Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I hope he does and I hope that we are in position to get him. We need a player like Deng. Okafor is nice and he can allow us to do some things in the trade market. But Deng, makes sense.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I know Deng has lots of fans here but I'm a little confused. I like this kid's athleticism and court sense, but I'm not sold on him contributing with the Bulls next year. After seeing a few games of him, I'm not really sold. I see Darius Miles w/ a post up game.

Can someone convince me otherwise? Maybe I'm working with too small a sample (3 games)... but how do you think his game will translate in the pros?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I like an awful lot. I wish though he would come back to Duke for one year and work on that perimeter shot some more but I don't see it happening. Don't like the Darius Miles comparision. Deng is a legit 6'8 220lb SF who is a very good passer, ball handler, amazing court vision and anticipates well on defense and has very long arms. Not sure who I would compare him to, maybe Mashburn with better passing skills? His idol is Grant Hill. He wants to mirror his game there.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!
I know Deng has lots of fans here but I'm a little confused. I like this kid's athleticism and court sense, but I'm not sold on him contributing with the Bulls next year. After seeing a few games of him, I'm not really sold. I see Darius Miles w/ a post up game.

Can someone convince me otherwise? Maybe I'm working with too small a sample (3 games)... but how do you think his game will translate in the pros?
I don't see Darius Miles, but I agree I don't think he will be major contributor next season.

I hope he stays in school, since his game can still evolve.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts

Yeah,

Darius Miles, with a post game, better rebounding skills, range out to the three, and better D. Which to me is just perfect for your francise sf...

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Well, I don't know about Will He Or Won't He, but this guy's stats are very impressive:

GMS MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
21 30.2 14.3 7.0 1.9 2.5 1/1.3 1.2 1.1 1.9 .468 .672 .358 1.21

I'm impressed with the .468 fg % (higher than Darius Miles), the solid rebounding, and the good 3pt %. Deng can shoot, pass, dribble, post up, board, and play some D. He's actually a pretty flawless prosect with ideal size. I see him very much in the mold of a Carmelo Anthony, with guard handling and shooting skills, and a forward's post up game. Lots of people talk about how explosive an athlete he is. Frankly, I haven't seen blazing speed out of the guy at the 3 position. Still, I think he's got mad game, and he's clearly one of the two top college prospects to me.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
No Deng is not the fastest guy at all but he does get up and down the court very well. The thing that impresses me the most about him though is his basketball IQ. He is one of the most intelligent freshman players in college basketball I have ever seen. As for him and Melo. Melo is the better scorer but Deng is not far behind him at all, only marginally. Thing to remember is how loaded Duke is with talent. From Redick to Williams to Ewing to Duhon to Randolph there is a lot of options and this is a huge reason why Deng is not putting up the scoring numbers Melo did. His overall game though has been very impressive.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!
Well, I don't know about Will He Or Won't He, but this guy's stats are very impressive:

GMS MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
21 30.2 14.3 7.0 1.9 2.5 1/1.3 1.2 1.1 1.9 .468 .672 .358 1.21

I'm impressed with the .468 fg % (higher than Darius Miles), the solid rebounding, and the good 3pt %. Deng can shoot, pass, dribble, post up, board, and play some D. He's actually a pretty flawless prosect with ideal size. I see him very much in the mold of a Carmelo Anthony, with guard handling and shooting skills, and a forward's post up game. Lots of people talk about how explosive an athlete he is. Frankly, I haven't seen blazing speed out of the guy at the 3 position. Still, I think he's got mad game, and he's clearly one of the two top college prospects to me.
Wow it seems Deng has become the panacea of sorts in this draft. Guess I'll have to take a closer look at this kid. ;)

·
Registered
8,438 Posts

Wow it seems Deng has become the panacea of sorts in this draft. Guess I'll have to take a closer look at this kid. ;)
Common, man. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. That needs to be the marketing campaign for our 10 year rebuilding plan....

Anyway, what's up with Maddux? Are the Dodgers serious?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

Common, man. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. That needs to be the marketing campaign for our 10 year rebuilding plan....

Anyway, what's up with Maddux? Are the Dodgers serious?
HAHA. Gotta love the Bulls failed marketing campaigns, though not near as bad as the White Sox.

Yeah I don't know about Maddux. I've been hearing both sides that he's gonna sign or not going to... so at this point I'm not overly concerned either way. I really hate Boras but that's for another thread I guess.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Deng is the guy that either makes this a good crop, or a below average crop. I wouldnt call this draft a terrible crew, but in comparison to the 05 draft and the 03 draft, its looks bad. But Deng and Okafor are future All NBA types. And 2 All NBA types in the same draft are rare.

05 is going to be officially the foreign invasion it appears. and not just from Europe. There could be 2 or 3 Asians taken in round 1. I am on record saying 17 foreign kids could be taken in round 1 next year. Including Nemanja Aleksandrov as the number one pick, Johan Petro, Predrag Samarkzinski, Yi Jianlin, Tahirou Sani, etc. Might as well know a little about these kids since the Bulls are an 80% certainty of being back in the lottery in 05

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
RLucas, Super, DMD, et al.

Have you guys had a chance to check out the hs talent for this year yet... I got my first glimpse yesterday, and there was no one who made me as excited as Ebi and obviously Lebron did last year? I look for potential and the like, but can't understand how someone would be able to pick Howard over Deng/Okafor.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C.C.C.P</b>!
RLucas, Super, DMD, et al.

Have you guys had a chance to check out the hs talent for this year yet... I got my first glimpse yesterday, and there was no one who made me as excited as Ebi and obviously Lebron did last year? I look for potential and the like, but can't understand how someone would be able to pick Howard over Deng/Okafor.
Yeah, it doesnt make sense to me. But when you talk to people, howard is the top guy. I dont know why. But its the way it is. though I think the Bulls would pass on him to take Okafor or Deng if they lucked into that pick. This crop is ok. Its kind of a futures crop. I mean, Pavel is a top 5 pick, but I have seen him and he is a huge project. So is the kid from korea who is moving back up. kosta perovic isnt a project but he may have contract issues. Bindrins has been lurking around lottery land this whole season but he is no Lampe in terms of talent. So its a strange crop. Drejer is a nice player, whom I like, but he is a lottery pick and he might not be the best player on his own team. Then there is a kid like James White who is a project with huge upside lurking around. There might be some guys in 3-4 years who are going to be tremendous players, but on day one, only Okafor and Deng is going to help a team. Igoudala might too

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I think Deng stays @ Duke at least for one more season, but he won't stay longer than three years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts