Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Westbrook officially in the fold for this year and next, what is the outlook for this team?

PGs
Obviously, this is the strength of the team. They have one of the 7 best players in the world at this position. They also have a very nice prospect in Cameron Payne and a SG (Oladipo) who can play some PG minutes in certain line-ups. Sure they could stand to add a vet for the deep bench, but this spot is still pretty solid.

SGs
I personally see Oladpio as the big, big favorite to start in this spot. He needed a change of scenery and a backcourt running mate that could ballhawk on the perimeter with him and then get out on the break and run. If he becomes a better-than-passable shooter, these guys will be really dangerous. Behind him, you've got the youngster Abrines and the veteran Morrow. Lots of offense between those two, but can they stop anyone? Roberson could also play minutes here in bigger line-ups.

SFs
Incumbent SG Andre Roberson is the most likely candidate to start here opening night, but I could easily see Donovan experimenting with Singler, Ilyasova, Morrow, or possibly even Josh Huestis in this spot from game-to-game. This position is a fairly open race at this point. Regardless of who emerges from that logjam, this is by far the weakest position on the roster. I wonder if Presti has anything up his sleeve to improve this spot. Is Rudy Gay a possibility?

PFs
This spot is probably Kanter's to lose. Of course they have the veteran Collison and the young prospect McGary, but Ilyasova has also been a starting PF in this league at times in the past. I wouldn't completely rule out this team going small. Still, it will likely be Kanter getting the bulk of the minutes here. And with him with the starters, who is going to provide the scoring punch off the bench?

Cs
Steven Adams is the team's second best player. Behind him you've got incoming rookie Domantas Sabonis, spot minutes for Kanter in smaller line-ups, and even less spot minutes in even smaller line-ups for Collison. They probably need to make a move to bolster this position with a 3rd-string veteran before the season starts.

Overall
So what does all of that add up to? Out of all the players on this roster who shot more than a 3-pointer per game last season, 3 of their top 4 range shooters (Durant, Ibaka, and Waiters) are gone. Oladipo and Ilyasova will likely be their best 3-pt shooters (other than Morrow) next season. That is HORRIBLE news for their spacing. This team is going to be a pretty big challenge for Donovan to create an offensive gameplan around. As a big Donovan guy myself, I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Defensively, they lost the majority of their length. Oladipo is a solid on-ball defender, but losing the wingspans of Durant and Ibaka has the potential to be extremely detrimental to their ability to protect the rim. If they decide to start Ilyasova AND Kanter, they could possibly be one of the worst defensive teams in the Western Conference. You can't hide both of them possession after possession.

This team really worries me. On paper I think the Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, Jazz, Wolves, Blazers, Rockets, and Grizzlies all have better all-around rosters than the Thunder. Then there's a chance that the Mavericks and possibly even the Pelicans could be better as well. It will take a truly Herculean effort from Westbrook for this team to win 40 games without some major moves on the horizon. Here's hoping Presti can work some magic before the trade deadline.

·
#OK3
9,920 Posts
The rockets? Seriously? Without Dwight?

Rockets / wolves / jazz need to prove it first.

Wolves don't just go from picking 6th to a playoff team without growing pains

Are these teams better than the thunder... Possibly

West is def more wide open than usual... As it should be with the Warriors

Sabonis will get some run at PF for sure.... A 3 man rotation between those guys seems somewhat likely

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rockets? Seriously? Without Dwight?
Yes. I think the Rockets got better this offseason. They won't miss Dwight all that much with D'Antoni in the fold. Expect Motiejunas to play a good bit of his minutes at the 5 spot behind Capela. If the Thunder had added EG and Ryan Anderson this offseason, I would like them more. I see the Rockets improving from 41 wins last season to between 44 and 48 wins this season.

Rockets / wolves / jazz need to prove it first.

Wolves don't just go from picking 6th to a playoff team without growing pains

Are these teams better than the thunder... Possibly
Which is why I said "on paper".

The Thunder have a bit taller of a mountain to climb to "prove it" than those other teams do, IMO.... where proving it is proving that they can win better than 50% of their games without Durant and Ibaka.

·
#OK3
9,920 Posts
I dunno.... The thunder lost a lot but IMO don't have as much to prove as a team like the wolves and rockets....

I think you'll see Westbrook / Oladipo / Roberson / Kanter / Adams and that's not THAT bad IMO. They at least have defense

Rockets will score without regard to defending.

Has anyone considered the numbers harden is gonna put up?

Forget Westbrook... Harden might go for 30+ PPG with ease

1 - 4 of 4 Posts