Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the chances of Houston actually snagging Ming?

And therefore leaving us ironically at the 2, with basically the same leverage we would have had if we had got the 1.

On a scale of 1-10:

I give them a 7.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I would say an 8. I am curious to see how things develop between Yao's Chinese contingent and the Rocket's Org. Hopefully the Chinese do not try to play hardball.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

this situation seems to have gotten extremely bizarre -- I mean this is probably the first time in NBA history teams were worried about appeasing (or at least maintaining solid relations with) another country. in particular a country which already has some fairly strained relations with our own country. (I doubt America, or Americans will ever feel particularly comfortable dealing with a communist nation)

there is so much brew-ha ha surrounding the #1 pick, and I for one don't feel good for the Houston franchise. it seems they have to balance their own team needs with requirement to "make nice" with the Chinese.
taking Yao Ming #1 and keeping him, is the simplest solution, and it makes the least waves... but it's hard to conclusively believe that Yao Ming is going to be the player of most benefit to the Houston team.

i for one don't buy it -- and Houston may even have to delude themselves into buying it. i would hope that a professional sport franchise doesn't make their decisions that way (even if it does benefit the franchise I hold most dear) -- and therefore give it a 5.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
What are the chances of Houston actually snagging Ming?

And therefore leaving us ironically at the 2, with basically the same leverage we would have had if we had got the 1.

On a scale of 1-10:

I give them a 7.
I would say they are pretty right on target:cheers:

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
That was funny. At that time, I was glad to not get Yao, as I really don't like him, but considering how Williams threw his career away by getting into an accident, Yao's looking a whole lot better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts