Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today I was looking over a list of guys on the CBA all star team and, lo and behold, there was Roy Tarpley. The guy is 38 years old.

It just made me so sad. What a waste of talent.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, but I give him credit for still playing and trying to chase his dream of playing again...maybe he's changed the course of his life...everyone makes mistakes...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HoustonHoopa33</b>!
Yeah, but I give him credit for still playing and trying to chase his dream of playing again...maybe he's changed the course of his life...everyone makes mistakes...
Uhh, I seem to be out of the loophole here. Sorry but, I've never even heard of him before. Could someone please inform me why its so sad, and what his mistakes were. If it's okay to talk about on the board.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
IIRC, he was a high draft pick of the Mavericks who was repeatedly suspended and then essentially banned for being an addict. Simply could not get & stay sober to save his career. Had as much natural talent as anyone in the L. Power forward. This is all from memory, without doing a google, I hope I have this mostly correct.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
I think it might be a stretch to say he had as much talent as anyone in the league. He was never a superstar, as I recall. He was a very good player...a good scorer and rebounder.

He never could kick drugs and finally suspensions gave way to a ban.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Earlier today I was looking over a list of guys on the CBA all star team and, lo and behold, there was Roy Tarpley. The guy is 38 years old.

It just made me so sad. What a waste of talent.
OH NO !! didnt he had a felony that forced him to fled the country avoid prosecution ?? i believe they mentioned it on a program about draft 86 on espn a while ago, he had a felony for tax eviction and he fled the country for the reason of that, and also he violated the league's drug policy back then.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: So Sad

Originally posted by <b>KIMCHI</b>!

OH NO !! didnt he had a felony that forced him to fled the country avoid prosecution ?? i believe they mentioned it on a program about draft 86 on espn a while ago, he had a felony for tax eviction and he fled the country for the reason of that, and also he violated the league's drug policy back then.
No, he was suspended twice for drug abuse and then banned from the NBA for life for using alcohol, which violated the terms of his aftercare program.

Tarpley was very, very talented. He averaged 18 ppg stoned. Who knows what he could have accomplished if sober? He was a great rebounder, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts