Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night against Clippers:

Snapper said that we should foul and put the Clips on the line-to save POSSESSION and get the WIN!!!

But nooooo...the Blazers (coached by Cheeks) let the Clips run the whole play and make the 3, sending the game into OT where we collapsed.

Coaching...I am convinced it is coaching.

Nelly just did that very same thing-foul Philly, force them to the line, get POSSESSION back, and that is all you need to do when you have the lead!!!!

I realize anything can happen but what would you have done?

Snapper was right. Cheeks was wrong.

Forgive me..I'm just peeved over the whole thing. :upset:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Of course Snapper was right. Did you doubt him? Ever? :D

Mo is a crappy coach. He has proved that much in Portland. I couldn't believe they didn’t foul with like 5 seconds left. The guy was inside the line panic to find someone for a tree and try to pass. Foul and be up by one with like 4 sec to go. You have no time out so you lose on a three and a foul. Or go to OT. I can't believe they give him an other 2 yrs.

The loss was bitter sweet. Losing always hurts but getting a better pick will help in the future. Good thing Mo will not have that much influence over the in coming class. I think he will be gone after next year.

·
Registered
670 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking on that last play..."Why aren't they fouling someone :upset: :upset: :upset: " Is it the coaching, or the players not following the coach's instructions? I have to believe it's a little of both. Although I'm not sure who's fault it was in this instance.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yeah I was kind of dissapointed that the Blazers didn't foul when they had the chance on the inbound play right when a player caught the ball. But I guess the coaches didn't want to risk a foul near the 3 pt. line if a Clipper player did throw up a shot.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
This is the same mindset that the great and pure one Rick Adleman had when he was the Blazers coach..

There were times when he'd rather let the other team shoot the 3, because odds are in your favor they'll miss.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!

But hap...it went in! It went in! :curse:

Odds are not favorable for the Blazers!
it's not something I *agree* with, thats just what was said at the time.

I'd much rather they foul the guy before he can shoot the 3, and make them make the free throws.

But I ain't a coach, so obviously I should shut my trap!;)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
odds are in your favor they'll miss.
But the way the Clippers were bricking foul shots, the odds were also in our favor that they wouldn't even make both. Especially if we set our defense to force the ball to Elton Brand. You knew he was going to miss one.

The Blazers totally should have fouled someone. With all the scrapping that happened when Jaric had the ball, he probably should've been the one to go to the line.

Portland screwed up big time, and Cheeks is to blame. And keeping Damon in the game for defensive purposes further proves the point that Cheeks doesn't know what the hell he's doing. The lineup on the floor should've been Derek Anderson, Jeff McInnis, Wes Person (simply because he's not as dumb as Patterson), Randolph, and Davis (he fouled out in OT, right?).

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
This is the same mindset that the great and pure one Rick Adleman had when he was the Blazers coach..

There were times when he'd rather let the other team shoot the 3, because odds are in your favor they'll miss.
Adelman's teams at least had guys who could play perimeter defense. A 3-pointer against this team is like a freethrow.

Dan

·
Registered
762 Posts
If they were going to not foul, the only place they should have played defense was for 3s. Give the 2 and get possession.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.