Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rimshotx:

From Grantland

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2012/10/9/3480512/atlanta-hawks-get-love-from-grantland

The Sneaky Good Team, in Their Way

Atlanta Hawks

They're a bit shallow and small on the wing, and those size issues mean they probably won't be one of the league's half-dozen or so stingiest defenses again this season. But people are sleeping on Atlanta if they think the Joe Johnson trade opened up an easy playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Few teams start a frontline combo as dynamic, on both ends, as the Josh Smith/Al Horford duo. If that's the foundation of your roster, even if it's just a one-year stopgap roster, you're off to a good start.

The combination of more Jeff Teague, Lou Williams, and a dramatic increase in accurate outside shooting should make up for the loss of Johnson's scoring and give Larry Drew the chance to build a faster, more varied offense. The small forward position is an issue, but Drew should be able to cobble together a night-to-night wing rotation out of Williams, Devin Harris (when paired with Teague), Anthony Morrow, Kyle Korver, John Jenkins, and even DeShawn Stevenson. Don't be shocked if Atlanta is playing in - and losing - the no. 4/no. 5 series in the first round.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
..so, nobody?

This team might actually be more fun to watch than previous years. It will be interesting to see how the offense changes, if it does at all. I just don't know if Larry Drew knows enough about basketball.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
This team will be more fun to watch but will ultimately win less, IMO.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much less, do you think?

It feels like the Hawks are just treading water until they can sell the team. Missing out on Dwight Howard sucked.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
I see the Hawks as the 10th or 11th seed in the East this season. If John Wall plays 65+ games this season, I think the Wizards will finish ahead of the Hawks.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
I don't understand why the Hawks didn't go all in on the rebuild. Half measures don't work in this league, and I expect them to be around the 10/11 seed also.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
I could see them fighting for a playoff spot, though I'd rather them fighting for ping pong balls.

I'm sure they didn't do a full on rebuild because the offers weren't there. You don't want to trade Josh Smith or Al Horford for late lotto picks, that's not going to help the cause at all either (nor is it going to make the team more appealing to potential owners). Unloading JJ and Marvin was pretty huge, and I could absolutely see it changing the chemistry of the team in a good way. I don't really care how the team fares in terms of record though, I'm just happy they are making moves and heading in the right direction.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
GO is probably right about the offers not being there, but I hoped they would have unloaded Josh this offseason for a package like a Monta Ellis/Larry Sanders/lottery first or Paul Millsap/Gordon Hayward/mid first or something to that effect.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I don't know if Utah or Milwaukee gives up that much for a soon-to-be free agent who probably wouldn't want to stay in either city.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
I see the Hawks as the 10th or 11th seed in the East this season. If John Wall plays 65+ games this season, I think the Wizards will finish ahead of the Hawks.
The Wizards have the potential to surprise people, but not if John Wall misses any more than a handful of games. Him either taking the next step or not is essentially the Wizards' season in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Yeah, I don't know if Utah or Milwaukee gives up that much for a soon-to-be free agent who probably wouldn't want to stay in either city.
This. No way in hell he would want to stay Milwaukee. If he has a change of heart, then we'll talk. :D

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
My biggest fear as a Pacers fan is that we end up like the Hawks. Solid team every year but can't get past the second round or ever be a serious threat. Getting rid of Joe Johnson was a good move for them but I think they need to consider blowing the entire thing up and rebuild.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you mean fear, you're already there :laugh:. How are you going to get your franchise player? Free agency?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts