Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article. Surprised me a little that the author didn't even mention Portland.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/82games/03/13/small.backcourts/index.html

Because the new interpretations emphasize quickness and reward the ability to dribble and penetrate, another key effect has been to make it much more difficult for bigger teams to match up with those using small backcourts.
Even though this season still has about 20 games to go, small backcourts have already become more prominent than they were a year ago, the first year of the new rules interpretations. Two seasons ago, when the rules were less favorable for smaller players, only three small backcourts -- Denver's Earl Boykins and Andre Miller, Atlanta's Jason Terry and Jacque Vaughn and Sacramento's Mike Bibby and Bobby Jackson -- played a substantial number of minutes.

This season, six small backcourts have seen substantial minutes, including Boykins and Miller. They were joined in Denver this year by a third small point guard, Earl Watson, who played more than 400 minutes with Boykins and Miller before being traded to Seattle last month. Milwaukee's T.J. Ford and Maurice Williams also have paired up for plenty of time after Ford's return from a back injury that sidelined him last season. The other three small lineups all include rookies: lottery picks Chris Paul (with Speedy Claxton with the Hornets) and Raymond Felton (with Brevin Knight in Charlotte) and late first-rounder Nate Robinson (teaming with Marbury in an even smaller Knicks backcourt).
with Blake increasingly looking for his own (deadly) perimeter shot, and Telfair doing a far better job of penetrating in the past few games, it kind of makes you wonder if the Telfair/Blake back court isn't so much a gimmick, but where we may be headed.

one thing that stands out to me, though, is that if you include Portland, there are seven teams with short back courts. only one of them (Denver) is an above-.500 team. more teams are going short, but they aren't necessarily succeeding.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Interesting article, I wonder how true it will become. I like your point at the end, very true, good to see realism in everything.

Another interesting note, remember at the beginning of the season Nate said he didn't want to play Bassy and Dixon together because they were too small of a backcourt?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
bballchik said:
Another interesting note, remember at the beginning of the season Nate said he didn't want to play Bassy and Dixon together because they were too small of a backcourt?
Yes, but that's because he didn't read the sign before he entered the inferno.

Ed O.

·
Registered
630 Posts
hasoos said:
The teams that go with small guards will be the ones that probably end up a little bit short. LOL! :biggrin:

I'll stick with SG 6'5" and above thank you.
well kiss that goodbye for tonight! blake's starting at shooting guard again and he's 6'3''. at least he's 5 to 10 pounds heavier and stronger than blow on him and he'll fall over and doesn't play any defense dixon. still. not a fan of blake at the 2. oh well. nate's an interesting character. i bet he's hit a record for most lineup changes in one nba season. he seems pretty smart though, hopefully he knows what he's doing and he'll figure things out this summer and next season will be better.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
bballchik said:
nate's an interesting character. i bet he's hit a record for most lineup changes in one nba season. he seems pretty smart though, hopefully he knows what he's doing and he'll figure things out this summer and next season will be better.
The Larry Brown Knicks have had a crazy amount of lineup changes...& they keep losing...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.