Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link to Article

COLUMBUS, Ga.— Smush Parker earned the National Basketball Development League’s first-ever triple-double on Saturday night as the Florida Flame fended off a late rally to down the Columbus Riverdragons, 105-98, at the Columbus Civic Center. The NBA veteran with Cleveland, Detroit, and Phoenix hit for 31 points, 13 assists, and 11 rebounds to make history as the Flame won their sixth game in the last nine overall.

On two occasions this season, March 18 against Asheville (17 points, 10 assists, 8 rebounds) and March 24 versus Huntsville (12 points, 13 assists, 7 rebounds), Parker just missed his opportunity to make NBDL history. But with the Flame leading by one point, 92-91, with 3:34 to play, Parker grabbed his tenth rebound off of a Scott Merritt miss on a driving lay-up attempt to capture the feat.

“I’m honored to be the first player to record an NBDL triple-double,” said Parker. “I came close a few times this season, but I felt good about this one. I’m excited.”

Parker’s triple-double performance was the highlight of a Florida offensive onslaught that repeatedly went over, around, and through the Columbus defense all night long. The Flame (14-29) made highlight reel plays throughout the contest with a flurry of alley-oops, dunks, and reverse lay-ups that had the first-place Riverdragons (26-16) on their heels. Florida shot 49% from the floor and hit 21 of 28 free throws in the win.

Parker finished the first half well on his way towards the mark, posting 15 points, eight rebounds, and eight assists before the intermission to help propel the Flame to a 51-42 advantage at halftime. The 6-4, point guard out of Fordham (’02) scored nine points and had six rebounds in the second quarter alone as Florida outrebounded Columbus in the period, 15-7, to claim the nine-point advantage.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Never heard of the NBDL, but I'm happy for Smush. (What a great name).

·
Registered
116 Posts
NBDL=National Basketball Developmental League. It's a subsidiary and a potential minor league system for the NBA.

You must learn.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know who has his NBA rights?

What he be a good fit for the Blazers? 6'4" Guard. Obviously, he can pass, rebound and shoot.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Maybe we can pick him up as our backup point guard for next year. We really will need a reliable backup. Smush might fit the bill.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Gym Rat said:
Does anyone know who has his NBA rights?

What he be a good fit for the Blazers? 6'4" Guard. Obviously, he can pass, rebound and shoot.
Nobody has his rights. Currently players that are in the NBDL are all free agents, able to be picked up by any NBA team.

Parker's a potentially very, very good player. He's demonstrated he can play the PG position pretty well at a young age (he was 21 when he played for Cleveland).

The thing is: he has been a head case. Lack of focus, lack of discipline, etc. If he's grown out of it, he's going to make for a good player for someone.

Ed O.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ed O said:
Nobody has his rights. Currently players that are in the NBDL are all free agents, able to be picked up by any NBA team.

Parker's a potentially very, very good player. He's demonstrated he can play the PG position pretty well at a young age (he was 21 when he played for Cleveland).

The thing is: he has been a head case. Lack of focus, lack of discipline, etc. If he's grown out of it, he's going to make for a good player for someone.

Ed O.
I guess I am getting Stern's proposed plan confused with what is in place now. Stern is proposing that teams can send younger players to the NBDL to develop their skills instead of getting splinters sitting on an NBA bench or IL.

Smush last played for Phoenix and in a very short NBA career played for Cleveland, Detroit and Phoenix.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Gym Rat said:
I guess I am getting Stern's proposed plan confused with what is in place now. Stern is proposing that teams can send younger players to the NBDL to develop their skills instead of getting splinters sitting on an NBA bench or IL.

Smush last played for Phoenix and in a very short NBA career played for Cleveland, Detroit and Phoenix.
they've been needing to do that (have a "minor" league system) for about 10 years now. I don't get why people aren't up in arms that baseball (and hockey, to a lesser degree) have been drafting and playing players who are striaght out of high school for years.

Merge the CBA and the NBDL into one league, and have each team have it's own "farm" team, or share a team. If nothing, it'd probably make the NBA better.

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts
The farm system thing was in teh Oregonian today. Stern wants to change the NBDL into a farm system, that would have 15 teams, so a team would be comprised of 2 teams young players. I think its a good/great idea. Ha, Darko, and other players like that, would have a great chance to play. Also, it would probably make 2nd rounders become better players, and more of them would be succesfull in the league, because they would actually get PT.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Blazer Freak said:
The farm system thing was in teh Oregonian today. Stern wants to change the NBDL into a farm system, that would have 15 teams, so a team would be comprised of 2 teams young players. I think its a good/great idea. Ha, Darko, and other players like that, would have a great chance to play. Also, it would probably make 2nd rounders become better players, and more of them would be succesfull in the league, because they would actually get PT.
If they do a farm league, they should increase the draft to 3 rounds then. There are enough international players that it might be worth it, especially if the league ads, basically, 15 teams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts