Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hadn't researched this, so the rest of you probaly know all this already. Correct me if this information is wrong.

http://www.insidehoops.com/curry-trade-knicks-100405.shtml

So we get their 2006 (most likely) lottery pick, since they are playing so poorly (and San Antonio playing so well). In addition, we get to swap 2007 draft picks with the Knicks. Assuming we are a good-decent team and get the 20th pick in 2007, we can swap with the Knicks potentially high lottery pick. I am really liking this trade, more and more.

·
Registered
579 Posts
lougehrig said:
I hadn't researched this, so the rest of you probaly know all this already. Correct me if this information is wrong.

http://www.insidehoops.com/curry-trade-knicks-100405.shtml

So we get their 2006 (most likely) lottery pick, since they are playing so poorly (and San Antonio playing so well). In addition, we get to swap 2007 draft picks with the Knicks. Assuming we are a good-decent team and get the 20th pick in 2007, we can swap with the Knicks potentially high lottery pick. I am really liking this trade, more and more.
That's correct if memory serves. We also got the Knicks' second rounders in 07 and 09 if I'm not mistaken. If Sweets keeps playing well and we get high picks from the Knicks that could end up being one of the best trades in Bulls history.

·
Registered
182 Posts
you're both correct. and neither picks are (top) protected. here is a possible outcome:

chicago trades: eddy curry, antonio davis, 24th pick in the 2007 draft.

chicago receives: mike sweetney, tim thomas, jermaine jackson, rudy gay (#1 pick in 2006 draft), greg oden (#1 pick in 2007 draft), 32nd pick in 2007 draft (the next michael redd), 41st pick in the 2009 draft (the next carlos boozer)

unlikely? of course. possible? you bet your mentally challenged donkey's left nut it is.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Unfortunately, the Knicks aren't as bad as their record. I've been watching them a lot and see a lot of improvement in just a few games. New coach and a lot of young players takes some time to gell, but my prediction is the Knicks win betw 27 to 32 games giving them about the 8 to 10 position with lottery balls this season. Next season the Knicks are probably a 35 to 40 win team. So the Bulls maybe swapping the 20 for the 16.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Definitely, not so much the talent we traded away, but we received a decent player in Sweetney, and the draft picks are going to be great because Larry Brown is coaching like Tim Floyd!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
The Knicks are 0-5 but they have played in some very close games. Some, not all. Its unreasonable to think they will actually finish with one of the worst records in the league. They have too much talent and too good a coach.

I'm rooting for top 9 as best case scenario prior to the lottery balls going up, and then hoping to get lucky.

As for next year, I'm still convinced (barring unforeseen injury issues) that the Bulls WILL swap the pick because they will be better than the Knicks. But I don't expect that pick swap to yield a lottery pick in year 2 of the Larry Brown Era. If he can't get this unit together, they will trade some of that talent for substance. Plus, I like Lee and Frye a lot. I expect them to be making a very solid contribution with some real winning style basketball by year 2.

The Knicks are losing right now, but they don't suck like an 0-5 team. They are going to get their wins.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I too have watched the knicks games and i am sorry but we can agree to disagree. Teams like the knicks, and the bulls of 2 years ago with JR, JC, and EC always look good even thro they lose game after game. That is because they dont do the little things that win games but put all there energy to show boating on the offensive game.

The knicks dont play much defensive, dont hustle, dont rotate on D, and miss assignment after assignment. That is why they are 0 - 5 and that is why they will have the 5th or 6th worst record. Also, as this team melts down on this and their next west coast road trip the rumors about trades and what not along with LB benching players should result in total kniick meltdown.

2005 / 2006 knick team will win like 25-30 gamaes.

david

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
giusd said:
I too have watched the knicks games and i am sorry but we can agree to disagree. Teams like the knicks, and the bulls of 2 years ago with JR, JC, and EC always look good even thro they lose game after game. That is because they dont do the little things that win games but put all there energy to show boating on the offensive game.

The knicks dont play much defensive, dont hustle, dont rotate on D, and miss assignment after assignment. That is why they are 0 - 5 and that is why they will have the 5th or 6th worst record. Also, as this team melts down on this and their next west coast road trip the rumors about trades and what not along with LB benching players should result in total kniick meltdown.

david

I agree. They have played a pretty easy schedule so far. Just wait until they get into the likes of Miami, Detroit, Indiana, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Chicago, etc....etc....

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Knicks five losses were to:

1. Boston 14
2. Washington 11
3. Golden State 2
4. Portland 12
5. Golden state 2

I think GS could be a playoff team this year.Both LA teams and GS will fight for the spots.

Our five losses last season:

1. Nets by 5
2. Indiana 10
3. suns 20
4. Clippers 1
5. kings 7.

We were 2-13 after 15 games, not just 0-9.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
ztect said:
Unfortunately, the Knicks aren't as bad as their record. I've been watching them a lot and see a lot of improvement in just a few games. New coach and a lot of young players takes some time to gell, but my prediction is the Knicks win betw 27 to 32 games giving them about the 8 to 10 position with lottery balls this season. Next season the Knicks are probably a 35 to 40 win team. So the Bulls maybe swapping the 20 for the 16.
I agree with your Knick win totals, but I think 27-32 could actually land the Bulls as high as thr fourth slot. The parity between East and West and limited number of teams tanking it, will make the draft landscape look differently this year.

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
truebluefan said:
Knicks five losses were to:

We were 2-13 after 15 games, not just 0-9.
Good point! However, how many teams have turned around like the Bulls did last year? Not many. I understand that the Knicks may be able to do what we did but "it's still a long shot especially when they haven't won a single game". As a Bulls fan, I have been cheering for the Knicks opponent even against SA which is one of my least favorite teams. We can say that "it's heading to the direction for us"

·
Registered
739 Posts
giusd said:

david

I'm not a knick fan but their defense is not that bad , they only allow 92 points a game . the problems is they have a horrible shot selection and make stupid turnovers

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
We still only have two more wins than the Knicks. Two games. We have Utah tonight and then a huge *** road trip. The Knicks are in the middle of a road trip.

If you guys are talking about the Knicks as a possible top 4 lottery team, what does that make us if we're only two wins better? A lower level lottery?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
futuristxen said:
We still only have two more wins than the Knicks. Two games. We have Utah tonight and then a huge *** road trip. The Knicks are in the middle of a road trip.

If you guys are talking about the Knicks as a possible top 4 lottery team, what does that make us if we're only two wins better? A lower level lottery?
Uh...we could be 4-0 easily. Not sure if you know, but we lost in OT to the Spurs (best team in the NBA) and the Nets (top 4 in the East).

·
Registered
572 Posts
futuristxen said:

Don't you see the difference?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
lougehrig said:
Uh...we could be 4-0 easily. Not sure if you know, but we lost in OT to the Spurs (best team in the NBA) and the Nets (top 4 in the East).
We also benefited tremendously from the schedule while playing these two teams, since both were on the back end of back to backs where both travel the night before....same thing with GS.

Let's see how we do Monday night against a GS opponent that isn't in the final game of a road trip that hadn't played the night before. THis will be a better barometer of where the Bulls really are. One thing that may happen is that the Bulls won't be able to dig themselves out of the first half deficits that they've been getting themselves in, since a team that hasn't played the night before will not wear down as easily in the 4th quarter. Bulls may not be as competitive against GS as the Knicks.

Interesting tonight again against Utah, bulls get an opponent on the back end of a traveling back to back. That 4 out of the first 5 opponents. Bulls don't have their first back to back until 11/25- 11/26 which will be the first of three back to backs.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ztect said:
We also benefited tremendously from the schedule while playing these two teams, since both were on the back end of back to backs where both travel the night before....same thing with GS.

Let's see how we do Monday night against a GS opponent that isn't in the final game of a road trip that hadn't played the night before. THis will be a better barometer of where the Bulls really are. One thing that may happen is that the Bulls won't be able to dig themselves out of the first half deficits that they've been getting themselves in, since a team that hasn't played the night before will not wear down as easily in the 4th quarter. Bulls may not be as competitive against GS as the Knicks.

Interesting tonight again against Utah, bulls get an opponent on the back end of a traveling back to back. That 4 out of the first 5 opponents. Bulls don't have their first back to back until 11/25- 11/26 which will be the first of three back to backs.

why is it when the bulls win or play well it's because we have it easy...and when the knicks play poorly it's because they have had it so rough and are adjusting to a new coach, etc...etc...

I think this is the reality. The Bulls are a solid NBA team who will be in every game night in and night out because we play excellent team defense. We won 47 games last year and led the league in FG% against. All the pieces that helped in the defense are back and better than ever. There is no reason to expect otherwise. The Knicks are an atrocious NBA team who doesn't play defense and has no team chemistry. Their only solid rebounder and defender (Kurt Thomas) was traded away and they picked up two soft players (QRich and Curry). Don't kid yourself people. If you have watched any of the Knick and Bull games you would surely notice this.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
By the way, the lottery is fun because it is, in fact, a lottery.

2005- Milwaukee
2004- Orlando
2003- Cleveland (actually the worst team)
2002- Houston
2001- Washington

Or here's another way of putting it. Over six years, we were consistently the worst basketball team and franchise in the league. It showed in our record, it showed in every part of our team. But how many times did we end up with the #1 overall pick?

Zero.

There's absolutely no reason to run any regressions on what % chance had the shot at the #1 pick, because it's independently random.

But I will note that wherever the Knicks are in the lottery, if they have lots of ping-pong balls, we certainly have some sort of chance at a top-3 pick.

I'd be just fine with the #7 pick and for our own pick to be #15. With #7 I'd pick Shelden Williams; with #15 I'd go with Josh Boone. It would be Paxson's imitation of Krause's Twin Towers. With the 2nd rounder, I'd pick Shannon Brown or Bobby Jones (who played with Chandler in high school and has developed quite some serious game up at Washington).

A dream draft would be to get Ronnie Brewer from Arkansas at #7 (guys like Wright and Graham dropped to the 15 range, actually; maybe Brewer would too) and then for Shelden to be available at 15 (again, Sean May dropped pretty far as well, and he was quite the dominant collegiate big).

In any event, I look forward to having the Bulls back in the draft, this time looking for roles to fill that aren't centerpieces.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts