Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What, you say he already has a job as Bulls coach? And might even be coach of the year?

Skiles remains the most popular player in Magic history, annually winning the fan vote when Shaquille O'Neal and Penny Hardaway were there. Magic insiders admit they erred when they had a chance to hire Skiles before the Bulls did and hesitated. The Magic has talented players, but its defense ranks among the league's poorest. And the record is starting to suggest nobody does defense better than Skiles.

In Skiles' first full season as the Suns' coach, they recorded their best-ever defensive field-goal percentage. The Bulls now are on pace to have their best-ever field-goal defense. This is probably not a coincidence. For next season, the Bulls hold an option on Skiles that has not been exercised yet. There's no reason to believe the option won't be exercised--and with an extension. But what if the Magic offered their first-round draft pick as compensation for Skiles?

The Magic has a glut of young players. The Bulls don't have many ways to get better quickly with no salary-cap room after this season and no first-round pick because of the Luol Deng deal. There are a number of good shooting guards and solid power forwards in this draft. The Bulls could use help at both positions.

So how much is a coach really worth? Many will say perhaps five games over a season. But what is a young, potential starter worth? Skiles is establishing a reputation as a Larry Brown-esque turnaround coach: You hire him and your team gets better. But those types of demanding coaches usually don't last long. They burn out the players with their urgent style. Few expect Brown to return to Detroit after this season, his second.

The Bulls figure to bet on Skiles blending with his current group. But what if a team like Orlando does make such an offer. Is it too good to refuse?
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-0503210182mar21,1,3704490.column?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
:laugh: :laugh:

Gotta give him the creativity award on that one.

For the record - I'm not sure Magic own their pick in 2005 (conditional , Jameer deal with Nugz)

But they do own 2005 Wizards pick.

Of corse the Magic won't do that , though in some funny way , I do believe it would help them (and Francis would probably leave :biggrin: )

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Haha...yeah, that's creative alright.

I'd do it in a heartbeat...but I'm not a huge Skiles fan. This is contingent on the Bulls immediately hiring Flip Saunders or PJax. This is also contingent on pigs flying, hell freezing over, and that quarter I planted finally sprouting.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I'm just happy he didn't try to get us mediocre Rahim again for 3 core players :biggrin:

TBF - I don't like the Idea of letting Skiles go as well , but doesn't this hypothetical situation also depend on who Pax and JR bring to replace Skiles. Since it's wonderland anyway - what if it was Phil? :wink:

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
I'd trade Skiles in a heartbeat for a mid first rounder (in an offseason move of course). I don't want to disrupt team chemistry entering the playoff stretch, and am glad to see Orlando and Cleveland haven't followed suit.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
If I thought we had good odds at bringing Flip Saunders in to replace Skiles, I'd do it. I doubt Phil wants to come back - he can only sully his coaching record here by coming back, since we're still a couple years from title contention if we even get there.

Basically unless we're nearly guaranteed to replace Skiles with an elite coach, I'd be very hesitant to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I understand Orlando making the move because of the all the character issues swirling in Orlando...Francis is disgruntled, Augmon is losing his mind, Christie bailing out...

I don't see the Silas move, again. I agree that there must be behind the scenes issues with him that we don't know about. He clearly has problems with both Snow AND McGinnis and word has it that Lebron dislikes him even though Silas will say things like "Lebron makes life easy" and "This is Lebron's team" etc;.

My comment about trading Skiles for a first round pick--ie that I'd "do it"--doesn't mean that I'm at all unhappy with the way this season has turned out. I just think that we'll eventually grab a new coach in the "championsip" mold, like a Phil Jackson, and that any possible way to grab a first round pick would be an absolute coup for John Paxson. The Bulls are one more first round pick away from a completely under-24 nucleus AND a sixth man that could win for years and years to come. I'm more just amused at the suggestion made by good ol' Sam Smith than anything else. Nothing against Skiles, honest. :)

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
ViciousFlogging said:
If I thought we had good odds at bringing Flip Saunders in to replace Skiles, I'd do it. I doubt Phil wants to come back - he can only sully his coaching record here by coming back, since we're still a couple years from title contention if we even get there.

Basically unless we're nearly guaranteed to replace Skiles with an elite coach, I'd be very hesitant to pull the trigger.
I'll be returning to my Asteroids throne soon enough :boohoo: Space bar thumb usually does me in.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Rhyder said:
I'll be returning to my Asteroids throne soon enough :boohoo: Space bar thumb usually does me in.
My thumb is still recovering from that game. That kind of Asteroids stamina was only created by a last-minute cancellation of Saturday night plans and a fair amount of luck (the small spaceships flew into asteroids far more than usual and until the end I never had one of those streaks where I repeatedly get hit by asteroids as soon as I come back to life). I'm pretty surprised it went on that long, though.

It took way too long to get that score, so I'm in no hurry to try to top it.

edit: especially since I have to get cracking on my LSAT prep. :angel:

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
ViciousFlogging said:
My thumb is still recovering from that game. That kind of Asteroids stamina was only created by a last-minute cancellation of Saturday night plans and a fair amount of luck (the small spaceships flew into asteroids far more than usual and until the end I never had one of those streaks where I repeatedly get hit by asteroids as soon as I come back to life). I'm pretty surprised it went on that long, though.

It took way too long to get that score, so I'm in no hurry to try to top it.

edit: especially since I have to get cracking on my LSAT prep. :angel:
I just have too much free time with nothing to keep me busy at nights while watching the NBA. I sort of go into hibernation during the season.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Rhyder said:
I sort of go into hibernation during the season.
So maybe I should pick up this Asteroids...

Ahh, the depressing life of the 9-5 worker. Sigh. I hate my job.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
BealeFarange said:
So maybe I should pick up this Asteroids...

Ahh, the depressing life of the 9-5 worker. Sigh. I hate my job.
I like my job, but I hardly ever feel the urge to go out during the season. Go out and spend money or watch a NBA game. Easy call as far as I'm concerned. Of course, my wife keeps me out of complete hibernation, and this DVR technology has made me miss much fewer basketball games.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts