Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday night, in a 109-98 Jazz loss to Denver, it was fellow shooting guard Gordan Giricek on the receiving end of Jerry Sloan's wrath.
With Snyder being disciplined and Raja Bell injured, Giricek started at the two spot. He lasted less than five minutes, however, before being replaced by Howard Eisley and engaging with Sloan in a brief sideline exchange of words.
"I think he's frustrated and confused as to what we want out of him," Sloan said of Giricek, who also was a bit demonstrative about not having foul calls whistled in his favor.
"But he's been here long enough," the Jazz coach added, "to know that he's got some things to do — but it's tough to play if you go out just focussed on yourself."
Sloan sat Giricek for the rest of the first half, and replaced him in Utah's opening lineup for the second half.
Giricek did return later in the third quarter, however, and wound up with five more points on top of the six he had scored before the early opening-quarter exit.
"He did a better job," Sloan said, "of trying to do things and help other people in the second part of the ball game."

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600122638,00.html

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
If Sloan has this many players in his doghouse, who is going to be left to play? He has a lot of work to do in the offseason.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gordon and Sloan seem to have cleared the air.

The morning after Jazz coach Jerry Sloan briefly benched shooting guard Gordan Giricek following their short sideline exchange of words Wednesday, the two had a lengthy prepractice chat.
Afterward, each sounded content with agreeing to disagree.
"I don't know that we got everything totally ironed out," Sloan said. "I think he's a little bit frustrated and obviously has a little different opinion, maybe, about what's going on than what we do. We'll have to keep working at it."
"I'm the kind of guy, whenever I fight with somebody, or even (have) an argument or something, it never influences on me during the game — because when I step on the court, I put everything aside," Giricek said. "I just play. I just want to help team. That's it, you know? And I know I can help team."
Individual vs. team play seems be at the root of Sloan's conflict with the Croatian guard.
Asked if he and Sloan were on the same page, Giricek said, "I don't know. We'll see next game. ... We have our own opinions. Whatever minutes he'll give me, I'll try to play hard."
Sloan sat Giricek after pulling him early in the opening quarter of Wednesday's loss to Denver but went back to him in the third quarter.
The Jazz coach suggested he is willing to play Giricek tonight vs. Golden State, too.
"He's got terrific talent. There's no question about his talent," Sloan said. "But we're trying to understand where that fits in with what we're trying to do from a team standpoint.
"I don't have a problem if a guy's talented. But I've got to be in charge of five guys out there on the floor, and the guys that are sitting on the bench, in order to try to put them together. ... A lot of guys will do things maybe on their own and play that way, but I haven't seen that that gives us the best opportunity to win."
Sloan suggested Giricek sees things differently: "He has, sometimes, a little bit different opinion of what we're doing than what we have."

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600122847,00.html

·
Registered
420 Posts
sloan has to understand he doesnt have malone and stockton now and that these are mostly young players that have to learn by making mistakes..

hes such a dictator who want the players to be robots and he has such an ego that he has to control every play he flies off the handle at msitakes..

i think a young team like this is the worst team for sloan to work with.he doesnt seem aptient with young players and seem to let em make mistakes instead he throws em in the doghouse..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts