stay in the biggest media market in the world where he has better players right now and the opportunity to win his league again quicker than UMass does.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured...

...Pitino's influence was all over this, but I think even when you factor in the influence he has, it's still a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Not to bag on Travis Ford...he had a nice year this year, played a great game against Kentucky, and will do better than Steve Lappas did...but I'm still a little surprised, and I don't even *like* UMass.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Put me in the "surprised" group as well. Pitino guy or not......he ISN'T Pitino! UMass is not the job it once was, and this is not a hire that will make UMass recruits or alums say "WOW". UMass has lost its way.......it's only a stepping stone now, and barely ranks above most America East jobs.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
mainejeff said:
Put me in the "surprised" group as well. Pitino guy or not......he ISN'T Pitino! UMass is not the job it once was, and this is not a hire that will make UMass recruits or alums say "WOW". UMass has lost its way.......it's only a stepping stone now, and barely ranks above most America East jobs.
I think Ford will get them back on the right track. He's an up and comer. I don't understand why people are down on his selection.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Most UMass fans are feeling good about the hire. Record is deceiving because he started his first year with just 2 scholarship players in a program with no history of success. We're hearing he's a good game coach whose teams always play hard. Consistency, effort and game coaching are things that have been missing in Amherst during the Lappas era.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Eastern Kentucky, Amherst. Yep, real similar, lots of inbreeding and people with few teeth.

I think Ford will do fine there ;)

I was a tad bit surprised at the hire, but it's obvious they went with someone that Little Ricky wanted.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Pitino has indicated he won't come to Boston. He's been asked many times by many people.

Amherst/Worcester, perhaps, but Boston, probably not.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
He thinks that Kevin McHale, Larry Bird, and Robert Parrish "may come walking through that door" at some point, and all of the Boston fans will be able to laugh at him.

Either that or the Celtic fans will shower him with love for what he did as GM/Coach.

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
NU Hoop Fan said:
Either that or the Celtic fans will shower him with love for what he did as GM/Coach.

I can see the marketing promotion now for team X that brings Pitino in:

Celtics fans, come and show your love for the "triumphant" return of Boston's Favorite Basketball son, Rick Pitino! I'm sure they could load up the bitter bus to get some C's fans onboard.

That said, I doubt he'll ever be back unless it's for an NCAA game.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts