Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is he next on the trading block? The Knicks are passing and playing defense. They are clearly not missing him and could turn him into a couple of solid lotto picks to the right team.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Is he next on the trading block? The Knicks are passing and playing defense. They are clearly not missing him and could turn him into a couple of solid lotto picks to the right team.
No team in the NBA is dumb enough to do that except maybe the Wizards.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
I look at it like he'll only be an addition. He's been working hard all offseason and is a smarter guy than he's given credit for. He'll get in where he fits in and with Felton there to keep the offense from being stagnant they'll be fine.

Carmelo and Amare didn't work last year because there wasn't a point guard to keep them from just Isoing on either side of the court...it won't be the same as last year, they could definitely use his ability at the rim and his presence will draw attention too.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
I'd trade him for the right collection of young role players at this point. It's been almost two years, it's obvious that he and 'Melo aren't going to work, and the Knicks have been playing better without him.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I look at it like he'll only be an addition. He's been working hard all offseason and is a smarter guy than he's given credit for. He'll get in where he fits in and with Felton there to keep the offense from being stagnant they'll be fine.

Carmelo and Amare didn't work last year because there wasn't a point guard to keep them from just Isoing on either side of the court...it won't be the same as last year, they could definitely use his ability at the rim and his presence will draw attention too.

So Nash couldn't even stop amare from using, but Felton can?

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Two ball dominant offensive players that don't play defense isn't going to get you anywhere in the playoffs. If they can build around 'Melo with a great defensive cast along with a competent point guard and some scorers here and there they could do some damage. Especially considering how wide open the east is outside of Miami.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts

No...It didn't work because the block is too crowded. Melo playing PF opens things up. Either Chandler or Stoudemire would have to be a backup to continue playing like this.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Two ball dominant offensive players that don't play defense isn't going to get you anywhere in the playoffs.
And this is why the Phoenix Suns never got anywhere...

·
do better
41,522 Posts
OK we will see when he gets back.

I'm not going to argue this down because this board runs off momentum and Amare is not playing and the Knicks haven't lost yet...but suffice to say I disagree and if you choose to call me on it later if I'm proven wrong that's fine. I already explained myself.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
You know its the truth, they gave Arenas the same deal Amare has now after his knee injury and traded for the often injured Nene and his big contract.
I know a bunch of hindsighters will try to shit on me but at that point for Arenas there was still a chance that he would recover and be an all-star, so Grunfeld took a gamble and lost.

And Nene I didn't understand that either but they also didn't trade multiple 1sts for him (especially probably lottery picks).

So don't single the Wizards out off a couple bad moves like other teams haven't made stupid moves too..didn't the Nets just give up a lottery pick for Gerald Wallace?

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
So don't single the Wizards out off a couple bad moves like other teams haven't made stupid moves too..didn't the Nets just give up a lottery pick for Gerald Wallace?
Just saying the Wizards are willing to take risk on players with red flags if Amare get traded they are the first team I can think off that would give good value, I don't think the Nets are an option because I doubt Knicks would trade Amare just to get out of the contract right now.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Just saying the Wizards are willing to take risk on players with red flags if Amare get traded they are the first team I can think off that would give good value, I don't think the Nets are an option because I doubt Knicks would trade Amare just to get out of the contract right now.
A lot of teams are willing to do that, but what is "good value"? They don't even have "good value" at this point except for Wall, a couple young rotation/solid starter players and picks. None of which will either be enough or will be given out. I think you just snuck something in on a whim thinking no one would call you on it except I did

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
OK we will see when he gets back.

I'm not going to argue this down because this board runs off momentum and Amare is not playing and the Knicks haven't lost yet...
Again, no. I've been saying they're better off without him since the summer. When it was announced STAT would be out, I said the Knicks would benefit.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
The Wizards give a max contract to a players coming off a MCL tear with or without hindsight that was at best a questionable at best, trade the #5 pick in 2009 Draft(Ricky Rubio) for Randy Foye and Mike Miller, trade Rashard Lewis' expiring contract for Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor, and I reaching for calling them dumb.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts