Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is everyone happy? anyone feels sorry for kobe? or happy that the lakers miss the playoffs? share ur stories here, this never gets old.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
People act like if Shaq was there, they'd win the title this year. Well, I got news. In 03 they didn't get to the Finals, and last year they had Malone and Payton yet still barely made the Finals (0.4 anybody?), and got swept when they got there (pretty much swept, except for a lucky kobe clutch shot).

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I feel the same way about the Bobcats, Hawks, Bucks, Warriors, Clippers, Hornets, Knicks, Raptors, Bucks, Portland and the Jazz not making the playoffs,

I really don't care

at least they might get a potentially good player in the lottery?

·
Heat fan since 2001
7,145 Posts
lol i didnt know going to the FINALS 4 out of 5 times was such a low accomplishent.

Lakers were always a title contender with Shaq, you dont see many teams winning more than 3 in a row titles.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
sherwin said:
People act like if Shaq was there, they'd win the title this year. Well, I got news. In 03 they didn't get to the Finals, and last year they had Malone and Payton yet still barely made the Finals (0.4 anybody?), and got swept when they got there (pretty much swept, except for a lucky kobe clutch shot).
That's what I've been trying to say but people are all over Shaq's nuts like he's a god or something.. Sure Shaq may have helped win another Pacific Division Banner and be in the NBA Finals but they certainly werent gonna win another title.. You'd be stupid to think they had a chance at another one!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
MiamiHeat03 said:
lol i didnt know going to the FINALS 4 out of 5 times was such a low accomplishent.

Lakers were always a title contender with Shaq, you dont see many teams winning more than 3 in a row titles.
It's definitely a great accomplishment but the thing was, nobody saw the Lakers getting better over the years. They were all too old (besides Kobe) and decided to trade Shaq in order for a brighter future (our team looks really bad right now, but watch us in 2017).

LAKERS NBA CHAMPIONS 2017. :rock:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tempe85 said:
Na na na nah.... na na na nah... Hey hey hey Goodbye!

<center>
Lakers 2004-2005 season
RIP
Born November 2nd, 2004
Died April 5th, 2005

</center>
lol good post, i like kobe, but i hate the lakers as a team. ok kobe haters or shaq
lovers let's not celebrate yet until the heat gets out of east first.

·
Heat fan since 2001
7,145 Posts
you guys are too funny and too much of a homer if you didnt think with Shaq they wouldnt have won another championship. so 2 years is all it took for LA fans to think they could not have won another championship with Shaq?

I guess 00-03 Spurs should have quitted after being the champs in 99 because they couldnt get to the finals the next 3 years.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MiamiHeat03 said:
you guys are too funny and too much of a homer if you didnt think with Shaq they wouldnt have won another championship. so 2 years is all it took for LA fans to think they could not have won another championship with Shaq?

I guess 00-03 Spurs should have quitted after being the champs in 99 because they couldnt get to the finals the next 3 years.
i for one didnt think the lakers had enough to win a championshp this year if shaq was still a laker. i seriously doubt the lakers with shaq could beat the spurs and the suns, even the mavs with dampier.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
MiamiHeat03 said:

I think we stilll wouldve had a shot. I remember the 80s Lakers not always winning, but always being in contention. It wouldve been the same with this squad had Shaq stayed. Sure they wouldnt have won 3 straight again, but they wouldve at least got 1 more IMO, IF(A HUGE IF), Kupchak wouldve surrounded Shaq and Kobe with the right roleplayers.

But who knows, maybe Shaq wouldve never had the motivation to get fit had he stayed in LA. Thats the only reason Id be able to think of which would make us not be perennial contenders for the title.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
MiamiHeat03 said:

Those are different situations.
Duncan was/is younger than Shaq and had a much younger core than the Lakers did.
Fox, Horry, and Fisher couldn't keep playing as competent role players forever.

I mean look at the Heat. They actually have some young athletic guys around Shaq whereas the only athletic players the Lakers had were Kobe and Devean George.

I still don't regret us trading away Shaq however. Do I wish we got better players for him? Definitely. But do I regret it? No, but I might in the future (depending how successful we become in the future).

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Sith said:
i for one didnt think the lakers had enough to win a championshp this year if shaq was still a laker. i seriously doubt the lakers with shaq could beat the spurs and the suns, even the mavs with dampier.
Nope, I think itd still be Spurs/Lakers battle for the Western Conference crown. The winner of those two meeting the ECF Champ.

·
Heat fan since 2001
7,145 Posts
lol well that is certainly your opnion but i think they would have beated all those teams, the only team that would have gotten the Lakers trouble is the Spurs.

Spurs only won 1 series agaisnt the Lakers and Dallas well they were great offensively but bad defensively still they couldnt have beaten the Lakers. Kobe and Shaq is too much.

Detroit Pistons just matchup better with the Lakers. NJ took them to a 7 game series does that mean that NJ>Lakers?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The thing people fail to realize is that this is the first time in about 4yrs Shaq has actually been professional about basketball (getting and staying in shape...committing himself on the defensive end before the 2nd round of the playoffs)....

...trust me if the Shaq of the last couple of season had shown in miami...they wouldn't be nearly as good

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
First Priority: Bulls in the playoffs-- Check

Second Priority: Lebron in the playoffs--ummmmm not looking so good right now.

Third Priority: Rooting for the Lakers and Kobe to miss the playoffs.

As you can see, I'm busy with number 2 right now. It remains to be seen if I will ever reach number 3. If the Basketball Gods want to teach me humility and keep me from being an arrogant *******, then they will let the Cavs drop out of the playoffs. Keeping me humble, and drawing me closer to the Bulls.

But the basketball gods are fickle gods Laker fans. So be weary.

It's hard to remember, but wasn't there a point at this season where their teams were like this:
Lebron
Kobe
Then T-mac.

Amazing how quickly fortunes can change.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts