Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to Portland shortly after my 11th birthday, back in 1985. The Blazers quickly became the first team that I have been really attached to as a fan. Since then, I have enjoyed other sports and other teams, but the Blazers are the only franchise that I have been a true blue fan of.
...and now, this is the first time in my history with the Blazers that I feel that my team kind of sucks. I am not going to many games, and am not rushing home to see the games on tv. I always still read the paper the next day, but my level of enthusasiam is lower. The things that intrest me not are not stat scores but trade rumers. I still am a fan, and will be going to a game two games in Feb. but I just am not excited about the Blazers, and that sucks.

Just telling you all my view.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
If this board is a measuring stick on how the true fans of the Blazers feel than Nash better buy a month supply of meth and make something happen in a hurry.

My feeling is most fans in Portland are already reading the recruiting pages for next years football season.

It's okay this team is going through changes if they're growing and getting better but that's not the case is it?

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
The Blazers are in a tough spot. Interest was waning with the excuse of poor character and community connection. The public was screaming for change. They took that into account and the team has become slightly worse, and yet fans struggle with losing.

Well this could be what we need to get used to, but then again we thought we were hewaded that way several years ago (after Adelman was let go) and we managed to come back fairly quik. Let's hope we can do that again.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!

...It's okay this team is going through changes if they're growing and getting better but that's not the case is it?
Can you think of any other team in the history of sports that has a) been put in the similar type of position that Patterson and Nash have been faced with and b) won, regardlessly?

To do what needs to be done in righting this ship, necessitates a reasonable transition (translation: losing) period.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
the Blazers lost half their fan base through years of PR disasters.
many of us who remained didn't care that much (or even found it amusing, in my case) because the team still spent a lot of money and it still won a lot of games.

now the Blazers have given up on winning and are heading toward character and fiscal conservatism. they are banking that they can win that first group back while completely alienating the second group.

I suspect, however, that Portlanders who were turned off by PR fiascos aren't going to come back in droves to a "loveable loser" squad. too much damage done, and local media won't let them forget it.

instead, I think management is just alienating guys like me who want to see hight talent winners, regardless of character.

looking back, I wish management could've just learned to market the joy of being the Sauron of the NBA. let Duncan and Garnett be Frodo and Samwise--we had a pretty fun time launching legions of orcs out on their quests of carnage, on and off the court. our only mistake was overpaying them for their talent, and buying a hopeless cave troll in Kemp. and dumping our precious Jermaine for a used up journeyman center.

Blazer management could've made it cool to be bad. sort of a cross between the Raiders, the Pistons and a San Quentin pickup team. the screwball antics of Damon and Qyntel could've lent it a sense of oh-so-hip irony.

now where are we? stuck in the Shire hearing tales from distant lands about how others are fighting it out. getting more likeable by the day, and I hate it.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
I suspect, however, that Portlanders who were turned off by PR fiascos aren't going to come back in droves to a "loveable loser" squad. too much damage done, and local media won't let them forget it.....
Good post, theWanker.

This summer, I had decided to give Patternash - and live with - one full season (grace) to do what they have to do.

However, I expect a competetive and winning team by the 2004/2005 season. :cool:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This team kind of reminds me of the mid 90's Blazer teams. Cliff Robinson, and Rod Strickland were our best players. It was a middle of the pack bunch with some talent that would barely squeek into the playoffs. This Blazer team would be squeeking in too if it weren't for the Western Conference being so loaded this year.

The Blazers seem to run in a cycle where they peak at the end of each decade, then drop into mediocrity during the middle years.

·
Registered
540 Posts
And ya'll got on me for saying this team sucks. :whoknows:

·
Registered
67 Posts
the problem is that portland's stuck as a team that could still make a run to the playoffs, but not good enough to really make any noise. portland's been in the playoffs forever, and not making it seems like it's not an option.

my problem with portland right now is that the need to decide if we're going to seriously make some kind of noise this year, or fold our hand and re-stack for next year. our management is doing neither, and that's the sad thing. we need to pick a strategy and go with it, either lets get building for our future, or make some moves that can help this years squad out.

portland's gone from being known as one of the best franchises in sports to being the laughing stock of the nba, even more so than the clippers, and that's just sad. we need to do something, and something fast would be nice, this waiting is just driving me crazy...

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RetroBlazers</b>!

my problem with portland right now is that the need to decide if we're going to seriously make some kind of noise this year, or fold our hand and re-stack for next year. our management is doing neither, and that's the sad thing. we need to pick a strategy and go with it, either lets get building for our future, or make some moves that can help this years squad out.
I agree with you, but I think that the Blazers DID make a choice... they decided not to sign Payton this summer, and then they compounded that decision by trading Wells.

If they thought they could get by (meaning: into the playoffs and perhaps past the first round) without an upgrade at the PG and by moving Wells for cap space and a future pick, then they were fools.

With all of this said, I don't think it's necessary to blow anything up. The team might even be best served to re-sign Rasheed this summer, depending on how cheaply he'd come. In the summer of 2005, the Blazers will be out from under Damon's contract, and Dale Davis's contract, and Kemp's deal will be one year gone, and even with Rasheed on board they should be in a good position to make a run at a major FA. If ZR, Woods, and any of their (presumably pretty nice) first round picks develop in the mean time, 2005-06 could be a good season for a bounce back.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
having a cancerous wells around wouldn't have made this team any better. this team has been dysfunctional since they lost the WCF 2000. The next year they tanked badly, the next year they tanked again and the next year the squeeked in once more, showed a little fight then lost once again in the 1st round. over that span they lost all their dependable veterans and kept the 3 most dysfunctional dudes (damon, bonzi and sheed) hoping and praying (i guess) they'd grow up.

well its almost 4yrs later and these dudes ain't gonna grow up anytime soon and they haven't improved (if anything they've regressed) one is already gone leaving now only 2 diaper wearing adults (sheed and damon) left on the squad from the "old days". Unfortunately they happen to be 2 cornerstones. That's the main problem. You swap out Sheed for some talent at SG or SF and swap out Damon for some equal talent at PG and this team is probably immediately better both on the court and off.

when damon and sheed are gone, people will come back to the blazers, assuming they don't fill those slots with equal knuckleheads.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
Blazer management could've made it cool to be bad. sort of a cross between the Raiders, the Pistons and a San Quentin pickup team. the screwball antics of Damon and Qyntel could've lent it a sense of oh-so-hip irony.
After watching a documentary on HBO about the Oakland A's and Raiders of the 70’s and the way their teams marketed and embraced their bad boy image I thought the exact same thing.

The Blazers did a horrible job of marketing this team the past few seasons. They should have attempted to embrace the bad boy image going as far as to make the fans feel as though they were a part of it (the us against the world mentality was there for the taking). Instead they attempted to mask it while leaving the team susceptible to the extremely sensitive microscope wielded by the local media.

------

The thing about the Blazers I miss more then anything is their toughness and bad guy image. Wells' ability to punish opposing shooting guards in the post. Davis' knack for knocked people around and played with a sort of tough guy swagger. Patterson's refusal to back down form any challenge defensively. Pippen's long and pesky defensive ability and even Rasheed's uncontrollable rage…

A bit further back there were the likes of Rider, Jackson, Anthony Trent, Grant and Augman whom were all tough players that helped make the Blazers a team that opponents feared.

Now you take a look at the roster and you see softness as far as the eyes can see.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Enigma</b>!
After watching a documentary on HBO about the Oakland A's and Raiders of the 70’s and the way their teams marketed and embraced their bad boy image I thought the exact same thing.

The Blazers did a horrible job of marketing this team the past few seasons. They should have attempted to embrace the bad boy image going as far as to make the fans feel as though they were a part of it (the us against the world mentality was there for the taking). Instead they attempted to mask it while leaving the team susceptible to the extremely sensitive microscope wielded by the local media.
That wouldn't have worked in Portland. Portland isn't Oakland. It isn't Detroit. It isn't Pittsburg. It's more like San Francisco 20 years ago or Seattle with less irony. I see no similarities between Portland and a gritty/tough city like Oakland that craves rooting for the gutter-trash underdog. Portlanders don't want a team of bad boys. They want a team they can cuddle up with. They want players who will help old ladies across the street. At the same time, Portlanders are pretty savvy. They would have recognized and rejected any slick marketing campaigns to make bad behavior look attractive.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!
I see no similarities between Portland and a gritty/tough city like Oakland that craves rooting for the gutter-trash underdog. Portlanders don't want a team of bad boys. They want a team they can cuddle up with. They want players who will help old ladies across the street.
I definitely agree that Portland is nothing like those other cities for reasons you stated above. Yet, I'm not so sure about hte cuddle up type of thing. I actually agree with The Enigma about a few things on that note. Portland had some tough players a few years back when they were playing well and getting to conference finals. Guys like Rider, Wells, B. Grant, Trent, Sabonis, Augmon, and others were fearless and played great defense. I don't see that on this current team. The current Blazers are very soft on defense and not knocking guys down in the lane. Portland did have more talent on those winning teams but they also played much tougher on the defensive side of things. I even think Sheed was a little tougher in the paint. Portland was big and strong and used that as an advantage. I don't see that talent or the effort by many on the current team. For all of the crap people give Ruben Patterson, I think he brings it every night and you can always count on him trying hard. You can't say that about most of the Blazers. I actually hope they can keep him. Portland needs more of those type of players among other things.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
until about ten years ago, it was long considered vulgar for women to smoke in many parts of China. Phillip Morris put up tons of billboards featuring sophisticated American women wheezing away on cancer sticks. they changed a lot of minds and it now is a huge market for them.

another example--Marboro started off as a lady's cigarette in the 1940's. they stuck one in a cowboy's face and completely overhauled their market.

Portlanders may think they want a cuddly, kinder, gentler Blazers, but a lot of that is just because that's what's been sold to them. if somebody had told fans that it's actually FUN watching these sideshow freaks beat other teams, maybe people would've bought into it.

alas. too late now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts